powertap problems

kennybear

Jul 10, 2006
Is there anyone that doesn't have problems with they're pt sl or 2.4. I want to buy a 2.4 but I'm kinda scared after reading this forum. So happy owners speak up...

kennybear said:
Is there anyone that doesn't have problems with they're pt sl or 2.4. I want to buy a 2.4 but I'm kinda scared after reading this forum. So happy owners speak up...
Yes, there are plenty who don't have problems. We typically don't post saying how "problem-free" we are. ;)

That being said, I think the 2.4 is more prone to problems than the SL, so this may factor into your decision of which model to get [not whether to get one or not!]

-Eric

SL problems no a couple of "COLD" idiosyncracies and HR drops, But I rarely use the HR strap any more. No problems with the 2.4 when not using the HR strap.

Bullseye_blam said:
Yes, there are plenty who don't have problems. We typically don't post saying how "problem-free" we are. ;)

That being said, I think the 2.4 is more prone to problems than the SL, so this may factor into your decision of which model to get [not whether to get one or not!]

-Eric

PT SL for 14 months, no problems at all.
2.4 on order and should be here next week.

Btw, I returned a SL CPU and I now have a new CPU that says '2.4 Wired' - so maybe they are all 2.4 now wrt core functionality and only the transmission ether is different?

Also, anyone know what this means (cut from PT site) "The Cervo 2.4 uses the same 2.4 Ghz. transmission systems as the PowerTap SL 2.4 making the Cervo 2.4 easily upgradeable to a PowerTap SL 2.4" ?

dazman said:
...Also, anyone know what this means (cut from PT site) "The Cervo 2.4 uses the same 2.4 Ghz. transmission systems ...?
The Cervo 2.4 is the same cycling computer shipped with a HR strap and a wireless speed transmitter. IOW it's a run of the mill cycling computer that uses some of the same hardware as the PT SL 2.4. That way you can spend nearly $400 for a speed and HR cycling computer but then buy just a PT SL 2.4 hub and upgrade to a full PM if you want. Sounds like an awfully expensive cycling computer and an expensive upgrade path to me.

-Dave
P.S. As to the former question, I've been running a PT SL (wired) for nearly 4 months with no data dropouts or other problems.

I feel the same way but I guess it is sort of like buying a upper end Coded and down loadable Polar, but with a better Up grade option. You do get the speed, Cadence sensors and HR Strap for Like $370. Nice to have the Speed and cadence sensors any way (so your computer is still useful with out a PT and for acurate RPMs, respectively). They are not cheap. Neither are the Polar counterparts. Just the Polar soft ware blows away PV at least for HR data.

daveryanwyoming said:
The Cervo 2.4 is the same cycling computer shipped with a HR strap and a wireless speed transmitter. IOW it's a run of the mill cycling computer that uses some of the same hardware as the PT SL 2.4. That way you can spend nearly $400 for a speed and HR cycling computer but then buy just a PT SL 2.4 hub and upgrade to a full PM if you want. Sounds like an awfully expensive cycling computer and an expensive upgrade path to me.

-Dave
P.S. As to the former question, I've been running a PT SL (wired) for nearly 4 months with no data dropouts or other problems.

kennybear said:
I have had a 2.4 for about 2 months and have had no real issues (other than getting hit by a car). I get a dropout for a second or so once or twice a week.

kennybear said:
2.4 PT
I've had mine about 30 days, no problems
Love it.

kennybear said:

SL for 18 months on two different bikes. First bike: 6 weeks waiting for repair after it died upon seeing a rain cloud on the horizon. Second bike: no readings going downhill for the past 2 months and still waiting for the replacement receiver Saris promised last month.

Buy the SRM system. I will next time.

kennybear said:
Bought one of the first SL systems in Jan '05 and had to send it back in May '05 to get repaired. It has been perfect ever since.

I bought a second one at the end of '05 and have not had any problems with it...

Jim