pre/post bike ride in the rain--what to do for bike?

Skoorb

Jan 9, 2007
Besides lubing the chain pre-ride, is there anything else I should do before riding in the rain or after? All the hubs and bearings are totally sealed, I think, and everything is stainless steel (except maybe the cables?), so what do I need to be concerned about? Is it bad on the bike? :)

I am curious about this too since I am a newbie, and I got stuck 10 miles from the car last Thursday when we had a huge rain storm pass through. The good news is I averaged my fastest average mph since I started riding! The bad news is my wife lectured me for not checking the weather before I left the house. :D I wiped the bike down when I got home and the next day I put some chain lube on the chain. I still need to get some general purpose lube for the rest of the mechanical parts. Took the bike out since then and everything seems to be working fine.

man.... i've riden the past two days in the rain because florida is rediculous and can't go 2 hours without raining after the sun comes out....

I wipe everything down and don't have any bike lube - pre tell what else to do

Lightly bounce the bike to shake off any water. Wipe the chain off and relube it. There are a couple of things that should have been part of your regular maintenance. If you are going to ride in the rain and you have a steel frame bike, spray the inside of the tubes with a rust inhibitor. On any bike you should spray a good teflon or silicone lube through your cable guides and pull your cables through white lithium grease, whether they are stainless steel or not. You don't need to have globs of grease hanging from the cables, just enough to get between the strands to keep water out.

bobsbarricades said:
man.... i've riden the past two days in the rain because florida is rediculous and can't go 2 hours without raining after the sun comes out....

I wipe everything down and don't have any bike lube - pre tell what else to do
I had bearing rust problems on my Velomax Circuit front hub after a heavy rainstorm. These hubs just have end caps over the cartridge bearings with no axle seals. Believe many of the "boutique" hubs are like this. Great for low drag, but not so good in the rain.

The factory rep advised me after rainy rides to pull off the end caps and dry any water droplets that may have gotten inside before it can rust the bearings. It just takes a few minutes to do this on both wheels.

I've never messed with greasing cables, or had any problems with them, but suppose it would be good insurance if you have to ride in rain often.

Here is my post rainy day ride treatment for my bikes;

Steel singlespeed(I train on most). As soon as I'm back I hose it down(gets rid of most of the grime when its still wet). Next few days - wash it and lube the chain.

That's it!! I've had the bike for 12 years(not all of them riding it). It lives in a garage that does get damp. It has got lines of rust on the frame from me sweating on to it when riding rollers. It has got little bits of surface rust when the paint is worn/scratched away.
Steel frames rusting to the point of breaking is almost unheard of:eek:

Aluminium framed training bike & race bike;
Hose off when home. Next few days - wash it and lube the chain.

Don't sweat the wet !!:)

Bigbananabike said:
Steel frames rusting to the point of breaking is almost unheard of:eek:
Saw it happen a couple of times when I worked for an LBS in my younger days. It was always from the inside out and usually someone who would put the bike away wet and not get it out for weeks on end. Another big thing was rusted bottom brackets where you would ruin the threads getting the adjustable cup out.

after the ride you've gotta try to dry the chain and get some oil on it, unless it's old a cruddy, and you don't give a **** about it. :) I've had chains develop surface rust overnight after a wet ride. It's also handy to make sure the cassette doesn't sit with water on it for a long time. It's preferable to give the chain, cassette and chainrigs a clean before your next ride.

Chains and cassettes aren't as crucial as other parts because they're replaced periodically. What's much more important is making sure most of the threaded parts (especially the very tight bits) are greased to prevent seizing as a result of corrosion, or treated with something else to prevent seizing. Most important are the bottom bracket, seatpost (especially if it's aluminium), pedals and cranks bolts. It's also preferable to grease the brake caliper bolts (in the frame and fork), brake cable clamp bolts, brake pad bolts, seat collar bolt, seat clamp bolt, all the stem bolts, and chainrings bolts.....I've probably forgotten some

If your bike has been thrown together by some bike shop monkey :))), I'd doubt the basics, such as the pedals, cranks and bottom bracket, would've been greased.

I'm not a big fan of lubing cables, because it seems to attract more gunk that it's worth.

kdelong said:
Saw it happen a couple of times when I worked for an LBS in my younger days. It was always from the inside out and usually someone who would put the bike away wet and not get it out for weeks on end. Another big thing was rusted bottom brackets where you would ruin the threads getting the adjustable cup out.
===========================================================
This I can understand.
I use my steelie often(almost everyday - obviously it doesn't rain everyday I ride).
I've never had the BB done on it(it feels fine and that's what a bike shop said too) but it will be interesting when it does come out...:eek:

Skoorb said:
Besides lubing the chain pre-ride, is there anything else I should do before riding in the rain or after? All the hubs and bearings are totally sealed, I think, and everything is stainless steel (except maybe the cables?), so what do I need to be concerned about? Is it bad on the bike? :)
After you dry your bike, flip it upside down to rest on the hoods and seat.
If water leaks out along the seat post you should think about sealing that up with some silicone ( get a black color).
Also , if you waded thru some deep water(south florida roads), it may be wise to take off one of the tires to check that water did not get inside the rim by way of the valve stem or spokes.
Wipe down and lube the chain.

bobsbarricades said:
so basically....don't ride in the rain :)
I did end up doing a big ride today and go pretty soaked. I've followed the recommendations here (besides tearing it down and lubing everything--didn't have time for that!). I was going to take my mountain bike out instead (it has road slicks and isn't that bad on the roads) but noticed its cranks really are quite far out making for a big Q-factor and with my knee pain I didn't feel that was the right way to go. The ride was good but it sure does suck after a while riding in the rain. Running in the rain is fine, but riding just isn't that fun.

Skoorb said:
The ride was good but it sure does suck after a while riding in the rain. Running in the rain is fine, but riding just isn't that fun.
I think it is a lot of fun riding in the rain as long as it is warm and not too heavy. Also it is better to do it on a bike trail rather than in traffic, at least around here. The drivers around here have a hard enough time missing cyclists on clear sunny days, much less when it is raining.:eek:

kdelong said:
I think it is a lot of fun riding in the rain
- I just can't stand drinking the water/grit thrown off the rear wheel of the bike in front of the line. Drives me nuts , when I think about it ...

- other than that , riding in the rain is a real experience.

pistole said:
- I just can't stand drinking the water/grit thrown off the rear wheel of the bike in front of the line. Drives me nuts , when I think about it ...QUOTE]

Suggestion: Don't ride in a line when it rains.;)