PowerTap - searching for watt every 5 sec

dagjonas

Feb 25, 2005
Hi.
I got a PowerTap SL+, and today I got a little problem with it.
I get watt readings, but every 5 second or so, the watt numbers display start to rotate and search for something, like it's not having connection with the hub. I tried to clear and find, but I kept on going. Watt readings, stable, 5-10 seconds, searching.

What's wrong?

I've seen this, but only once in a great while and only for a few seconds when it happens. I have fresh batteries in the hub (and the head unit).

My guess is there is something interfering with the signal in my case and the head unit has to "re-connect" to the hub.

It shouldn't be happening every 5 seconds. What version firmware is in your head unit. You may need to update it (it's free).

By any chance, is your PT clamped to a trainer?

I had this problem, off and on, for the past 2 months. It would rarely, if ever, happen while outside. I finally loosened my skewer to "barely snug" before clamping it into the trainer and the problem is now solved.

The only time this happens to me outdoors is when my hub batteries are actually dying/dead.

I bet it is the "Send" Sensor. I had a very simiilar problem with mine last year and after sending it in to Saris three times they figured it out.