PowerTap vendors - US

swampy1970

Feb 3, 2008
Given that the local bike shop, nor any bike shop I care to visit within 40 miles, carries PowerTap equipment, I'd be interested in hearing from folks in the US from where they bought their PT hubs/wheels from.

Also, as I've never had a bike wheel built up on this side of the pond, somewhere with a good wheelbuilder would be nice - any recommendations?

Of course cheaper is nice but I'd be willing to pay a little more for someone who builds a really nice set of wheels.

I got mine used off Ebay. There are a ton of them on there at significantly lower price than you would pay for them new and most are built up allready. I think most bike shops would be able to build one up new for you if that is the route you wanted to go.

I typically do my wishful thinking at Wheelbuilder.com or All3Sports.com, but I haven't yet had the pleasure of purchasing from either source. I bought my wheel from Analyticcycling.com back when they carried products on the site.

frenchyge said:
I typically do my wishful thinking at Wheelbuilder.com or All3Sports.com, but I haven't yet had the pleasure of purchasing from either source. I bought my wheel from Analyticcycling.com back when they carried products on the site.
I've had good luck on ebay, but check these guys out for a big selection of PT wheels...

http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/zipp.php

-Dave

I got mine from competitivecyclist.com. After 1 yr 4 mo I have no complaints.

swampy1970 said:
Given that the local bike shop, nor any bike shop I care to visit within 40 miles, carries PowerTap equipment, I'd be interested in hearing from folks in the US from where they bought their PT hubs/wheels from.

Also, as I've never had a bike wheel built up on this side of the pond, somewhere with a good wheelbuilder would be nice - any recommendations?

Of course cheaper is nice but I'd be willing to pay a little more for someone who builds a really nice set of wheels.

Rich Sawris at wheelbuilder.com. I've used him for several non-PT builds and never been disappointed and he probably has more experience building PT wheels than any other builder. Among other projects, he build all of Slipstream's PT wheels last year (not sure about this year.)

peterpen said:
Rich Sawris at wheelbuilder.com. I've used him for several non-PT builds and never been disappointed and he probably has more experience building PT wheels than any other builder. Among other projects, he build all of Slipstream's PT wheels last year (not sure about this year.)
Sounds good! Thanks for the info. Their prices look pretty good too.

I was actually considering have Paul Hewitt, a top English builder whose wheels I've thrashed (including 28 spoke Mavic GEL280s that endured a 12 mile trek on a flat tub across some crappy country roads at 25ish mph) and never had one go out of true, build me one up and ship it across the pond!

swampy1970 said:
Sounds good! Thanks for the info. Their prices look pretty good too.

I was actually considering have Paul Hewitt, a top English builder whose wheels I've thrashed (including 28 spoke Mavic GEL280s that endured a 12 mile trek on a flat tub across some crappy country roads at 25ish mph) and never had one go out of true, build me one up and ship it across the pond!
Rich at wheelbuilder built my track PT wheel couple of years ago. Good guy, knows his stuff. I've sent quite a few clients his way.