Powertap SL - Conversion to Wireless

sglasgow

May 9, 2005
Technical Advice Please - Do I need to buy a new hub or can I just buy the new wireless computer and pick-up? I have S&M couplings in my bike so getting rid of the wires would make it easier to disassemble and re-assemble.

Thank you,

sglasgow said:
Technical Advice Please - Do I need to buy a new hub or can I just buy the new wireless computer and pick-up? I have S&M couplings in my bike so getting rid of the wires would make it easier to disassemble and re-assemble.

Thank you,

A wireless CPU won't talk to a standard SL hub. You'll need a complete system. feel free to give us a shout for our price.

Ric

I still think what Saris should do for this is to build a sharkfin sensor/wireless transmitter. I'd gladly pay $200-$300 for the upgraded sensor that would talk to a wireless CPU. Mebbe $400 if including the new CPU.

That would just rock.

NomadVW said:
I still think what Saris should do for this is to build a sharkfin sensor/wireless transmitter. I'd gladly pay $200-$300 for the upgraded sensor that would talk to a wireless CPU. Mebbe $400 if including the new CPU.

That would just rock.
I dont quite get the obsession with wireless - dont your brakes and gear levers all have cables or wires!

mickthomas said:
I dont quite get the obsession with wireless - dont your brakes and gear levers all have cables or wires!
Sure, but no cyclocomputer wires I've ever hooked up are as "clean" on the bike as the cables/casings made for actual bike functionality. Nothing a little clear electrical tape doesn't fix, sure - but it's a convenience/looks thing. If it was that important I woulda bought the SL 2.4 last month instead of buying a PT pro as my second PT wheel.

I don't mind the wires on the bike but there are advantages to a wireless system. Its nice with the 2.4 to not have to worry about the position of any sensors, magnets or wires moving around. And while the initial investment is higher all it takes to install the system is mounting the wheel and two zipties on the stem or handlebar for the mount. $10 for a mount sets up another bike to use the same wheel.

mickthomas said:

I've got splitters on my cables to split the frame. The ties for the PT wires have also scraped the frame and make it harder to polish. Have you not heard that wireless is more convenient. Should be able to transfer data from the bike computer via WiFi Bluetooth (wouldn't you think in this day and age).