Practice parking lot crits?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by jj, Aug 30, 2005.

  1. jj

    jj Guest

    Man I had a great time doing a "pretend" criterion in this huge parking lot
    with lots of lanes and dividers on Sunday. There's a satellite hospital
    annex with about 5 big centers and a great hill leading out to the state
    police hdqts and it's nearly empty on weekends.

    It's totally different from road riding and hill climbing and stuff.
    Totally kicked my own ass in about 30 minutes, trying to accelerate up the
    steeps (it was on a saddle back ridge) and lean into the S turns.

    Was about one mile around the 'course' and about three different courses
    possible, so it wan't boring 'riding around in circles', lol.

    If you haven't done one, try it. ;-D

    At the end of the crit, I did an out and back down this hill that was so
    steep, I was cringing in fear going down it. I kept thinking 'dude, you're
    not going to be able to climb back up outta there. Shite!!

    It goes down to a narrow bridge and a sharp uphill that curves around the
    hilltop on the other side. Topo obviously lies, but says it's a 15-20%
    grade. Because of the bridge on the curve you just can't get much run up on
    either side.

    Haha, very strange to get within about 50 feet from the top and your mind
    is saying 'I'm gonna make it and your legs are saying 'oh no you're not!'.

    Time becomes molasses-slow... ;-)

    jj

    Tags:

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    jj <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> At the end of the crit, I did an out and back down this hill that
    :> was so steep, I was cringing in fear going down it. I kept thinking
    :> 'dude, you're not going to be able to climb back up outta there.
    :> Shite!!
    :>
    :> It goes down to a narrow bridge and a sharp uphill that curves
    :> around the hilltop on the other side. Topo obviously lies, but says
    :> it's a 15-20% grade. Because of the bridge on the curve you just
    :> can't get much run up on either side.
    :>
    :> Haha, very strange to get within about 50 feet from the top and your
    :> mind is saying 'I'm gonna make it and your legs are saying 'oh no
    :> you're not!'.
    :>
    :> Time becomes molasses-slow... ;-)
    :>

    Jpegs, man, jpegs! :)

  3. On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:57:40 -0400, jj<[email protected]> wrote:

    >Man I had a great time doing a "pretend" criterion in this huge parking lot
    >with lots of lanes and dividers on Sunday. There's a satellite hospital
    >annex with about 5 big centers and a great hill leading out to the state
    >police hdqts and it's nearly empty on weekends.

    [...]

    Hmm. Sounds interesting.

    I think I know of a good place in my area for me to try this. The area mall is
    ringed by two concentric circle roads. Early on a Sunday or a work day, well
    before the normal opening time should be great for what you describe.

    Great idea.

    --
    Steve Koterski
    Atlanta, Georgia

    "Whenever you are to do a thing, though it can never be known but to yourself, ask
    yourself how you would act were all the world looking at you and act accordingly."
    -- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

  4. Pat Lamb

    Pat Lamb Guest

    Steve Koterski wrote:
    > I think I know of a good place in my area for me to try this. The area mall is
    > ringed by two concentric circle roads. Early on a Sunday or a work day, well
    > before the normal opening time should be great for what you describe.
    >
    > Great idea.

    If the mall owns the roads and has posted "No bicycles," you may also
    get to race the rent-a-cops in a golf cart, cutting across the parking
    lot to tell you off. Beating them shouldn't be a problem...

    At least in my imagination. Never done that sort of thing, personally,
    you know?

    Pat

  5. On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:20:37 -0500, Pat Lamb <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Steve Koterski wrote:
    >> I think I know of a good place in my area for me to try this. The area mall is
    >> ringed by two concentric circle roads. Early on a Sunday or a work day, well
    >> before the normal opening time should be great for what you describe.
    >>
    >> Great idea.

    >If the mall owns the roads and has posted "No bicycles," you may also
    >get to race the rent-a-cops in a golf cart, cutting across the parking
    >lot to tell you off. Beating them shouldn't be a problem...
    >
    >At least in my imagination. Never done that sort of thing, personally,
    >you know?

    ROFL! I hadn't thought about that.

    I don't think the roads are part of the mall, other commercial establishments
    are situated off them (outside the mall perimeter).

    But I will post back here any comic anecdotes of playing cat-and-mouse with mall
    security.