Powertap (wireless?)

samtheclip

Sep 22, 2003
Any news on this product (retail price, when available, weight)? Figures. today I got my SL and I find out this is coming out. Just my luck.

I recall seeing a post on this before, I believe it exists, just not released to public yet. The rumors had it dubbed the PT 2.4 (for the wireless technology). No formal information on release date, although people were speculating fall to winter time frame. Also, the rumor on price was that it was a couple hundred more than the SL version.
All of this is based purely on other's speculation and my memory. :rolleyes:

I've heard that they will be released in early October. There are about 4-5 on-line sites taking pre-orders at around $1400-$1500.

gogoturtle said:
I've heard that they will be released in early October. There are about 4-5 on-line sites taking pre-orders at around $1400-$1500.
That makes sense. Interbike is the last week in September. Good venue for the launch. I'll take pictures and post them if they have it at Interbike.

RapDaddyo said:
That makes sense. Interbike is the last week in September. Good venue for the launch. I'll take pictures and post them if they have it at Interbike.
It's listed on Saris' web site now

dkrenik said:
It's listed on Saris' web site now
Cool. It's hard to tell from the pic alone, but my expectation was that it would be identical to the SL but with 2.4GHz strain gauges. It's possible they did something with the internals (e.g., even more attention to a watertight seal), but that's not going to be apparent without opening it up and comparing it with the current SL.

RapDaddyo said:
Cool. It's hard to tell from the pic alone, but my expectation was that it would be identical to the SL but with 2.4GHz strain gauges. It's possible they did something with the internals (e.g., even more attention to a watertight seal), but that's not going to be apparent without opening it up and comparing it with the current SL.

Looks like it still requires the wires for actual cadence, so although the power is wireless, its still not, completely wireless....not sure if it's worth the extra $.

RapDaddyO
Any more news from Zipp?

cPritch67 said:
Looks like it still requires the wires for actual cadence, so although the power is wireless, its still not, completely wireless....not sure if it's worth the extra $.

RapDaddyO
Any more news from Zipp?
Yes, it is my understanding that cadence (at the crank) is still hard-wired. Apart from eliminating the hard-wired receiver, I'm not sure there is any difference relative to the SL.

Negotiations are still in progress with Zipp, but I'm not giong to put a couple of new stickers over the yellowed ones. I'm not going to push it until my target events are over in October. At that point, I'm probably going to want to upgrade to the SL2.4 PT hub, so I may negotiate a swap + $$ deal. I'll let you know.

RapDaddyo said:
Yes, it is my understanding that cadence (at the crank) is still hard-wired. Apart from eliminating the hard-wired receiver, I'm not sure there is any difference relative to the SL.

Negotiations are still in progress with Zipp, but I'm not giong to put a couple of new stickers over the yellowed ones. I'm not going to push it until my target events are over in October. At that point, I'm probably going to want to upgrade to the SL2.4 PT hub, so I may negotiate a swap + $$ deal. I'll let you know.

Not to take this too far off topic, but which wheel are you running (303's, 404's & tubular or clincher)? I have the 303's clinchers built up with the PTSL and was considering the same - not sure I could justify replacing with the 2.4 just for the sake of one less wire.

cPritch67 said:
Not to take this too far off topic, but which wheel are you running (303's, 404's & tubular or clincher)? I have the 303's clinchers built up with the PTSL and was considering the same - not sure I could justify replacing with the 2.4 just for the sake of one less wire.
404 clinchers. I would not be changing to the SL2.4 if it were an isolated decision, and I'm not yet certain that I will change to the SL2.4. It depends on other developments that I'm not yet prepared to make public. One way or the other, I will be wireless at the end of this year.

RapDaddyo said:
It depends on other developments that I'm not yet prepared to make public. One way or the other, I will be wireless at the end of this year.
Man! Talk about leaving the door wide open. Any hints?

dkrenik said:
Man! Talk about leaving the door wide open. Any hints?
Maybe some details at Interbike. When I have something formal to announce, I'll be sure the forum is the first to know. BTW, if you had your druthers for rolling average durations for power, what duration options would you want?

RapDaddyo said:
Maybe some details at Interbike. When I have something formal to announce, I'll be sure the forum is the first to know. BTW, if you had your druthers for rolling average durations for power, what duration options would you want?
30s, 1m, 5m

dkrenik said:
Yes I would :D
Cool.:cool: I sort of thought you would. Seriously, I guess that gives you a little insight into my way of thinking -- lots of data and lots of choices.:D

Traded emails with Richard Sawiris today. The cadenece will come in 2 flavors. Optional wireless transmitter and a more robust/sophisticated update of the "virtual version".

Should be out late August to mid September.

dkrenik said:
Traded emails with Richard Sawiris today. The cadenece will come in 2 flavors. Optional wireless transmitter and a more robust/sophisticated update of the "virtual version".

I note that they have now posted the MSRP ($1499). I assume they'll be taking orders soon.

dkrenik said:

Has anyone tried the "virtual" cadence on their current PTSL? Is it fairly accurate?