PowerTap SL with Open Pro - 28 or 32 spokes?

pelotoncamden

Dec 4, 2006
Looking at getting a PowerTap SL built to a Mavic Open Pro rim and need some guidance on the number of spokes. Can someone shed some light as to why you would go to 28 versus 32, etc?

I weigh 160lbs and plan to use this wheel for training purposes only.

Thanks in advance for your time.

pelotoncamden said:
Looking at getting a PowerTap SL built to a Mavic Open Pro rim and need some guidance on the number of spokes. Can someone shed some light as to why you would go to 28 versus 32, etc?

Minor weight difference. More spokes usually means stronger and more durable. However more spokes can be as light in some cases since if you use fewer spokes you may need to use a thicker guage.

The main factor is quality of the wheel build.

While you're not a heavyweight and 28 would suffice, it might also depend on your riding style (e.g. spinter v TTr).

pelotoncamden said:

I'm ~100kg and using 28 spokes with the same rim as you. DT Champion spokes. I kid myself into thinking I'm a sprinter sometimes (certainly no climber ...). so far, no problems. I used 28 as that was all Trek Australia (the Aust distributer) had in stock and I had been waiting a year for this bit of kit and didn't want to have to wait another 6 months.

Alex Simmons said:
Minor weight difference. More spokes usually means stronger and more durable. However more spokes can be as light in some cases since if you use fewer spokes you may need to use a thicker guage.

The main factor is quality of the wheel build.

While you're not a heavyweight and 28 would suffice, it might also depend on your riding style (e.g. spinter v TTr).

+minor aero difference

I would say it depends on your riding style too - bike abuser or friend of bike :)

Go for the 28h.

I've the 32h in the open pro and am limited in the rims I could transfer the PT to.
So if you never intend to put your PT in any other rim get the 32h as it should be stronger.
I regret my decision now.