PowertapSL computer on stem

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by jimbonnet, Jan 19, 2006.

1. jimbonnet

jimbonnet New Member

I had thought about getting the stem mount for my powertap installation from Cing Cycling but that site is gone.

Does anyone have another solution for mounting the powertapSL computer on their stem?

Cheers-
    Jim

Tags:

2. bigbevans

bigbevans New Member

Mine came with a mount that allows you to mount it on the stem or bars.

3. PSUcycling

PSUcycling New Member

you need to use 4 zip ties. It worked very well on mine.

here is a quick sketch, i know it sucks, but you get the idea...i hope.

http://www.geocities.com/grilledchickenbreast2000/powertap.jpg

also, use a square or two of bar tape between the mount and stem, allows the zip ties to really cinch the mount down and keeps it from slipping.

john

4. jimbonnet

jimbonnet New Member

That drawing does not suck.. Thank you very much.. I havent taken posession of the unit yet so it may include a mount as the OP said.. If it does not I will use your drawing.

Thanks! Take care.
    Jim

5. kennf

kennf New Member

The mount that is currently shipping with it can be mounted on the bar or stem. Two zip ties and that's it.

6. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

Yeah, you just rotate the computer harnass 90-deg before snapping it into the bar mount, unless I'm missing something here.

7. PSUcycling

PSUcycling New Member

i had the PT Pro that you had to improvise.

8. bigbevans

bigbevans New Member

If you have the powertap SL the owners manual shows you how to mount it on the stem page 9 (Section 3B)

9. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

Mine's also a PT Pro. Was there a specific model that required improv? My mount came in 2 pieces, one that is rounded to fit the bar, and the other one molded to hold the computer. My installation instructions described that I should slide the 2 pieces together in one way for bar mounting, and another for stem mounting.

10. PSUcycling

PSUcycling New Member

it was the original style mount.......one piece.

btw, frencyge do you race for team up there? I just moved from KS about 6months ago, I was racing for Tailwind out of Pburg.

11. peterpen

peterpen New Member

Related question - has anyone successfully mounted it on the bar, then changed their mind and switched it to the stem mount? I'm reluctant to take it off the bar without knowing for sure that I can switch it.
    thx,
    peter

12. PSUcycling

PSUcycling New Member

If you have the old style mount, then you can easily use my drawing, if you have the newer mount, you can turn the base 90 deg. However, you will probably not have enough slack in the wiring harness. If you can easily let some out (ie. undoing a few turns from your brake cable) then you should have no problem

Jmac

13. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

I did a couple races (Baldwin City and KS State RR & Crit) last summer as a Cat 5 on the SKC Racing team. I've seen the Tailwind guys here and there, but I can't say I know any of them personally. I'm planning to ride the State TT this year, so I'm sure I'll run into them out there in your old stomping grounds. :)

14. peterpen

peterpen New Member

I'd do it when I put new cables in so the wiring won't be a problem, but with the new mount it looks like I can't take the stem/bar mount and CPU cradle pieces apart once I've chosen which way I want them to connect. They seem to snap into place permanently. :(

15. PSUcycling

PSUcycling New Member

The manager's name is Roger Lomshek, a super nice guy and probably the best mechanic I've ever met. He owns a small shop there in Pburg. I helped with the TT last year, it was hot.....
    If you get a chance, go down there and do the Tailwind RR & Crit. I helped design the crit course, it goes through the college campus, its one of the funnest I've done.

Jmac

16. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

That was sorta the impression I got when I first put it together, but since I can't look at the mount nor the instructions right now I didn't want to say something wrong.

17. PSUcycling

PSUcycling New Member

18. jbvcoaching

jbvcoaching New Member

Yes, I've done this. You can't muscle the thing off though, you have to look at the instructions and then slide a thin screwdriver blade (or something similar) into the correct side of the mount to get it apart.

All the new mounts are this "2 piece" version, regardless of standard, pro, sl. I didn't like it at first because if you just put it normally on the bar, it jacks the CPU up an extra cm and looks kind of goofy. It's much cleaner on my stem, and of course the versatility makes mounting it on aerobars much easier.

19. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member