PowerTap SL: no signal after rainy ride

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by sugaken, Jun 18, 2006.

1. sugaken

sugaken New Member

Sorry if this is a FAQ. I searched for similar threads but no avail.

A week ago I rode a hill-climb race (time ~1.5hr) No all-out down pour but it was steadily raining all the way.

This Saturday I tried to ride my bike for the first time after the race, and it appeared my PowerTap CPU was no longer receiving any signal from the hub (--- display on wattage and speed, etc). I immediately opened up the hub's battery cap, but there was no water inside as far as I can see. I even tried to dry the hub by leaving it open for a night with no avail.

I think, water might be sucked into somewhere it doesn't usually go into, due to the difference in the atmospheric pressure between the race's start and finish points (altitude difference is about 1200m or 4000ft). As I rode up to the mountain top finish, outside air gets thinner and thinner, so the air inside hub or receiver might have escaped, and as I rode down the mountain, water might have been sucked into inside the hub or receiver because of the reversed air pressure difference.

I don't have a spare harness or a spare PT hub, so I cannot say which went bad, and it will take some time til I get a spare harness even if I'd ordered one right now. The CPU however appears normally functioning (it even receives cadence signal through cadence wire, and also heartrate).

Is there anyway I can establish which (or even both:() are bad without spare parts? Or is there anyway I can do to restore them?

Yeah, I know I should have read FAQ for Training with Power and tried waterproofing my PT before riding in the rain, but it's too late now.:(

Thanks in advance,

Tags:

2. Woofer

Woofer New Member

Try replacing the batteries in the hub. I've gotten water in the hub and aired it out and it did not work until I put new batteries in the hub.

3. kenji

kenji New Member

Mmm.. did you greased (w/ silicone grease) the hub's o-rings correctly?
    From my own experience on PT Pro, that's critical for waterproofing of the hub. Perhaps the grease was not (or not properly) applied on the brand-new one which you got (like mine...).

BTW, if you need a spare harness, then i can rent you my old one. Please PM to me. If the hub seems wrong, you may want to mail or call *directly* to the Saris's tech. Their service (in terms of quality and responce time) is top-notch.

4. sugaken

sugaken New Member

Thanks, guys.

As to Woofer's suggestion, I've tried that already to no avail but there's one other thing about the battery housing so I cannot rule it out just yet... (I'll explain it later when I get home so I can take a photo of the battery housing of my PT SL hub).

I think so. When I changed the batteries, I greased the battery cap. Besides, there's no visible water inside battery cap, so...

Thanks! That'd be a big help. In fact I have thought of contacting you since you're the only PowerTap owner I know living close enough to meet in person... (my original thought wasn't to borrow one, though) Will PM shortly.

5. sugaken

sugaken New Member

Just to follow up my own thread...

I contacted Saris customer support and as per the rep's advice I'd left the wheel with battery cap open for about a week to dry out completely.

And then I put a pair of new batteries and voila! I got the signal back.

Thank you again for the help you've kindly offered. Next time I ride in the rain, I'll make sure to waterproof everything in advance.:)