PowerTap troubles Power and Torque read 0

LonghornDan

Jun 29, 2010
My PowerTap was working very well until the other day. Now power just stays at 0 unless I really stomp on it (like 400W), and then it might only say 45 Watts. Data is being transmitted from the hub to the Head Unit (HU), because I get the correct speed, distance and my HR as well. I called Saris tech support and all they want to do is have me send it in and they will fix it for $300 (plus upgrade the HU to ANT+, and put in new bearings).
Possible causes of this issue. These are all that I could think of.
1. I put my bike in my trunk instead of on top of my car the day before it started acting up, because it looked like it was going to rain that day. Perhaps the extreme summer heat in Texas (100 degrees, and maybe 135 in my car caused the strain guage(s) to come unglued from the torque pipe. Anyone ever heard of extreme temps causing problems with PT? Is there a warranty on the PowerTap hub components against defects if this were the case?
2. It could be a software bug. My firmware is at 5.67 and I'm using Power Agent 7.5. The day before it stopped working was the first time I had ever cleared the Head Unit with Power Agent. Normally I just clear the data on the HU by holding Mode and Select. I can't update my firmware now, since Saris recently broke their website.
Troubleshooting steps
1. Replaced all batteries. Didn't help
2. Took apart hub and axel and cleaned what I could, but did not take out torque pipe and bearings. Didn't help
3. Tighten down the axel and cones. Didn't help
4. Zeroed the torque.
5. I did try to update the firmware to the latest version, but Saris messed up their website and now their software can't check for software updates.
Is there anything that I should try before sending my wheel back to Saris? Please help.

My buddy had same issue. I have a garmin 705, when you zero torque on a garmin it normally showed a -205 offset......his hub was reading -14,000. So basically reading so low that it would read zero unless you really stomped on it.

He called Saris and they are rebuilding innards under warranty even though his expired a few months ago. Maybe a consistent issue here?