Pre-race food for Kid Tri

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Nomen Nescio, May 15, 2003.

  1. Nomen Nescio

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    The pre-race food is not for me (give me some pizza and ice creams please), but for my son, age 9,
    who will participate in the ever growing number of kid triathlons this summer.

    Most of these events are 100 to 200 yd swim, 3 to 5 mile bike, .5 to 1 mile run. They are over very
    quickly. The problem is most begin at 7 am. Kids wake up hungry. Any ideas what he should or should
    not eat, and how early before the race he can chow down and not end up sick or with a side stitch?

    Thx. N.M.

    Tags:

  2. Vincent Chan

    Vincent Chan Guest

    "Nomen Nescio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > The pre-race food is not for me (give me some pizza and ice creams
    please),
    > but for my son, age 9, who will participate in the ever growing number of kid triathlons
    > this summer.

    Glad to hear he's already doing tris as a season sport!

    > The problem is most begin at 7 am. Kids wake up hungry. Any ideas what he should or should not
    > eat, and how early before the race he can chow down and not end up sick or with a side
    stitch?

    Usually, I have a small bowl of cereal-- a single serving's worth or less-- with skim milk before I
    leave for the race. (I usually leave for races three hours before the scheduled start.) On the way,
    if I'm hungry, I might have a slice of bread. An hour before the race starts, before I warm up, I
    have half a banana and half a Powerbar. Usually, this will calm my hunger until post-race, and I
    haven't had a problem with it thus far.

    I'm 16, if that helps at all. Of course, as with all things, YMMV.

    --Vincent