Powertap with Campy 11s

Glen75

Jun 11, 2007
Hi, i'm in the process of building up my new bike (Specialized Roubaix s works) with Campag record 11s.

After reading alot about wheels on this site, it seems it is hard to go past a good set of hand builts. So i was thinking of building a set owth Open pro rims and a Powertap rear hub.

When reading a few threads, i see that some hub/wheels combo's don't have enough dish/clearance as the top cog on a 11s is a little offset towards the centre, and they have problems with the rear mech rubbing against the spokes. I would like to avoid this.

Qu1-Will the power tap work correctly and give anough clearance with 11s?

Qu2-What are the cyclops matching front hubs like for quality?

Glen75 said:
Hi, i'm in the process of building up my new bike (Specialized Roubaix s works) with Campag record 11s.

After reading alot about wheels on this site, it seems it is hard to go past a good set of hand builts. So i was thinking of building a set owth Open pro rims and a Powertap rear hub.

When reading a few threads, i see that some hub/wheels combo's don't have enough dish/clearance as the top cog on a 11s is a little offset towards the centre, and they have problems with the rear mech rubbing against the spokes. I would like to avoid this.

Qu1-Will the power tap work correctly and give anough clearance with 11s?

Qu2-What are the cyclops matching front hubs like for quality?

Don't know the answer to #2, but you should ask Saris or your local PT dealer/distributor. Saris may even have something in an FAQ. The Powertap manual says it works for Campy 8,9,and 10, but it's still worth checking.

alienator said:
Don't know the answer to #2, but you should ask Saris or your local PT dealer/distributor. Saris may even have something in an FAQ. The Powertap manual says it works for Campy 8,9,and 10, but it's still worth checking.

Thanks for that, i'll give the FAQ a go.

Here's the answer: yes, PT hubs are compatible with Campy 11. That's the story from Excel Sports, and they know their stuff.

alienator said:
Here's the answer: yes, PT hubs are compatible with Campy 11. That's the story from Excel Sports, and they know their stuff.

Thanks heaps for that, much appreciated.

I now have another question which i hope you can answer

Re the power tap hubs, i'm looking at the

Saris Cycling Group

Powertap Elite +

or Maybe the

Powertap Pro +

I want to be able to hook it up to my Garmin 705. If the main or only drawback in weight due to the steel axle, i'm happy to go with the pro+, is there any other functions i'm missing?

The differences are that the Elite+ has the alloy axle, and the unit records HR monitor, peak power, and time in zones, while the Pro+ doesn't.