Powertap software and Windows XP

meandmybike

Feb 7, 2005
Just bought a new PC at home and trying to install the Powertap Link software (had it running fine on the old PC running Windows 98) but XP doesn't seem to like it.

Loaded the XP driver for the Belkin Serial-USB convertor and it all appears OK in the Device Manager.

The problem comes when I try to download a ride. The ride data keeps downloading data ad infitum.

Has anyone else had this problem or has anyone got an email contact for Saris as their website contact form isn't working?

Thanks.

I'm running XP and have had no problems. May be best to reinstall... or use it as an excuse to upgrade to CyclingPeaks :)

you'll end up there anyways - CP is like the Borg, "resistence is futile"... once you get hooked on the higher level of info, you'll never think twice over it either.

HR

Hookyrider said:
I'm running XP and have had no problems. May be best to reinstall... or use it as an excuse to upgrade to CyclingPeaks :)

you'll end up there anyways - CP is like the Borg, "resistence is futile"... once you get hooked on the higher level of info, you'll never think twice over it either.

HR

Yep, that was plan B. The Allen/Coggan book has convinced me it's a must have.

Thanks.

I was thinkning I could go with out the "upgrade" until I read the book - the software just does so many things for you, unless of course you like poking around on a calculator after your workouts...

HR

Hookyrider said:
I was thinkning I could go with out the "upgrade" until I read the book - the software just does so many things for you, unless of course you like poking around on a calculator after your workouts...

HR

Downloaded the 14 day trial of CP last night. It solved the problem I was having and like you said, it is so much better than the Powertap Link software.

meandmybike said:
Downloaded the 14 day trial of CP last night. It solved the problem I was having and like you said, it is so much better than the Powertap Link software.
I have a Dell computer but can't download the PT SL. Installed both the CP and PT software but when I try to download it says there was a problem and to check the com port, etc. My Dell only has 1 port on the back with pins like the cradle needs. Runs XP from 2000 or so.

Also says the PT unit should go blank it has the blank slashes but doesn't go blank (no screen image at all).

Any advice would be appreciated!:(

h8rain said:
I have a Dell computer but can't download the PT SL. Installed both the CP and PT software but when I try to download it says there was a problem and to check the com port, etc. My Dell only has 1 port on the back with pins like the cradle needs. Runs XP from 2000 or so.

Also says the PT unit should go blank it has the blank slashes but doesn't go blank (no screen image at all).

Any advice would be appreciated!:(

I connect through a Belkin RS232/USB adaptor. You can check which Com port this device is connected to in the Windows Device Manager. As for the screen going blank, my Powertap SL displays the word 'Host' when it is connected to the PC. If aren't seeing that then your PC and PT aren't seeing each other. Try changing the com port in the Power Link software set up - there are only 4 to choose from so just try each in turn. If that doesn't work then you'll probably need to try connecting through a USB port.

Powertap now sell a download cradle with a USB connector ($49-99 on their website or £35 here in the UK).

Failing that contact Saris. I found them very helpful.

meandmybike said:
I connect through a Belkin RS232/USB adaptor. You can check which Com port this device is connected to in the Windows Device Manager. As for the screen going blank, my Powertap SL displays the word 'Host' when it is connected to the PC. If aren't seeing that then your PC and PT aren't seeing each other. Try changing the com port in the Power Link software set up - there are only 4 to choose from so just try each in turn. If that doesn't work then you'll probably need to try connecting through a USB port.

Powertap now sell a download cradle with a USB connector ($49-99 on their website or £35 here in the UK).

Failing that contact Saris. I found them very helpful.
Also, if you don't see "host" then try tapping one of the PT's buttons. If the PT goes to sleep then initiating the connection won't wake it up.

F1_Fan said:
Also, if you don't see "host" then try tapping one of the PT's buttons. If the PT goes to sleep then initiating the connection won't wake it up.
I'm getting no Host display.

I also called Saris and they highly recommended the new free software update which is only on the website, as much improved. They're sending a disc of the software and a USB connection for $25.

I can't get the new software to work, called PowerAgent, it says I need the .NET Framework 1.1.4322 windows update. When trying to download it sends you to the windows update which I downloaded using the "auto" selection.

I get the same message after re-installing the PowerAgent software, that I need the .NET Framework. Also I don't see the .NET Framework update in my control panel install/uninstall software manager.

What's up?

h8rain said:
I get the same message after re-installing the PowerAgent software, that I need the .NET Framework. Also I don't see the .NET Framework update in my control panel install/uninstall software manager.

What's up?

I've just downloaded the PowerAgent software from the CycleOps website to try on my Mac at work (using Virtual PC - something I wouldn't wish on anyone). I too had the problem with .NET framework and ended up clicking on the .NET framework 2.0 download for developers (the PowerAgent software automatically linked to a Microsoft web page where the downloads are available), which solved the problem.

Personally I'm going to use Cycling Peaks on the wife's PC at home from now on. Features such as Normalised Power and TSS are fantastic and based on Andrew Coggan's contributions here I'm sure the CP guys will help you through any problems you have installing and setting it up.

Keep us posted on whether the .NET download works.

meandmybike said:
I've just downloaded the PowerAgent software from the CycleOps website to try on my Mac at work (using Virtual PC - something I wouldn't wish on anyone). I too had the problem with .NET framework and ended up clicking on the .NET framework 2.0 download for developers (the PowerAgent software automatically linked to a Microsoft web page where the downloads are available), which solved the problem.

Personally I'm going to use Cycling Peaks on the wife's PC at home from now on. Features such as Normalised Power and TSS are fantastic and based on Andrew Coggan's contributions here I'm sure the CP guys will help you through any problems you have installing and setting it up.

Keep us posted on whether the .NET download works.
Update: I got the PowerAgent disc and USB cradle from Saris and it downloaded with no problem following the quickstart.

Problem: Why isn't the PT unit being "seen" it is powered-up but doesn't read "host" and I know the install saw the USB modem.

What to do???

Thanks for any advice in advance...

this may sound a little over simple - butensure you push a button once the CPU is in the cradle, just before you download... then if host isn't showing up, there is something wrong...

HR

Hookyrider said:
this may sound a little over simple - butensure you push a button once the CPU is in the cradle, just before you download... then if host isn't showing up, there is something wrong...

HR
Finally, got the CP to indicate "host" but PowerAgent says "no device" and each time I try to download with "host" showing it suggests selecting a comport 1,3,4.

None of which then get my device seen?

I have a cyops USB download cradle plugged into the rear right USB plug next to the USB used by my camera?

Any suggestions?