Pre-Race meal

lbraasch

Jul 24, 2007
I have my first tri coming up this sunday, and I'm curious what everyone eats for their pre-race meal, both night before, and morning of. The tri is only a sprint length (1/2 mile swim, 9 mile bike, 2 mile run), so I will not be refueling during the race, however, I would hate to feel like I'm running out of gas halfway through the run.

I am assuming lay off the heavy meats and stack on the pasta the night before. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I just did an Ironman 70.3 (1/2IM) this past Sunday and cut 18 minutes off last year's time which is not too bad for my age since I have previously been getting slower each year. I was also almost 1 mph faster than last year for 56 miles. I ate Chicken Cacciattore with pasta for the 2nd night before and less carbs for the 3rd night before. The night before I just had a healthy fish dinner at a restaurant up near the race with a baked potato and a salad. The morning of the race I just had a large bowl of whole grain cereal, like I normally eat, and a banana. I ate 2 bars in 56 miles and some gels on the 13.1 mi run. I am a fairly small and lean female though and do not know how big you are, so you may have to adjust your caloric intale accordingly. Also, bear in mind that you are doing a sprint and not a 1/2 IM. Good luck!