Powertap Pro+ With Garmin Edge 500

82zman

Mar 27, 2006
A few years back when I sold my bike for a new one I let the Powertap go with it because I was waiting for the pedal power meter called the Vector. Garmin purchased Metrigear and that gave me more reason for hope. Looks like at the very best this will not be out until this fall and I am not interested in purchasing a "first of" product because there will be bugs. I just ordered a Powertap Pro+ and I am going to pair it up with my Garmin Edge 500. Anyone else running this combo? If so how is it working for you and are there any issues?

I have the combo with Edge 705 and works perfect.

Most of my friends have it with 500, same result. You won't have problems.

Only tricky thing with mine was that I needed to put wheel diameter directly to have correct speed. I'm not sure if this was corrected in 500.

Just make sure "smart recording" is off, it should be, but the 3.0 update has been said to make it come on. Also make sure it is set to average with zeros for both power and cadence and I prefer to have auto pause off as well.

bgoetz said:
Just make sure "smart recording" is off, it should be, but the 3.0 update has been said to make it come on. Also make sure it is set to average with zeros for both power and cadence and I prefer to have auto pause off as well.
Auto pause shouldn't affect the readings. Did you see an effect on power readings w/ auto pause?

alienator said:
Auto pause shouldn't affect the readings. Did you see an effect on power readings w/ auto pause?
Not in Garmin Connect, it seems to account for it, but if I put my data into WKO it wants to try to account for the time. So what I end up with is a slightly longer duration and a higher TSS, especially if I stopped for a period of time, like just before a race start. Averages and NP seem fine.

bgoetz said:
Not in Garmin Connect, it seems to account for it, but if I put my data into WKO it wants to try to account for the time. So what I end up with is a slightly longer duration and a higher TSS, especially if I stopped for a period of time, like just before a race start. Averages and NP seem fine.
You should ask the WKO folks why that is happening, and if it's intended to function that way, what the reasoning is.

A lot of guys I train with leave it off with the perspective that it is time spent training. Maybe WKO views it the same. It is possible that I have something set wrong in WKO too. Like I said I use connect and have just been using the trial version to compare.