Powertap SL or SL2.4?

Phil S

Sep 14, 2003
I am investing in a PT, I wanted the wireless one because it would obviously look neater but is it as reliable as a wired unit?

Thom_y

Aug 16, 2006
Phil S said:
I am investing in a PT, I wanted the wireless one because it would obviously look neater but is it as reliable as a wired unit?

According to SARIS, as of this month the SL 2.4's should be more reliable, as they have nailed the problem that was causing data drops in a few units. The new hubs, which are hard to get now (back order situation), should have a more reliable antenna... While others may still suggest going wired, I have decided to take the plunge (finally) and have ordered a wireless one with Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 wheel. They are in stock @ Trek, so I should get one soon !

dc.cyclocross

Mar 28, 2007
Phil S said:
I got the wireless in January, and it's worked great. drop-outs are rare and short. sometiems HR data is erratic- but no more than my Polar HR monitor- they both seem sensitve to some sources of interference. I don't have problems with the power. the estimated cadence function also seems to work very well.

the 2.4 is very easy and cheap to install on multiple bikes, and it's great not to have wires. I've even lend the unti to another biker and set-up only takes the time to swap wheels and strapping on the computer mount- a couple minutes total.

I say go for the 2.4.