Powertap SL Problems

cnyroadie

Jul 10, 2006
Before my race Saturday I noticed very erratic numbers from my powertap sl. The speed seemed to be jumping between 45 and 29 mph with the power consistently around 100 watts even when not plugged into the harness. The transmission icon would not show and when trying to zero the torque the word "watts" would not appear when holding select. Also on occasion the word "data" would flash on the bottom line.

When I arrived home I changed the battery, reset the defaults, etc. All to no avail. I then plugged it into the download cradle opened poweragent went through the setup steps and now it appears to be working fine. Any ideas what caused this? Also can it be corrected without computer access? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Wayne

You managed to get it into computer-only mode somehow. Confused the hell out of me first time I did it. It can be changed in one of the option setup screen (no 4?)

fatrat said:
You managed to get it into computer-only mode somehow. Confused the hell out of me first time I did it. It can be changed in one of the option setup screen (no 4?)
Yeah that happened to me too. The watt number happened to become the HR number. And my speed number didn't make sense at all.

It happened after I tried to switch in interval mode. I held the 'mode' button for too long maybe...

cnyroadie said:
Before my race Saturday I noticed very erratic numbers from my powertap sl. The speed seemed to be jumping between 45 and 29 mph with the power consistently around 100 watts even when not plugged into the harness. The transmission icon would not show and when trying to zero the torque the word "watts" would not appear when holding select. Also on occasion the word "data" would flash on the bottom line.

When I arrived home I changed the battery, reset the defaults, etc. All to no avail. I then plugged it into the download cradle opened poweragent went through the setup steps and now it appears to be working fine. Any ideas what caused this? Also can it be corrected without computer access? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Wayne
This also happened to me when trying to zero the torque - and confused the hell out of me. I fixed it by resetting the defaults and then re-entering my setup particulars. You dont need computer access to do this - just press both buttons for more than 2 seconds to enter setup mode.