Predict your Argus 2002 finishing time

G

Hey, Pothole is back from my own cycling holliday. Gave the wife and kid the motorcar and off they went to the in-laws. ;D lekker.
What about predicting you argus time. This will motivates you when it start getting tough. Think about your target and force you to keep going.

I'll be happy with ANYTHING under 3hr30!

Hopefully I can reach this time, but it's going to be tough!

2 hours for me, thanks :eek: he he

Bet all your eyes popped out! ;)

Same as Ouzo, I'll also be trying for a Sub 4.

So will it be all ;D
or will it be all :'(

Watch this space for more!

Judging by your 94.7 times, you guys will cruise a sub4 Argus.

Judging by your 94.7 times, you guys will cruise a sub4 Argus.
Vo2, just remember that we had the wind behind us up the steep climbs in the 94.7 . IMHO this is why most of the times are so much better.

Just being realistic about my Argus time. Dont want to set to high a goal.

Cant agree, set yourself a stiff target and do everything to get it. To slow a target will play on your mind when things get tough. I'm in-line for a 3hour Argus, and will post my time the monday after the race.

Is there anyone here who've done the Cape Cobra over the weekend?
That was one hell of a tough race!!!! All the Gauties who claim that the 94.7 is the toughest should reconsider. The race was 100 km and was raced over much the same terrain as the argus, but the elite finishing time was 2:44...rather slower than the argus despite being shorter km wise. If I remember right the total climbing height was approx. 980 m.

I did it in 3:38...despite being rather far from form...so I reckon a sub 3:30 argus is up for the cards...would be a nice change from last year when I did a 4:27

If the weather plays along and there's no wind, I am going to try my utmost best for a 3:15.

Is there anyone here who've done the Cape Cobra over the weekend?
That was one hell of a tough race!!!! All the Gauties who claim that the 94.7 is the toughest should reconsider. The race was 100 km and was raced over much the same terrain as the argus, but the elite finishing time was 2:44...rather slower than the argus despite being shorter km wise. If I remember right the total climbing height was approx. 980 m.

The 94.7 is referred to as the toughest race in Jo'burg. There are tougher races than the 94.7. The Tour d'Lesotho comes to mind.

If its only 95km isnt 3-4 hours is quite slow for a race, am i missing somehting here?

*wonders if theres a 30km climb at the end?*

cheers!

It's a toughie. Very undulating. You battle to pick up speed if your group drops you.

route_profile.gif

Yes, I recon that the time you did on the Cape Cobra will be a good indication of what you can expect in the Argus. The Cape Cobra is a shorter but harder race. The cape cobra was full of hills. Much more than what is waiting in the Argus, and that includes the last 20km around town.

::) My first Argus I did in 3:57, that the last one via Suikerbossie. The first detour I did in 4:16. 2001 I did the detour in 3:46 so hopefully this year I can time off some more time and get close to the 3 hours.
Also the first three year I did it with a mountain bike and this will be my first year with my racer. :p
All the best for everyone out there doing the Argus, be postive for good, fast finishing times. ;)

I hope all you guys and girls get your target times. The commments about the Cape Cobra are fair to some extent. The race this year was quite windy and that really slowed up the group I was in (a fragment of F). I did a 3:13 Argus last year and my time for the CC was 3:36 this year. OK I had a flat and suffered from lots of cramp :p. Another thing to factor in is that most of us will rest up and carbo-load for the Argus which does improve performance. Very few of us would go to those lengths for a fun ride though, I think. My Argus target this year 3:10 - 3:20 depending on weather conditions and what the bunch does. I don't do break aways....

Good so hear that you are all fired up for the Argus :) Best of luck to all ;)

Just spend 9 days on honeymoon i.e. did NO cycling for 11 days :eek:

As far as the Argus goes ... I will be MORE than happy with 3:59:59 ... however, me thinks 4:15 might be more realistic.

What do you people think I should aim for with a time of 4:01 for the 94.7 and 3:21 for the H2H ?

Don't worry Jaco, 9 days on honeymoon is like 9 days of intensive training! ;D

That must be why 60km yesterday morning felt like a piece ... oops, wrong choice of words ... mmm ... I mean wasn't difficult :)

As far as the Argus goes ... I will be MORE than happy with 3:59:59 ... however, me thinks 4:15 might be more realistic.

What do you people think I should aim for with a time of 4:01 for the 94.7 and 3:21 for the H2H ?

Well, the Argus is about 15km further than the 94.7. A 27 kph average will get you near the 4 hr mark, but if you catch a nice fast moving bunch and stick with them, you could well dip below 4 hrs. My advice is save some energy for the last 20 km. It's harder than you think.

Calculate your target splits for the Argus here

Thanks for the advice V02, really appreciate it. Used the split calculator and it's quite cool 8)

4 hrs might be tough (taken into acocunt that I still weigh 115kg!!) but thats what I'll aim for.

Did some hills this morning in prep for the 10th ...