Powertap SL Hub Battery Question

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by tmanley, Nov 23, 2006.

1. tmanley

tmanley New Member

I haven't had the need to replace my battery yet in my hub, but thought I'd get some advice from others before I take what might be an unnecessary replacement...

I last used my Powertap unit 2 days ago without any problems. This morning I rolled out for a training ride and there was no receiver icon displayed. I did what I could while on the bike to make adjustments, but to no avail.

When I got home I ran through the tests and when I did the receiver test, the "88" sign flashed. But then when I tried to have it operate normally, the computer didn't show the receiver icon and no data was being captured.

My hub has not been exposed to any moisture and I'm miffed. What might be the problem? New hub battery required? I've got about 3,500 miles on this hub.

-Thanks, Todd

Tags:

2. doctorSpoc

doctorSpoc New Member

from your milage... sound like it's about that time.

RadioShack/The Source has a three battery replacement for the price of one set of batteries deal... that's what i got when i realized i'm going to have to be replacing the batteries in this thing all the time. you just give them your phone number and then next two times you just come in with your dead battery and give them your number and they give you a new battery.

3. tmanley

tmanley New Member

Other than the details in the Powertap pdf manual, any tricks I should know about swapping the batteries?

4. doctorSpoc

doctorSpoc New Member

not really the instructions are pretty good.. i found it pretty hard to screw off the cover... i got one of those boa things the get it off... doesn't scratch the cover.

[​IMG]

5. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

You may find the hub cap hard to remove 1st time. May need a tool to assist - it's an awkward shape so you'll need to think of something suitable. I have a multi grip tool I use when it gets too hard to undo by hand.

Good idea to lightly re-grease the o-ring seal area before replacing hub cap. I only hand tighten it after that.

Don't forget which way round the batteries go into their slots (look at how existing batteries are fitted)! It is possible to put them in the wrong way round.

Be gentle when replacing the battery holder unit inside the hub - don't "slam it back in place" as you may bend the contacts.

6. tmanley

tmanley New Member

Thanks everybody for the recommendations. I got the cap off without any problems and I'm just waiting for the wife to get home w/ the new batteries.

7. tmanley

tmanley New Member

Well it doesn't seem that the new batteries fixed the problem. I now have better reception from the hub, but the computer still doesn't capture the data correctly.

The retrieve icon (upper left hand corner of the computer) intermintently is displayed and data is captured...then it goes away and I'm left with a PT unit that can't capture anything. Given this problem, I've done everything by the book the CycleOps could have asked me to do.

I suspect that the problem lies with the wired data pick-up unit and the mount. Anybody else have a problem like this (I'll search the archives too)?

8. powertap

powertap New Member

Have you tried the following:
    1. Make sure the display says "watts" on the top line, if it does not you are in the "cycle computer" mode
    2. Make sure the sensor is as close to the hub as possible (if it is the shark fin shaped recevier) or about 3-4 inches away for the square shaped receiver and parallel with the hub cap.
    3. Try a new battery in the cpu, these typically last half as long as the hub batteries (about 150 hours if downloading frequently) and have a gradual decay that results in shotty performance when they are low on juice.
    4. Give our customer service a call if it still doesn't respond.
    Jesse Bartholomew
    CycleOps Product Manager

9. jetnjeff

jetnjeff New Member

My pro is acting up lately. Works in the shop but not outside. I am thinking temp but it was barely below 40 degrees F. I am calling them tommorow to ask.

After the 2nd time this happened I put in new batteries out sid in the cold and it still did not work until it warmed up in the house the next day.

My SL has worked at freezing and both are rated to freezing.

10. zaskar

zaskar New Member

Every time my batteries go weak the icon keeps flashing. i rode 4 hours with a flashing icon, no problems with data, or drop outs.

11. jetnjeff

jetnjeff New Member

I would have the Icon one minute and not the next. I did not think it could be the batteries... no flashing. But I thought maybe they were close and the cold pushed them over.

During the first malfunction, I confirmed with another harness and head unit on another bike, only this hub was not working, but started up again the next day after being inside.

12. doctorSpoc

doctorSpoc New Member

that kinda sounds like batteries on their last legs... cold can push batteries over the edge..

13. jetnjeff

jetnjeff New Member

That is what I thought until I installed new batteries on at the trail head with no luck. Unless those batteries sat on the shelf to long at the camera store. They are energizers and I got an transmission icon once it was in the house for a while again.

Note; I bought the new batteries while the hub was not working the first time but did not use them because I got an Icon back while the hub was in my shop.

I'm calling to find out now.

14. jetnjeff

jetnjeff New Member

The conclusion we came up with is that there was some mosture that did not totally escape the first time I let it sit with the cover off and the cold condensed the remaining water vapor and interfered with the hub electronics.

Going to let it dry out again for 24 more hours. I am currently getting a signal but it is 50 deg F out side.

15. jetnjeff

jetnjeff New Member

I just took it out of the truck. It is 42 degrees out and I got an Icon for about 1 second. Then nothing. I got my PT wheel back today(Upgraded from a pro to SL) and can get a signal from it but it it was in the house. Leaving it out for a while to check.

I guess I have another wheel going back. MTBing might be to hard on these hubs.

16. jetnjeff

jetnjeff New Member

I allowed 45 minutes for the new hub to cool aout side, it still shows an Icon but needs to be closer for the clock to start. I was checking by holding the wheel near the sensor.

17. jetnjeff

jetnjeff New Member

I don't know what to think now. I had the wheel in my truck(in a unheated cap) outside for the last few days and it has been around 20 F in the mornings. I took it out today to take the change wheels, to sen it back and I got an icon and it stayed on. So I pedaled it around a bit and it registerd Watts and seemed to work. Maybe any mosture has been freeze dried out of the hub.

I am Stumped.

18. jetnjeff

jetnjeff New Member

OK I put the bike out side after it warmed up to over 40 F and my problem is back. The Icon lights up at first and after a couple seconds goes back out.

Works below freezing but not 10 degrees above.

19. F1_Fan

F1_Fan New Member

Did two hours yesterday and noticed the transmission icon flashing once per second. For the life of me I can't remember if that's normal. 5,000 km and a cold day... I wouldn't be shocked if the batteries are dying.