pre-NR campy track hubs on ebay

[email protected] wrote:
> Does anyone know anything about these hubs?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Campagn...ryZ56197QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Well, they are ancient. These are collectors' items, not really for
serious use. They are also not track hubs. The rear is a flip-flop hub
(I haven't seen such a hub made by Campy before), but with the
non-lockring side and the Q/R axles, they were certainly made for road use.

Campagnolo bought out FB (when I don't know, but someone will); these
hubs are from shortly after the takeover, since they still are using the
steel center part of the shell. I have an FB hub that looks quite a bit
like this, except that it is high flange.

No way are they from the 60s. I have a pair of 60s-vintage track hubs,
and they are indistinguishable from Record hubs of the 70s. But, of
course, they are not track hubs, anyway. 40 hole rear and low flange?

--

David L. Johnson

It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster.
--Greg LeMond

On Jun 19, 6:36 pm, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Does anyone know anything about these hubs?

> >http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Campagnolo-Track-Hubs_W0QQitemZ2701309659...

> Well, they are ancient. These are collectors' items, not really for
> serious use. They are also not track hubs. The rear is a flip-flop hub
> (I haven't seen such a hub made by Campy before), but with the
> non-lockring side and the Q/R axles, they were certainly made for road use.
>
> Campagnolo bought out FB (when I don't know, but someone will); these
> hubs are from shortly after the takeover, since they still are using the
> steel center part of the shell. I have an FB hub that looks quite a bit
> like this, except that it is high flange.
>
> No way are they from the 60s. I have a pair of 60s-vintage track hubs,
> and they are indistinguishable from Record hubs of the 70s. But, of
> course, they are not track hubs, anyway. 40 hole rear and low flange?

They look like old Gran Sport hubs. The picture is bad, but I think
they are three piece. Gran Sport hubs were made for a long time and
were a low cost alternative to Record. Maybe Peter or Andrew can shed
some light on this. -- Jay Beattie.

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:07:05 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> Does anyone know anything about these hubs?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Campagn...ryZ56197QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Those are damn near the ultimate hubs, as well as being highly collectible,
as with everything Campagnolo. At a winning bid of $56, the buyer was
extremely lucky to say the least. $560 would have been a bargain. The
problem is, I bet the seller realizes he got 'ripped', and won't follow
through on delivery (which would be both poor form and totally
understandable).

On Jun 19, 7:36 pm, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Does anyone know anything about these hubs?

> >http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Campagnolo-Track-Hubs_W0QQitemZ2701309659...

> Well, they are ancient. These are collectors' items, not really for
> serious use. They are also not track hubs. The rear is a flip-flop hub
> (I haven't seen such a hub made by Campy before), but with the
> non-lockring side and the Q/R axles, they were certainly made for road use.

4s or so freewheel on each side with different ratios..stop, flip
wheel, continue-type thing.

> Campagnolo bought out FB (when I don't know, but someone will); these
> hubs are from shortly after the takeover, since they still are using the
> steel center part of the shell. I have an FB hub that looks quite a bit
> like this, except that it is high flange.
>
> No way are they from the 60s. I have a pair of 60s-vintage track hubs,
> and they are indistinguishable from Record hubs of the 70s. But, of
> course, they are not track hubs, anyway. 40 hole rear and low flange?
>
> --
>
> David L. Johnson
>
> It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster.
> --Greg LeMond

> On Jun 19, 7:36 pm, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>> > Does anyone know anything about these hubs?

>> >http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Campagnolo-Track-Hubs_W0QQitemZ2701309659...

>> Well, they are ancient. These are collectors' items, not really
>> for
>> serious use. They are also not track hubs. The rear is a
>> flip-flop hub
>> (I haven't seen such a hub made by Campy before), but with the
>> non-lockring side and the Q/R axles, they were certainly made for
>> road use.

> 4s or so freewheel on each side with different ratios..stop, flip
> wheel, continue-type thing.

That is wild. Campy should do the same thing today with 10sp. Do the
Santana 160mm rear spacing thing and have a 20 cog flip-flop. -- Jay
Beattie.

"Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> 4s or so freewheel on each side with different ratios..stop, flip
>> wheel, continue-type thing.

> That is wild.

I think Peter's mistaken: this is a fixed-free hub. You can clearly see the
lockring thread on the fixed side:

http://i8.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/a4/7f/5889_1.JPG

and the spacing is asymmetric. Note the spacer between the cone and its
locknut on the free side, and the absence of a spacer on the fixed side.
This was a dished wheel:

http://i24.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/a4/7f/58a2_1.JPG

http://i3.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/a4/7f/58ef_1.JPG

This setup wasn't uncommon on club bikes in the fifties in Britain, and the
40/32 drilling suggests this pair may originally have been sold on the
British market where that combination was usual.

James Thomson

In article
<[email protected]>,
Troll Report <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:07:05 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know anything about these hubs?
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Campagn...ryZ56197QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

> Those are damn near the ultimate hubs, as well as being highly collectible,
> as with everything Campagnolo. At a winning bid of $56, the buyer was
> extremely lucky to say the least. $560 would have been a bargain. The
> problem is, I bet the seller realizes he got 'ripped', and won't follow
> through on delivery (which would be both poor form and totally
> understandable).

What do you mean ripped? It is an auction.

--
Michael Press