Powertap SL 2.4 and ANT+Sport?

Bleve

New Member
Dec 12, 2004
I've just found out about this rather nifty bit of kit :

http://quarq.us

and in particular, it discusses the wireless 2.4 GHz protocol ANT+Sport that it will use, and that Garmin uses.

I have a PT SL 2.4, and it uses the same HRM strap as the Garmin, and sure enough, it has an ANT+Sport logo on it. This would suggest that the Powertap hub may also use that protocol. Why is this interesting? That would mean that the new Garmin 705 GPS might work with the PT SL 2.4, and also the quarq computer (they call it the qranium) might work with the PT hub also. This would be pretty good if it was the case, as I wish the PT computer had the features of the Polar S72x series (alt, temp etc), but this unit looks to have almost everything one could want. Added to track-compatibility with the quarq power sensor and you have a pretty versatile set of power measuring tools for road and track without SRM's hefty pricetag and clunky software. I've grown rather fond of CyclingPeaks WKO+ despite its one-PC licence (I have a laptop and a desktop, so I need two licences? Thievery!)

So, does anyone here know if the PT SL 2.4 uses ANT+Sport for its hub transmission? Saris haven't replied to my email yet (it was only 8 hours ago and we're in different timezones .. :) ). I'd be quite suprised if it didn't, as they are using that protocol for the HRM strap, and it would make sense to use the same protocol for both. This also raises some interesting posibilities with cadence (and speed, although with a properly calibrated PT, speed seems to work reliably, unlike cadence ...) sensors from other manufacturers, if they all use ANT+Sport we can pick and choose more suitable sensors for our bikes etc.

I was excited to see the ANT+Sport logo on my Cycleops HR strap as well.

Here is some indication there may also be ANT in the hub:

Road Magazine blog on Powertap wireless hub

Like you, I emailed Jesse @ Saris, but he is currently away. I will patiently wait and keep my fingers crossed.

Strange that Garmin would mention Quarq and SRM as compatible, as neither have a product that is currently available, and yet, Saris has the wireless Powertap SL 2.4 already in production, possibly with ANT+sport and yet, they never mentioned Powertap as compatible with the Garmin Edge 705. Time will tell.

Thom_y said:
I was excited to see the ANT+Sport logo on my Cycleops HR strap as well.

Here is some indication there may also be ANT in the hub:

Road Magazine blog on Powertap wireless hub

Like you, I emailed Jesse @ Saris, but he is currently away. I will patiently wait and keep my fingers crossed.

Strange that Garmin would mention Quarq and SRM as compatible, as neither have a product that is currently available, and yet, Saris has the wireless Powertap SL 2.4 already in production, possibly with ANT+sport and yet, they never mentioned Powertap as compatible with the Garmin Edge 705. Time will tell.
Yeah, I saw that in the other thread about it, it does look like the PT has ANT+Sport ... I had an email discussion with the quarq people and they didn't know though - I'd reckon they'd probably do a good trade in their computer, it seems a lot more featureful than the powertap one and could be a good upgrade if it's not too costly. Can't tell of course, 'til these things are on the market.and we can have a play.

It is odd that Garmin are touting compatibility with vapour and not with a real product.

Bleve said:
A pox on them!
That sucks.
I can't read the link, but get the gist of what may have been said. Regardless, can anyone who is a member give me the abridged version? Thanks!

Here's what I got from Saris last week :
Carl-

Sorry I do not have that information, as the press release from Garmin
said "check back soon to view list of compatible devices". I would keep
checking back with Garmin for that list.

Sorry,

Jereme Noffke | Saris Cycling Group | P. 800-783-7257