Powertap won't wake up, then displays zeros

kennethn

Oct 8, 2005
I've been using a Powertap SL for about eighteen months with good success. However, the last few days I've been encountering a strange problem. My computer works fine while on a ride, but by the time I connect it to the PC cradle it's sleeping and won't wake up. Eventually after fiddling with the buttons and shaking it will come around, but it's completely zeroed out. However, if I sync it, my ride data is still there. It took me until today to realize that - yesterday I pulled the battery out to get it restarted :-(

Some more info: batteries are newish, I'm not seeing any lowbatt indicators. No problems whatsoever while on the bike. I don't think it has anything to do with the cradle since it won't wake up even when it's not docked. I have the "start a new ride after N minutes" set to 120 mins., the longest I've gone between end of ride and downloading is 20 minutes, usually more like 10. Sleep is set to 5 minutes.

kennethn said:
I've been using a Powertap SL for about eighteen months with good success. However, the last few days I've been encountering a strange problem. My computer works fine while on a ride, but by the time I connect it to the PC cradle it's sleeping and won't wake up. Eventually after fiddling with the buttons and shaking it will come around, but it's completely zeroed out. However, if I sync it, my ride data is still there. It took me until today to realize that - yesterday I pulled the battery out to get it restarted :-(

Some more info: batteries are newish, I'm not seeing any lowbatt indicators. No problems whatsoever while on the bike. I don't think it has anything to do with the cradle since it won't wake up even when it's not docked. I have the "start a new ride after N minutes" set to 120 mins., the longest I've gone between end of ride and downloading is 20 minutes, usually more like 10. Sleep is set to 5 minutes.
"I have the "start a new ride after N minutes" set to 120 mins...." Where do you set this? New feature in the 2.4? - TF

Terry Ferguson said:
"I have the "start a new ride after N minutes" set to 120 mins...." Where do you set this? New feature in the 2.4? - TF
Nope, it's an SL head unit. I set it via the PowerAgent software, sorry I'm not in front of it now and don't know what they name it. I erred before though, it's actually set to 180 mins.

Despite the newness of the battery and the lack of a warning light, you may still want to try a new battery...that's always fix #1.

Could also be firmware. If a batter doesn't fix it, I'd call Saris tech support and ask them.