Pre-race jitters

CalicoCat

Jan 10, 2010
Oh, I know that we all get them. That being said, I find myself sitting here at the computer for the last three hours reading forums and other cycling related "nonesense" on the internet the night before a big race when I should be packing my bag, prepping my bike, and sleeping. You see, I ALWAYS get pre-race jitters, some days they are worse than others. 2 weeks ago, I was so nervous that I couldn't sleep the whole night before the race! So I got to the start line nervous and already exhausted. Yeah, not good. So, while this post is, to some extent, a way to continue my nervous procrastination, it is also an opportunity to start a thread on what everyone does to overcome pre-race jitters.

I'm not a nervous person by nature, but I have at times been excited from anticipation such that I find it hard to get to sleep the night before a major event.
On a number of occasions I've taken a sleeping pill that night to ensure a decent sleep, which for me is very important.

Regarding nervousness, I do have some advice - trust in and be confident that your training has prepared you for the task at hand and visualize a successful outcome, whatever that may be. Set realistic goals such that they're attainable and you won't feel like a failure if you don't make them.

Nervousness, IMO and experience, stems from a fear of something - usually failure and/or loss when involved in a sporting event. Again, trust that you've trained well for this event and that the outcome will be positive regardless of actual placing. Remember you'll have many more opportunities for competition and that this upcoming event is not your last...

CalicoCat said:
Oh, I know that we all get them. That being said, I find myself sitting here at the computer for the last three hours reading forums and other cycling related "nonesense" on the internet the night before a big race when I should be packing my bag, prepping my bike, and sleeping. You see, I ALWAYS get pre-race jitters, some days they are worse than others. 2 weeks ago, I was so nervous that I couldn't sleep the whole night before the race! So I got to the start line nervous and already exhausted. Yeah, not good. So, while this post is, to some extent, a way to continue my nervous procrastination, it is also an opportunity to start a thread on what everyone does to overcome pre-race jitters.

There were a few lads that we raced with that used to suffer big time from nerves the day before an event they had pegged as important for the year. We used to go out of a group ride and smash the snot out of one guy that really suffered bad - we'd end up back at the coaches house for tea 'n biscuits and carb drink and all was right with his world. He'd be really tired to the point that he'd need to take a pre race ride the morning after to losen off the legs.

While it's not the best prep - the net result was better than being up all night, getting no sleep and sometimes puking.

Me? I just loved racing. It was fun, especially with the faster lads. It was always a chance to learn something new - how the good riders differed from regular 1st cats like myself. The only time that I had real pre race doubts was before a national hill climb champs. I'd changed my frame just over a month earlier and despite doing well in regional events, we discovered that the altered frame geometry wasn't as advertised and the changes that we thought would be better were worse. I was gonna ride it on my training bike (a dirt cheap peugeot Robert Millar) but I had cracked the seat tube the day before. So I was up a creek without a paddle... I stressed over that one big time - especially as the guy a minute behind me had ridden internationally and it was a 12 minute hill.

CalicoCat said:

Ah the Tour of Elk Grove is tomorrow. I will be watching from my buddies front yard. Just try and relax, no point in getting all worked up over it. Just remember it's riding your bike, something that you love to do.

Have you considered masturbation? That helps everyone relax, doesn't it?

Ask yourself ONE question and concentrate on that. For me, it's 'I wonder how many starters there will be?. Its a question I can only answer on the line and it takes away all the nerves pre start.

swampy1970 said:
Well, your sig says do or not do...

... And if it helps with the nerves

;)

Leave it to you to make things so clear:rolleyes:...
If it helps with YOUR nerves, good on you...I'd rather people keep their autoerotic habits to themselves...furthermore, I'll take my woman over my hand anyday and everyday...;)

Have you ever considered using a visualization technique? Many athletes from various levels of success use it. I majored in Kinesiolgy, the study of body mechanics and motion. Included in the major was a sport psychology class and even a class on stress management. With the visualization, it means exactly what it says. The night before the race, you close your eyes and visualize yourself sitting in the saddle, rolling at a smooth 22 mph as you approach the turn. The pack starts to tighten so you flutter your brakes if necessary. Your outer pedal drops, your weight shifts to your outer hand on the bars. Your breath is rapid, but smooth; controlled breaths. You pivot into the turn and feel the frame of your bike tilt just perfectly as you hold a tight line on the wheel in front of you. Your balance in perfect. As you start pulling out of the turn, you engage hard on the pedals feeling the pressure under your feet as you accelerate. A gap opens before you, not a large one, but your bike is traveling slightly faster than the pack as you conserved forward motion from that perfectly executed turn. So you take your chance and edge into it, holding a tight line and picking up a new wheel.

As you can see, a lot of words goes into a very small description. And that barely touched upon the sensations you feel in your visualization, the saddle under your bum, the vibration of your frame, the grip you hold on the drops, the posture in your back and neck, even that proprioceptive feeling of other riders surrounding you.

Visualization is a form of meditation used by many athletes. How do you imagine a basketball player prepares to hit a free-throw with all the noise and visual disturbances around him. It's all about focus. By preparing the night before, you will actually stress your muscles slightly if you can translate the feelings you associate with riding.

It's not for everybody, and it takes practice to perfect. It's a little better if you have some help from a coach giving verbal cues. Anyhow, it's another practice to consider.

Good Luck!