Powertap users, What wheels?

dm69

Jan 24, 2006
What wheels do powertap users use? Obviously you will need a wheel that can hold up for training and if you race on them aswell you will need something relatively fast. Powertap can make hubs in 24 spokes, 28 and 32 spokes. I am fairly light so 24 should be enough.

I have been looking at the american classic cr420's but it seems they are just race wheels and probably not ideal for everyday use. The velomax tempest only has 20 spokes aswell as the ksyriums sl.

Do you just get your wheels custom built?

By the way I would probably be looking at 26000km's a year...I dont want to wait for repairs.

dm69 said:
I have been looking at the american classic cr420's but it seems they are just race wheels and probably not ideal for everyday use. The velomax tempest only has 20 spokes aswell as the ksyriums sl.....
By the way I would probably be looking at 26000km's a year...I dont want to wait for repairs.
I use the cr420 as my "everyday" wheel, I love them, and I've had no problems with them. However (disclaimer), I don't get anywhere near the miles you do. I think if you're light weight, that they should work for you. The only downfall I've heard of, and I don't know if it's true or not is that the AC's hubs are a bit prone to dampness. If your switching it out to a PT hub, it might be a moot point.

L

With those kind of k's, at least 28 on an Open Pro or Velocity Aerohead, DT Revo's or Sapim Laser, brass nipples. Don't mess around with trying to drop 50gms by using a lower spoke count or a less durable rim - if you want to shave grams get CX-Rays b/c they're just as strong, only light (and quite expensive.). I'd err on the side of strength, then if down the road you decide you want something lighter to race with, you'll have one that's already bombproof.

Watched Floyd yesterday with PT Pro and Zipp 202 rim, crossed rear spokes.

I had an open pro rim and broke it in three months (rim split). I switched to DT Suisse 1.1 and broke it too (spoke nipples pulled out all over the rim). I'm currently running a 404 carbon tubular with power tap pro. 2,000 miles training and hundreds racing over the last 3 months and I haven't even had to true it yet. It's tremendously strong.

Don't let your buddies discount the tubulars. They ride like a dream and aren't any bigger burden than clinchers.

I build my PT into a Mavic CXP 33 - 28 holes and 2 x lacing. Not for weight weenies but a bullet proof training wheel (IMHO much more durable than an Open Pro) and light enough you could still do road races on it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not a big believer that equiptment makes much difference anyhoo but it would be nice if there were a really strong, not so light deep rim wheel with 24 spokes.

Cosmic Elite, Tempest II, K Elite's, Shimano all go with a lower spoke count.
Thanks for that review lonnie utah. I will see what the LBS says about the american classic cr420's. My LBS is really quite good, if something is **** and they are trying to sell it they won't even bother, instead just telling you its not a good idea. So if they are begging me to try the Ac's and screaming at me about how good they are then yes I would put the hub on those wheels :D .

And for all you tubular fans yes I can see what you are talking about (they are faster) but I am too lazy to bother with them. No doubt if I was buying JUST a set of race wheels I would look at tubs but I need them for a lot of training.

Done some browsing and I have found a nice build

Velocity Deep V 30mm deep rims.
Sapim CX RAY spokes, 24 front, 24 rear
Powertap rear hub, Velocity road front hub

Should be about 2.1kg's after the powertap goes on there. If I whack on some veloflex pave's and ultralight tubes for raceday it shouldn't be too bad for climbing.

Any thoughts.

dm69 said:
Done some browsing and I have found a nice build

Velocity Deep V 30mm deep rims.
Sapim CX RAY spokes, 24 front, 24 rear
Powertap rear hub, Velocity road front hub

Should be about 2.1kg's after the powertap goes on there. If I whack on some veloflex pave's and ultralight tubes for raceday it shouldn't be too bad for climbing.

Any thoughts.

Looks like a solid build.

two things:
Maybe use a White Industries or DT Swiss front hub? Bit lighter, super-durable.

And I'm not positive PowerTap still makes 24 hole SL's. :confused: Even if they do, I'd still go with 28 2x in the back. You're only saving maybe 20gms by using four fewer spokes, the aero difference is virtually nil, and 28 spokes will give you a stiffer, more durable wheel.

Anyway, should be a nice build, tough enough for training but not a complete tank for races.

I have an SL built into a 24 hole Reynolds Alta and it has been fantastic. I also have a 404 tubular which is great for racing.

padawan said:
I build my PT into a Mavic CXP 33 - 28 holes and 2 x lacing. Not for weight weenies but a bullet proof training wheel (IMHO much more durable than an Open Pro) and light enough you could still do road races on it.

I agree, cxp 33 is a kick ass rim, not light but very durable. I've been riding on the same ones since 1999 & last year told my bike shop to lace the power tap hub on it. This is my 1999, 22lb Postal edition Trek I train on every day, Im 160lb & sprinter, so Im pretty gard on the wheels & they still stay true. I do have a 16lb Giant I only race on, so when I change to the giant on race day, man is that thing fast. :eek:

I've only got around 2000km on my bontrager race x lite aero, but they're holding up really well, only 16 spokes, nice and aero, very stiff, reasonable weight, <1900g. Only had to true them once so far cause of a crash in a race, and they've been running dead true since. I was thinking i was going to have to pick up another PT wheel for trainning but the bontragers are really holding their own so far and i might just buy a set of lightweight zipp's with the SL hub to race on and keep the bontragers for trainning/backup wheels. Again, only around 2000km on them so far though.