Powertap repair (old Pro model)

velomanct

Dec 21, 2003
It seems no matter how many times I replaced the axle and cones/bearings on the hub, it's never right again. Is there suppose to be a locknut on the drive side, to keep the right adjustment? The one screw on the axle on the drive side seems to always be either too loose or too tight, and never stays put. Can I get a replacement cassette body with new axle and all?

Also, I can't get a signal from the wheel. I went though the checklist and everything is good, replaced the hub batteries too. The cpu battery is at 2.89volts, could that be why? The cpu lights up with dashes fine though. The wheel has been sitting since the fall.

[SIZE= 22px]FIXED[/SIZE]

After all these years and going to about 5 different bike shops, I thought it was hopeless to fix my wheel. I decided to get to the bottom of it and so I took apart the axle and go to the sealed bearing. It had play in it. I knocked it out and it fell to pieces, ball bearings on the floor and a nasty torn up piece of metal (the part that holds the ball bearings).

Gee, no wonder.

I look at the letters on the side of the sealed bearing piece and it says "6000RS". They are extremely common and I bought two for $4 shipped on ebay.

Popped the new one in and the axle tightened up perfectly and spun beautifully.

It is like new again. It was astonishing how many bike shops told me they couldn't fix it. It was like they were afraid to touch it.