Praise the New Shimano Front Shift 6603

Ivar Hesselager

Guest
I must admit the Shimano gear is improving. I did not expect any
improvement, only an unnessesary extra cog. But I have recently assembled
a new rain bike with Ultegra 3x10 speed - and I was amazed with the front
der's smooth and silent shifting.

On my sunshine bike I have a 3x9 Ultegra and I thought that the slow and
noisy shifting of its front der was an integral part of the granny gear.

It is obvious that the front der on the new 6603 has a new design which is
clearly better than the old one.

Now I want my old 3x9 to work just as smooth. Anybody in here knows if I
buy a seperate 6603 front der, will it work as well with my 9-speed chain?

Ivar of Denmark

Ivar Hesselager wrote:
> I must admit the Shimano gear is improving. I did not expect any
> improvement, only an unnessesary extra cog. But I have recently assembled
> a new rain bike with Ultegra 3x10 speed - and I was amazed with the front
> der's smooth and silent shifting.

Geee, it only took them 8 years to improve their FD shifting and DA is
still crappy.

> On my sunshine bike I have a 3x9 Ultegra and I thought that the slow and
> noisy shifting of its front der was an integral part of the granny gear.
>
> It is obvious that the front der on the new 6603 has a new design which is
> clearly better than the old one.
>
> Now I want my old 3x9 to work just as smooth. Anybody in here knows if I
> buy a seperate 6603 front der, will it work as well with my 9-speed chain?
>
> Ivar of Denmark

The arm length of the 10s FDs from shimano make them basically
incompatible with 9s shifters. We tried to put a 10s FD onto a DA 9s
sytem and it rubbed in the big ring/small combo OR small ring big cog
combo. However, a 9s FD will wortk with a 10s shifter, but not the
other way around.

I have a solution to your FD shifting ills....look down the post to
find it..............l

VV

Campagnolo........

14 Mar 2006 06:00:04 -0800, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]>
skrev:

> I have a solution to your FD shifting ills....look down the post to
> find it..............l
>
> VV

> Campagnolo........

Is that a general recommendation of Campa gear or can you actually
recommend a Chorous or Centaur 3x9 front der operated by a Shimano STI
shift?

Ivar

In article <ops6fb8txoxtdc4g@ivarsnotebook>,
"Ivar Hesselager" <[email protected]> wrote:

> 14 Mar 2006 06:00:04 -0800, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]>
> skrev:
>

> > I have a solution to your FD shifting ills....look down the post to
> > find it..............l
> >
> > Campagnolo........
> >

> Is that a general recommendation of Campa gear or can you actually
> recommend a Chorous or Centaur 3x9 front der operated by a Shimano STI
> shift?
>
> Ivar

There's the (chain) rub. The real joy is to use Campy shifters and any
old front derailer.

I run the cult favourite type of Shimagnolo drivetrain, thanks to my
friend and mechanical mentor, Dave: new Campy 9 shifters, old Campy 9
rear derailer, Shimano 9 cassette, rings, cranks, and front derailer.

The advantage of the Shimano 9 cassette is tapping into the vast supply:
locally I can get them cheaply and in a variety of gear combinations
(11-34, if I go crazy...). The advantage of the Campy shifters is
rebuildability and feel: I like 'em. The rear Campy derailer of the
"old" Campy 9-speed leverage ratio makes everything work out just right,
shifting-wise, and the front rings, cranks, and derailer are Shimano
because that's what I could get cheaply.

This drivetrain is a rank offense to all that is decent and reasonable,
and that's what I like about it most.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> I have a solution to your FD shifting ills.... Campagnolo........

Are you saying the Campy FDs shift much better than the Shimano FDs? Or
are you recommending Ergos over STI? If it's the FD, what has Campy done
to the FD to bring about this improvement?

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Ivar Hesselager wrote:
> 14 Mar 2006 06:00:04 -0800, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]>
> skrev:
>

> > I have a solution to your FD shifting ills....look down the post to
> > find it..............l
> >
> > VV

> > Campagnolo........
> >

> Is that a general recommendation of Campa gear or can you actually
> recommend a Chorous or Centaur 3x9 front der operated by a Shimano STI
> shift?
>
> Ivar

As ratcheting friction rather than a positional system, Campagnolo
triple shifting has always been less of a problem than shimano. Alas,
even a Campag fd will not make shimano triple shifting as problem free
as Campagnolo. Interesting too, since shimano MTB front shifting, ala
rapidfireplus was very good.

dvt wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > I have a solution to your FD shifting ills.... Campagnolo........

> Are you saying the Campy FDs shift much better than the Shimano FDs? Or
> are you recommending Ergos over STI? If it's the FD, what has Campy done
> to the FD to bring about this improvement?
>
> --
> Dave
> dvt at psu dot edu

Ergo system over STI system....For short wheelbased bicycles, some we
have seen and some 650c, really small bicycles, a shimano FD sometimes
actually works better than Campag, with ERGO, but the reverse is not
true, STI with a Campag FD.