Powertap wired --> Wireless

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by Mac_Biker, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Mac_Biker

Mac_Biker New Member

I got in contact with Cycleops. They are converting my wired Powertap SL+ into a wireless power tap for 350$.
    I had it worked out through a Local shop. I dropped off the wheel on November 27, the day before Thanksgiving.
    They said they might not be able to get it out until the following Monday December 2nd because of the holidays.
    Our office send packages out all the time. FedEx ships on Friday and Saturday too.

Cycleops told me that it'll take a couple of days for the wheel to turnover once they receive it.
    The shop told me 2-3 weeks.

I contacted Cycleops to see if they've received the wheel the week after, but they said they needed the RA number which I didn't have on me. But reassured me that it'll be a few days after receiving the wheel.

I contacted the shop late last week about it to get a status. It was through an email. I guess they weren't happy with me nagging them about my wheel.
    Basically told me that they weren't making any profit off this transaction and that it'll take as long as it'll take. And they'll email me once they get any updates.
    I've already paid the 350$. And when I pick up the wheel, I was suppose to pay the shipping.

Here is their email from the bike shop to me.
    It hasn't returned. Sorry, I don't have an expected date. They don't give us expected dates of return. You are literally at their mercy. I realize it's been 2 1/2 weeks since it mailed out but it is out of my control. I am literally making zero dollars on this, $350 is what Saris charges, I get nothing. I'm pointing this out because there is nothing I can do to rush this process along. I also realize you are anxious but once again, I am profiting zero on this, only providing you help with it. I can't even ask them for a discount on it because I get nothing from it. I promise you I will email you immediately when it arrives.
    On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM, <Mac_biker> wrote: I was wondering if the wheel has returned from Cycleops yet? And if not, when do you expect it to be in. I dropped it off about 3 weeks ago. Thanks. ----

I like using the power tap for my winter training. And haven't been able to for the last month. It's very upsetting. I'm not sure what else I can do.
    How long does a service like this usually take?
    I was thinking a few days to ship out, a few days at the company and few days to ship back...

Tags:

2. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

It would not take long once the Cycleops technician started. I too had really bad issues with Cycleops a few years ago, but mine was getting the RA number and getting permission to just send it back to them. They kept insisting that it wasn't broke, but the numbers on the display for output was way off.

Once I had the RA number I sent it in on 2nd day shipping FedEx so that I could track the package. A day after the package arrived it was back in shipping to me. So the repair, which is the same amount of time for the upgrade would be the same since they only do a complete overhaul on faulty hubs and that was a day turnaround.

I have seen multitudes of happy customers posts about Cycleops, but I have to say in my case several of the representatives were really rude to me. I finally spoke to one technician that was extremely friendly, promptly gave me the RA number and took care of me from that point forward. By the way I asked to have my hub rebuilt to wireless and they refused to do that for me at the time and said they would only do the $350 service and return it as it was, which was a wired PT hub.

Just a side note:
    A year later I bought a new PT wheel from Wheelbuilder.com and found out they are an authorized service center for PowerTap hubs and were extremely friendly. The technician there told me that unlike Cycleops that only does the $350 service that they will only service the broken part if that is what the customer wants and have really good equipment to test and certify accuracy before sending it back.

But again I have seen a lot of forum members state they had very good customer service from Cycleops. I also could be a really bad time of the year with people have vacation days around the holiday times and that could be part of the issue.

3. Mac_Biker

Mac_Biker New Member

After the venting. The wheel has arrived. It works beautifully. It's a Powertap G3, brand new with a warranty.
    350$ is not a bad deal.

4. ambal

ambal Active Member

powertaps are rock solid. I'm gonna try a stages powermeter soon.