PowerTap vs PT Pro vs PT SL

CycleFast

Nov 12, 2005
I have a PT SL today on my outdoor bike and I'm thinking about getting a PT Pro or a PT which I'll use exclusively on my indoor trainer.

I will not use it outside, and I can live with the fact the the cheapeast model does not have the "smoothing of power" feature. I'm also aware of the other differences as noted in http://www.cycleops.com/products/powertapslcomparison.htm

Are there any other issues I should be aware of before purchasing a PT or PT Pro?

Thanks,

_________
CycleFast

CycleFast said:
I have a PT SL today on my outdoor bike and I'm thinking about getting a PT Pro or a PT which I'll use exclusively on my indoor trainer.

I will not use it outside, and I can live with the fact the the cheapeast model does not have the "smoothing of power" feature. I'm also aware of the other differences as noted in http://www.cycleops.com/products/powertapslcomparison.htm

Are there any other issues I should be aware of before purchasing a PT or PT Pro?

Thanks,

_________
CycleFast
Why don't you just buy an extra wiring harness and a new rear wheel (any model, doesn't matter that much). That way you can just switch the CPU between bikes.

Woofer said:
Why don't you just buy an extra wiring harness and a new rear wheel (any model, doesn't matter that much). That way you can just switch the CPU between bikes.

So a Pro wheel will work with a SL CPU?

Which begs the question, who is selling new hubs only?

This would be a cheaper solution to the backup wheel I've realized I need after a month with no data-crack to smoke. (thanks, Cycleops for shutting down all production and repair on SL's the day you get my hub in for new bearings. And saying it would be 2-3 weeks. Then, 3 weeks later, again saying it would be 2-3 weeks. :mad: )

AFAIK one can use any hub with a yellow Pro CPU. I think this might be true of the std yellow but I don't know for sure.

AFAIK one can use any newer wiring harness with any hub, with some small changes in mounting location for differences between the SL and the non-SL, and some older wiring harnesses will not work with the SL.

Last time I looked, anyone with an account with Graber can buy just a hub. It's just not advertised much online. Wheelbuilder.com has it and probably the local LBS that is a Graber dealer can get if you ask them.

Woofer said:
Or by just an extra harness, like I did, and switch both the wheel and CPU between bikes. :)

I think the only difference between the Pro and the Std powertap is the Pro computer has more memory and has the data smoothing option and the Pro hub has a yellow cover instead of the black cover on the Std. Difference between the SL and the Pro is obviously the hub, but the computer is the same. Not sure if the pickup/harness for the SL and the Pro are interchangable though.

Erik

frenchyge said:
Or by just an extra harness, like I did, and switch both the wheel and CPU between bikes. :)

Since the OP is using a PT for a dedicated trainer bike, I assumed he did not want to go to the trouble of changing tires for indoor and outdoor use and just use his one wheel. Even on my bikes that I don't use a PT on, it's a minor pain to change tires for outdoor training versus racing versus trainer.

Woofer said:
Since the OP is using a PT for a dedicated trainer bike, I assumed he did not want to go to the trouble of changing tires for indoor and outdoor use and just use his one wheel. Even on my bikes that I don't use a PT on, it's a minor pain to change tires for outdoor training versus racing versus trainer.
Agree that changing tires is a pain. It's a "once per season" thing for me since I rarely ride road during the winter and rarely ride the trainer during the summer. I usually leave the trainer tire on my PT wheel until I'm sure the weather will stay warm for good (except for a spring race). Changing the tire is easier than convincing the wife that I need *another* power-meter-thingy-wheel. :)