Pre-RR: Tumbledown Mountain

Technician

Guest
well, got my rear wheel all fixed, and managed to swap the cassette lockring remover for a freewheel
tool in the process.

Today feels like a great day for a ride, so i plan to see if i can find tumbledown mountain. it is
listed as an "Extreme" trail on mtbr.com, so it should be fun. i don't plan to make it to the top,
but anything can happen. plan to bring the camera, and a snack or two as from what the map shows, it
looks like a steady climb to the top.

From what i figure, i will climb till i drop. rest for a while, then it is all downhill to the
trailhead so it is kind of a win-win situation. if i make it to the top, great, if not, i'm sure it
will be worth trying. i'm sure it will be a good religious experience, what with praying to the bike
gods and all.

On the DeLorme maine atlas i have, it looks like a 4 mile trail.

Should be fun, providing i find the right trail, as the wrong one looks like a deadly climb.

Never been there before, so of course i will bring the phone as usual.

Will post a true RR when i return, assuming i still have the energy to type.
--
~Travis

> On the DeLorme maine atlas i have, it looks like a 4 mile trail.
>
> Should be fun, providing i find the right trail, as the wrong one looks like a deadly climb.

Grasshopper, we'll talk when you've round-tripped Porcupine Rim from Moab,

Arne (4,434 miles in '03 and counting)

> > On the DeLorme maine atlas i have, it looks like a 4 mile trail.
> >
> > Should be fun, providing i find the right trail, as the wrong one looks like a deadly climb.
> >
> Grasshopper, we'll talk when you've round-tripped Porcupine Rim from Moab,
>
> Arne (4,434 miles in '03 and counting)

your comparing a proportionately flat trail to a steep and rocky mountain climb???

And trust me, if i had means to get to Moab, i would be there as soon as possible. but as it stands,
plane tickets ain't free, and i really don't trust my car to go that far. if i made it past NH i
would be very surprised (chain guides for timing chain are worn so the chain is eating its way
through the chain cover, or the cover is eating the chain).
--
~Travis

> > > On the DeLorme maine atlas i have, it looks like a 4 mile trail.
> > >
> > > Should be fun, providing i find the right trail, as the wrong one
looks
> > > like a deadly climb.
> > >
> > Grasshopper, we'll talk when you've round-tripped Porcupine Rim from
Moab,

> > Arne (4,434 miles in '03 and counting)
> >

> your comparing a proportionately flat trail to a steep and rocky mountain climb???

I think he was saying your mountain climb is relativley small compared to other things like
Porcupine Rim.. Reading a little more into it, the implication may be that it will one day not seem
so "deadly". Oh, and P. Rim is not particularly flat.

Mileage-wise, I think looping P. Rim from Moab is something like 35 Miles and at least a couple
thousand vertical feet (a guestimate - haven't been to Moab in a few years and I'm too lazy to
look it up).

Matt

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:fi6Ba.1033$n% <snip>
> But unless there is a single track trail I am not aware of, the majority
of
> the climbing is on a dirt road, not what I would call technical. Sure, you do travel past the most
> scenic land fill in the country.

True. A lovely landfill it is too.

> Oh and while we are at it, how about the round trip over Kennebec pass, somewhere around 8,000 ft
> of combined climbing, starting elevation is
6,500
> ft, about 55 miles. And most of the climbing is on rough 4wd road or
single
> track. ... next.

Sounds good. I like Agate Creek as a loop. Ride Old Monarch pass up, cross the top of the "new"
Monarch pass and do the Crest ridge. Then drop down the West side (one of the better continous DH
drops ever) on the Agate Creek trail. As a loop it's something like 34 Miles and 4300 Ft.. Not quite
the stats you have there. You'd have to figure-8 Crest/Agate. I haven't done this yet, but it makes
it somehting like 60 Miles and 9000 Ft. Ouch!

Matt