predictions for '03 and beyond

W.A. Manning

Guest
cipollini will the arc en ciel proud and win a classic of some sort, possibly a repeat on
the via roma.

boonen will show well in roubaix, but will flame out after this season and never be a factor in a
classic again (like that big guy that used to ride for CA).

armstrong will win #5. big suprise there.

walter

"w.a. manning" wrote:

> boonen will show well in roubaix, but will flame out after this season and never be a factor in a
> classic again

why do you think that? (just curious)

heather

[email protected] (w.a. manning) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> cipollini will the arc en ciel proud and win a classic of some sort, possibly a repeat on the
> via roma.
>
> boonen will show well in roubaix, but will flame out after this season and never be a factor in a
> classic again (like that big guy that used to ride for CA).
>
> armstrong will win #5. big suprise there.
>
> walter

"Lance" bicycles, a subsidary of Trek, will debut in 2005 and immediately cause a huge inter-company
battle with "Lemond" brand. The "Lance" brand will ultimately win this battle, outselling "Lemond"
by a large margin, and relegating the "Lemond" brand to hybrids and women-specific designs.

Lemond will claim long after that his brand could have won, but the bigwigs at Trek
wouldn't let him.

-zel

[email protected] (w.a. manning) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> cipollini will the arc en ciel proud and win a classic of some sort, possibly a repeat on the
> via roma.
>
> boonen will show well in roubaix, but will flame out after this season and never be a factor in a
> classic again (like that big guy that used to ride for CA).
>
> armstrong will win #5. big suprise there.
>
> walter

I predict that Boonen WILL NOT do well in the Roubaix. Last year he was at the Sea Otter in
California 2 weeks prior any raced very anonymously against an American field. Then in 2 weeks he
has the form for one of the toughest races in the world?

gopher wrote:
> <James Earl Jones voiceover bellows: "Who cares!"?>
>
> kerrrrrrrPlonk!
>
> </James Earl Jones voiceover bellows: "Who cares!">

What, you just killfiled Chung? That is not a smart move. BTW, your geeky xml emotion tags don't
match. And another thing: if you want to fit in with the Who Cares crowd, don't use killfiles.

"HEATHER HALVORSON!!!!!" wrote

> Robert Chung wrote:
> >
> > do either of you have a shift key on your keyboards?
> >
> > --robert
>
> Yes, I have a Shift Key, but I do NOT like using it.
>
> why are you so interested in the size of my letters, robert?

What, are you worried that I'm casing you out?

Back on topic, I'm still sorta interested in why w.a. manning thinks Boonen is going to flame out.

HEATHER HALVORSON!!!!! wrote:

> Robert Chung wrote:
> >
> > do either of you have a shift key on your keyboards?
> >
> > --robert
>
> Yes, I have a Shift Key, but I do NOT like using it.
>
> why are you so interested in the size of my letters, robert?

Isn't size everything?

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "HEATHER HALVORSON!!!!!" wrote
> >
> > Robert Chung wrote:
> > >
> > > do either of you have a shift key on your keyboards?
> > >
> > > --robert
> >
> > Yes, I have a Shift Key, but I do NOT like using it.
> >
> > why are you so interested in the size of my letters, robert?
>
> What, are you worried that I'm casing you out?
>
> Back on topic, I'm still sorta interested in why w.a. manning thinks
Boonen
> is going to flame out.

There are a number of thoughts that come to mind. 1) Boonen is naturally talented and like all
naturally talented people the tendancy is to slack off on the training because he can win without
trying. Since the Belgians are such fanatical fans they just build the egos of star riders up almost
as much as the Italians (of course neither get anywhere near that of an American football
quarterback.) It takes a tremendous amount of character to withstand that sort of adulation and not
become completely self absorbed as VDB seems to have become. While Museeuw hasn't gotten too far
into left field he too has suffered from the spotlight with his "I'm retiring" every other week. So
it is probable that Boonen is going to have the same problems and as you seen him behaving with
Postal it's clear that unless he catches himself pretty quick he's going to go the same way VDB did.
2) Since the majority of children born in Belgium these days are of Arab extraction, all of the
Belgian businesses are going to pull their money out of bicycle racing and put it into camel racing.

Thats great analysis Tom, I'd just add that Boonen is already in the hands of the same management as
VDB which further underscores your argument. The USPS-escape is only a prelude of things to come.

in article [email protected], HEATHER HALVORSON!!!!! at [email protected]
wrote on 01/05/2003 12:42 PM:

> Robert Chung wrote:
>>
>> do either of you have a shift key on your keyboards?
>>
>> --robert
>
> Yes, I have a Shift Key, but I do NOT like using it.
>
> why are you so interested in the size of my letters, robert?

Because he can't see your ... 'assets' ...

dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash