Pre-packaged Food vs Homemade Food

PE10

Jun 15, 2010
Hi Everyone,

On my usual long ride of the training week I'll do between 80 and 100 miles over hilly terrain. After the ride, I'll have burned over 3000kj (80 miler) of energy. The issue I had was trying to stay properly fueled on these rides. Prepackaged foods e.g. power/cliff bars don't seem to do the trick for me, and they tend to be on the sweet side and hard to stomach after downing two to three of those. Then top the sweet bars off with gels or gel chews and it's overload. I watched a clip of Dr. Allen Lim in the kitchen preparing homemade race food for pro riders such as rice cakes, potatoes, and panini sandwiches. Brilliant I thought, real food. I've even used a few of those recipes and they taste great. Has anyone else tossed the bars and such for real food on long rides? If so what do you whip up that works really well. I'm looking for new recipes to try.

PE10 said:
Hi Everyone,

On my usual long ride of the training week I'll do between 80 and 100 miles over hilly terrain. After the ride, I'll have burned over 3000kj (80 miler) of energy. The issue I had was trying to stay properly fueled on these rides. Prepackaged foods e.g. power/cliff bars don't seem to do the trick for me, and they tend to be on the sweet side and hard to stomach after downing two to three of those. Then top the sweet bars off with gels or gel chews and it's overload. I watched a clip of Dr. Allen Lim in the kitchen preparing homemade race food for pro riders such as rice cakes, potatoes, and panini sandwiches. Brilliant I thought, real food. I've even used a few of those recipes and they taste great. Has anyone else tossed the bars and such for real food on long rides? If so what do you whip up that works really well. I'm looking for new recipes to try.

Yup. On long rides, I take PB&J or PB&Banana. When I use prepackaged stuff, it's Sport Beans or Clif bars. I don't find Clif bars too sweet at all.

I'm not sure why but PB&J or PB&Banana doesn't do a lot for me, I get more out of bars, and my favorites, besides the one's I listed above are Power and Cliff bars. Taking real food along I've found to be a pain unless I'm using the handlebar bag, otherwise it gets squashed, and the heat makes the stuff hot and nasty, and bars fit into the saddle bag. If I need real food on a long ride I just stop into a store or fast food place and buy it and thats one of the reasons why I carry no less then $40.