PowerTap SL wheel build?

peterpen

Jul 29, 2003
Looking to get a new set of wheels built around a PowerTap SL - what do you recommend? These will be for training and racing on typically crappy NorCal roads and I weigh 150lbs.

Bonus questions - what do they weigh and where did you buy them? TIA

peterpen said:
Looking to get a new set of wheels built around a PowerTap SL - what do you recommend? These will be for training and racing on typically crappy NorCal roads and I weigh 150lbs.

I'm not sure what Nor Cal roads are like... but feel free to give me or michael smartt a shout on either [email protected] or [email protected], and we can talk you through the various options on rim choices etc. Currently, we have an autumn/fall promotion going on with a 10% discount on PTs and one-months free coaching when you purchase coaching and a PT (or SRM) at the same time.

cheers
ric

I find a radial (left) - 2x (drive side) makes the strongest wheel for Belgium roads (these are world famous for being ****). Everyone seems to use 3x for everything nowdays but you will have a weakass wheel if the spokes are at too much of angle to the rim. A large flange increases this angle & the powertap flange is huge. I learned the lesson the hard way!

Regards Phil
http://www.cyclingforums.com/www.tacx-video.com

I built my SL on a Campy Montreal rim (32) with 2x both sides. I built it for training and training races. I have ~4K miles on it and have only had to tune up the true slightly. Our roads here are probably average. I don't know what they weigh, but the rim isn't super light. I didn't care all that much since I don't plan to race them in serious races. I bought my SL from my LBS and had them build the wheel. I haven't decided on my racing wheels (because the races I care about aren't until next spring), but am leaning to the Zipp 808 w/SL hub.

peterpen said:

I don't think there is any way to keep price out of the equation. One popular option seems to be SL hub built into a Zipp 404 rim, at which point you must make the clincher vs. tubular decision. The clincher version appears stronger (i.e. potentially better for daily training) than the full-carbon tubular 404, which (based purely on what I've read) seem more susceptible to impact damage. Now from "book knowledge" to experience: My own SL wheel is the much less costly SL-DT rim combination, with standard 3x build. My wheel was built up by QBP, one of the largest wholesale distributors who supply many bike shops. (QBP used DT rims, the difference between those and Mavic OPs is minimal.) Since my races are almost all criteriums or short RRs (no TTs) my standard wheel seems to serve very well for both daily training and racing. Since the added weight is in the hub, the wheel seems to accelerate just fine (i.e. any race difficulties are due to my weaknesses, not the wheel). Bottom line: the decision isn't much different from whether the cost of a top-line CF race wheelset (say Zipps, Reynolds, etc.) is justified over more pedestrian Ksyriums, Dura-Ace etc. wheelsets.

palewin said:
I don't think there is any way to keep price out of the equation. One popular option seems to be SL hub built into a Zipp 404 rim, at which point you must make the clincher vs. tubular decision. The clincher version appears stronger (i.e. potentially better for daily training) than the full-carbon tubular 404, which (based purely on what I've read) seem more susceptible to impact damage. Now from "book knowledge" to experience: My own SL wheel is the much less costly SL-DT rim combination, with standard 3x build. My wheel was built up by QBP, one of the largest wholesale distributors who supply many bike shops. (QBP used DT rims, the difference between those and Mavic OPs is minimal.) Since my races are almost all criteriums or short RRs (no TTs) my standard wheel seems to serve very well for both daily training and racing. Since the added weight is in the hub, the wheel seems to accelerate just fine (i.e. any race difficulties are due to my weaknesses, not the wheel). Bottom line: the decision isn't much different from whether the cost of a top-line CF race wheelset (say Zipps, Reynolds, etc.) is justified over more pedestrian Ksyriums, Dura-Ace etc. wheelsets.
Word.

PT-SL and 32 3X OP here :D

Spunout said:
Word.

PT-SL and 32 3X OP here :D
Just to throw my two bits in here... I (club) raced this season on Shimano 550 wheels. Nothing special, a little on the heavy side. The rear wheel with tire (Vittoria Rubino Pro) and tube but w/o cogs or skewer weighed 1417g.

My PT SL/Open Pro/DT 14ga 2x wheel with tire (Conti Ultra 2000) and tube weighs...1420g. Shazam... I switched to the PT SL with no weight penalty! Some of that weight equivalency is likely due to the SL's alloy freehub vs. the steel one on the Shimano wheels.

I weigh 160 and the wheels were built by Outdoor Gear Canada (the distributor for PowerTap up here). So far so good. The combo of Open Pros and 32 DT spokes will hold people much heavier than me and the OP. In fact, I rode 32H Open Pros without incident back when I weighed 230.

peterpen said:

I had the SL built into my Reynolds Alta rim (24 spoke) and it has been a fantastic wheel for racing and training. Weight penalty minimum and rolls well etc. I find myself struggling to put my CF reynolds Cirro's on for races these days as i love getting the power data. No problems at all so far.

peterpen said:

32h 3x into a CXP33 here. Seems plenty strong for training on. I live in NorCal and I'm 240lbs.

peterpen said:

My PTsl is built on a CXP33 32 hole with 3x DT Comp 14/15s and brass nipples. Wheel weight with rimstrip is 1140 grams. Not real light but it's been a great wheel and hasn't needed to be re-trued on a regular basis. I had Excel Sports in Boulder build it for me and they did a great job. The quality of the build is way better than the two standard PT wheels I've used that were "factory" built.

Phil Stone said:
I find a radial (left) - 2x (drive side) makes the strongest wheel for Belgium roads (these are world famous for being ****). Everyone seems to use 3x for everything nowdays but you will have a weakass wheel if the spokes are at too much of angle to the rim. A large flange increases this angle & the powertap flange is huge. I learned the lesson the hard way!

Regards Phil
http://www.cyclingforums.com/www.tacx-video.com
Perfect - I just ordered my PT/SL last night. I plan to use a CXP33 rim and Ti DT spokes in the same pattern. I think the roads are fine in Belgium, it's the road signs :D

HR

"I find a radial (left) - 2x (drive side) makes the strongest wheel for Belgium roads (these are world famous for being ****). Everyone seems to use 3x for everything nowdays but you will have a weakass wheel if the spokes are at too much of angle to the rim. A large flange increases this angle & the powertap flange is huge. I learned the lesson the hard way!"

Finally got the wheel built, and the owners manual is pretty specific, to go 3x or 2x, but must be the same on both sides.

So I went with the cxp33, 14/15 spokes 2x on both sides. Of course it has snowed and the roads are in bad shape, so it's only been on the trainer, but so far it seems perfect!

HR

130lb here. Built with Velocity Aerohead rim 32h and 3x. About 5000 miles on it since Feb. I train and commute with it, in NYC. That may not mean much since 70% of my commute is on bike paths.

peterpen said:

Thanks for all the input! I ended up going with DT Swiss RR 1.1 rims, 28 2x Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Still waiting on the front spokes to come in for a matching front wheel w/ a DT 240S hub.

Had it built by John at Eastside Cycles in Petaluma - outstanding build, have 700 hard miles on it already and perfectly true. Anybody who lives in the north SF Bay Area and is looking to get a PT, I'd highly recommend them.

The PT itself was easy to set up and has worked flawlessly so far. Using Cycling Peaks and I'm in numbers geek heaven. But the real test will come at the end of January when I do my next lactate test. :D Actually, I'm curious to see how my PT watts compare to the Computrainer watts on which I have been/ will be tested.

Hookyrider said:
"I find a radial (left) - 2x (drive side) makes the strongest wheel for Belgium roads (these are world famous for being ****). Everyone seems to use 3x for everything nowdays but you will have a weakass wheel if the spokes are at too much of angle to the rim. A large flange increases this angle & the powertap flange is huge. I learned the lesson the hard way!"

Finally got the wheel built, and the owners manual is pretty specific, to go 3x or 2x, but must be the same on both sides.

So I went with the cxp33, 14/15 spokes 2x on both sides. Of course it has snowed and the roads are in bad shape, so it's only been on the trainer, but so far it seems perfect!

HR
Why does Cycleops suggest 3x on both sides?

Was looking at 2x one side and 3x other but after reading manual not sure anymore. Irish roads pretty bad too......................also going to be using wheel for training and racing

giannip said:
Why does Cycleops suggest 3x on both sides?

Was looking at 2x one side and 3x other but after reading manual not sure anymore. Irish roads pretty bad too......................also going to be using wheel for training and racing

3x by 3x gives more lateral give yet maintains the plains of the disc as they extend from the rim walls perpendicular to the ground. the problem 3x is that the angle of departure for the spoke body as it leaves the flange is a bit more extreme then 2x or radial. if you go this direction, use a spoke with a long drawn out j bend like a Sapim.

2x drive, radial non drive side will give you a 'stiffer' wheel but if you smack a pot hole, etc, you can break spokes.

personally, although the powertap is a great device, i really dislike the design of the hub.

jmocallaghan said:
3x by 3x gives more lateral give yet maintains the plains of the disc as they extend from the rim walls perpendicular to the ground. the problem 3x is that the angle of departure for the spoke body as it leaves the flange is a bit more extreme then 2x or radial. if you go this direction, use a spoke with a long drawn out j bend like a Sapim.

2x drive, radial non drive side will give you a 'stiffer' wheel but if you smack a pot hole, etc, you can break spokes.

personally, although the powertap is a great device, i really dislike the design of the hub.
Thanks

Was looking at DT R1.1 rims + comp spokes. Any other reccomendations?

giannip said:
Thanks

Was looking at DT R1.1 rims + comp spokes. Any other reccomendations?

I think the rims are fine. The DT spokes however do not really have long enough of a j bend. I'd look at Sapims. Do you have access to Bontrager or Mavic rims?

jmocallaghan said:
I think the rims are fine. The DT spokes however do not really have long enough of a j bend. I'd look at Sapims. Do you have access to Bontrager or Mavic rims?
Yes. Access to any rims. Any specific Sapims ?