Powertap, problem with HR

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by Camoscio, May 2, 2006.

1. Camoscio

Camoscio New Member

Hi.
    I've a Powertap, bought on december 2005. Since march 2006 the HR didn't work...
    I've tried changing battery on HR chest strap but never changing. The PT display says "0" on HR ...What's the problem? On HR Chest strap or on PT receiver?? What do I have to do??
    Thanks..
    Omar Di Felice

Tags:

2. Woofer

Woofer New Member

The easy way to test this is to find someone else with a non coded receiver such as another PowerTap CPU or noncoded Polar or the older SRM's and see if your belt works with them. If you are on good terms with your local bikeshop see if you can convince them to let you use their demo hrm with your transmitter.

There is not an easy way to test any powermeter very much - short of having spare parts.

3. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

My guess -- it ain't batteries, it ain't a faulty transmitter and it ain't a lack of chest moisture. The PT HR receiver is completely independent of the hub and cadence data and is, frankly, a piece of sh*t. Saris knows this and will hopefully solve the problem with the SL2.4. I have gone through 2 PT SL computers (in 1 year) due to failure of the HR receiver. If you call Saris Customer Support and explain the problem, they will send you a new computer the same day and you can return your current computer after you receive it. So, you won't have to ride without power in the meantime.

4. Camoscio

Camoscio New Member

Thanks for sugggestions
    Can you send me a valid email to contact saris (I'm in europe..)
    Thanks a Lot
    Omar D Felice

5. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Sure. Here are the last two people I have dealt with in Customer Service, both very nice to work with.
    Margaret Walz [[email protected]]
    Kellen Pagel [[email protected]]

Good luck.

6. Camoscio

Camoscio New Member

Thank you very, very, much!!

7. SolarEnergy

SolarEnergy New Member

Gees..
    They don't even ask for the serial number of the unit, no proof of purchase nothing !

That's a good cust service !

8. kennethn

kennethn New Member

Thanks, this is really useful. I just bought a used SL off eBay and everything *except* heart rate is working (and I've also changed out batteries in the transmitter). I'll call support too.

Did I understand the other comment correctly that non-coded Polar transmitters should work with the Powertap computer? If so, I have one lying around to confirm the theory that it's the unit, not the transmitter.

9. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

It should work fine. I use any of three chest straps - Polar, CicloSport and CycleOps. They all work.

10. erik44gary

erik44gary New Member

I had the same problem and after contacting Saris, I checked it out with a Polar non coded chest strap and it worked fine.

However I also had a problem with my sweat getting into the battery....had to dry it out each time. I think it must have been missing an O ring seal. Anybody else have this happen?

Saris are replacing strap and CPU..as you say GREAT service.

11. Woofer

Woofer New Member

IIRC, one can use a coded strap only if the coded strap wakes up in certain modes, some modes are incompatible with non-coded receivers, so this relies on a lot of trial and error to get it to work.

Never gotten water into the hr strap. Perhaps a bad install of the battery cover or a broken hr transmitter case?

12. SolarEnergy

SolarEnergy New Member

Those talks about batteries are making me wonder :

Is there any battery in a Polar strap? If yes, I wouldn't know how to replace it.

13. kennethn

kennethn New Member

I called Saris about my unit's loss of HR and they were great - just as everyone has said. They're sending a replacement unit out now.

14. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

I don't have my Polar strap handy, but my other straps have a round screw-in, slot-head cap that covers the battery (CR2032 -- round, flat battery about the size of an American quarter). The thing to look for is the slot for a coin or screwdriver to unscrew the cap. This will be at the thickest part of the chest strap on the side that goes against the chest. Be careful to use a screwdriver or coin that is wide enough, because it's easy to damage the slot.

15. Woofer

Woofer New Member

The latest Polar straps are designed to be used until the battery wears out, then thrown away, so it serves as an income stream for Polar. However, someone handy with tools can take it apart and replace the battery and glue the transmitter back together again.