Powertap USB and a Mac/VPC. It works

fatrat

Oct 26, 2004
Since there's been many threads about it, for reference, I've got a Powertap SL working fine with VPC 7.0.1 and Windows 2000 Pro.

My PT came with a USB cradle so I used that.

1) Power on the VPC
2) Plug Powertap usb cradle into the mac. Wait for Windows to pop up an 'Add new hardware' message.
3) Insert the CDROM that came with the USB cradle and let Windows search for a driver.
4) After it had found and installed the driver, I rebooted the VPC, just out of habit :)
5) Plug in the USB cradle again, and make sure the PT computer is on and says 'Host'
6) Now start WKO+ (not before!). You should be able to choose 'COM 3/USB' as the download option
7) Download your data in WKO+ and enjoy.

I've found that if I plug in the PT after starting WKO+, it doesn't work, but that's no problem.

I've not even installed the PT software so I've no idea how that works.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers,

Arthur

Very cool. I'm glad to hear this works for you as I'm about to make the leap to training with power and hope to make VPC 6.1/Windows XP work with WKO+. If anyone out there has any experience with this combo please share.

Cheers!
-Ian

fatrat said:
Since there's been many threads about it, for reference, I've got a Powertap SL working fine with VPC 7.0.1 and Windows 2000 Pro.

My PT came with a USB cradle so I used that.

1) Power on the VPC
2) Plug Powertap usb cradle into the mac. Wait for Windows to pop up an 'Add new hardware' message.
3) Insert the CDROM that came with the USB cradle and let Windows search for a driver.
4) After it had found and installed the driver, I rebooted the VPC, just out of habit :)
5) Plug in the USB cradle again, and make sure the PT computer is on and says 'Host'
6) Now start WKO+ (not before!). You should be able to choose 'COM 3/USB' as the download option
7) Download your data in WKO+ and enjoy.

I've found that if I plug in the PT after starting WKO+, it doesn't work, but that's no problem.

I've not even installed the PT software so I've no idea how that works.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers,

Arthur