Powertap Wheel Buildup Question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by likes to ride, Nov 12, 2007.

1. likes to ride

likes to ride New Member

Can I take my 32 spoke Powertap hub and have it built up on a 36 hole Zipp 530 clincher 700c?

Tags:

2. daveornee

daveornee New Member

Almost any combination could be made to "lace up". However, it would be difficult to get the spoke lengths correct and skipping every 9th rim hole would make the spoke support/spoke alignment/tension balance/true combination impossible. I would consider it an emergency only situation.... I did a 32H rim of a 36H hub once in Eastern Montana during a cross country tour, because the only available 700C rim was 32H and we needed to have something for our riding partner to go (his 36H rim failed) on during the tour. He road it for nearly 400 miles before replacing it, but I douln't do it under other conditions.

3. Ricitius

Ricitius New Member

I'm about to do the exact same thing on a Velocity Deep V, with 36 holes, and a Bianchi hub, with 32 holes. So far from I've been reading online it is possible to do.

Here is something I found concerning a 48h rim and a 36h hub:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080625102638AAeLc3g

I'll post more info if I find it. Right now I'm figuring out all of the info on the rim and hub I can possible find in order to get the right size spokes tomorrow, and of course a spoke wrench.

4. parawolf

parawolf New Member

You could... yes... should you... hmmm well I wouldn't.

5. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

Perhaps you could do this with a regular hub if others indicate so, but since this is powertap hub what would that do concerning the hub torque if you are using for tracking data?

6. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

While I suppose you can lace almost any rim to any hub, I don't think what you have in mind is a particularly good idea from a cosmetic or a practical point of view ...

First, you will have to decide which FOUR holes in the rim you are not going to use. Unlike omitting the use of FOUR spoke holes in the hub, having FOUR open spoke holes in the rim means that you would (presumably) have four clusters of 8 spokes which would probably be cosmetically unappealing (to me) and probably structurally dubious (for want of a more technical term) ...

From a practical point of view, I think you will probably need a minimum of SIX different spoke lengths (i.e., THREE for each side) which YOU will have to determine through trial-and-error OR direct measurement.

FWIW. I recommend that you save that 36h rim for another wheel build with a 36h hub & buy a 32h rim to use with your 32h Powertap hub.

7. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Leaving holes empty in the hub is no big deal, although getting the spoke lengths right usually takes some doing and true&tension becomes a bit more time consuming. But leaving holes empty in the rim is another issue entirely.
    I wouldn't consider it unless that rim is also available in a drilling (reasonably) corresponding to the spans of unsupported rim the empty holes will cause.
    If the rim is drilled with a clear directionality of the spoke holes(i.e. the spoke holes are significantly aimed at either the left or the right flange), then you run into another issue, as leaving one hole empty will either leave you running two consecutive spokes to the same flange, or having half of the spokes sitting at an awkward angle as the leave the rim aimed at one flange but will be forced towards the other.
    I've built wheels in lateral cross deliberately before, but it doesn't look quite right, and I wouldn't do it for something pricey as a powertap hub.

If I was intent on using that combo I'd bring out a fretsaw, some 3 mm sheet aluminum and a drill. Then I'd cut something looking like a large-diameter washer with 16 holes around its inner perimeter and 18 holes around its outer perimeter and use it as an adapter flange.