Powertap SL prebuilt into Mavic Open Pro - loose?

fearby

Jul 19, 2003
I have just bought a new Powertap SL hub built into a wheel by one of the main resellers here in the UK. The wheel seems to have some give in it and it is not clear if this is due to the cones needing tightening or not. Any way to tell? Any way to adjust things at home or will it need to go back?

fearby said:
I have just bought a new Powertap SL hub built into a wheel by one of the main resellers here in the UK. The wheel seems to have some give in it and it is not clear if this is due to the cones needing tightening or not. Any way to tell? Any way to adjust things at home or will it need to go back?
I've got some play in my hub as well.Is it easy enough to get the cones off and repack the bearings. The manual says it is, but tips from anyone whose actually done it would be appreciated.

The SL has sealed bearings that don't need repacking. You shouldn't feel any play to speak of when you grab the axel and wiggle it.

The manual gives a torque spec for the nuts at the end of the axel. A torque wrench with the appropriate hex socket and a cone wrench will do the trick. Sorry I don't recall the sizes or the torque spec, but you can do this at home with the right tools.