Predictions for La Mongie?

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by 1x1, Jul 14, 2004.

1. tighttop

tighttop New Member

So Basso eh? Nobody even mentioned him!!!

LA did well & is better than last year, but he is not at the levels of 2000/2001 at all - he would have dropped Basso in previous years but not today. Also, i think he would have wanted the stage win but he was clearly on his limit and could attack Basso in the final kilom. I'm predicting that LA will get dropped on a mountain stage before the tour is over.

Ullrich/Hamilton/Mayo/Heras/Simioni were all disappointing - i'm sure Ullrich will fight back. Last year Ullrich suffered on L'Alp D'Huez but seem to get stronger after that. However, he is now over 3 mins behind LA now - i just can't see him making that time gap up (2nd again)?

Tomorrow's stage should be very interesting

2. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

Its over.... I feel very sad and depressed at the moment. I couldn't understand it, it made no sense. I thought ullrich was better than ever. Now Kloden will be the leader and ullrich's career is over. After all these years, 7 years, I have wanted him to win the tour again, I thought I could get some luck for once, but no, god says it was never to be I suppose. I feel like crying right now...

3. musette

musette New Member

I feel sad for JU too.

This is very sad for JU. He's still below LA's domestiques now in the GC -- Azevedo is at 11, and Chechu is one spot about JU. :( But Hamilton did even worse.)

Top 20 General Classification:
    1 VOECKLER Thomas FRA BLB in 51h 51' 07"
    2 ARMSTRONG Lance USA USP at 05' 24"
    3 CASAR Sandy FRA FDJ at 05' 50"
    4 VIRENQUE Richard FRA QSD at 06' 20"
    5 KLÖDEN Andréas GER TMO at 06' 33"
    6 BASSO Ivan ITA CSC at 06' 33"
    7 MANCEBO Francisco ESP IBB at 06' 43"
    8 PIIL Jakob DEN CSC at 06' 53"
    9 GONZALEZ Santos ESP PHO at 07' 23"
    10 SASTRE Carlos ESP CSC at 08' 11"
    11 AZEVEDO José POR USP at 08' 35"
    12 LEIPHEIMER Levi USA RAB at 08' 50"
    13 GUTIERREZ José Enrique ESP PHO at 08' 51"
    14 SEVILLA Oscar ESP PHO at 08' 57"
    15 RUBIERA José Luis ESP USP at 08' 58"
    16 ULLRICH Jan GER TMO at 09' 01"
    17 JULICH Bobby USA CSC at 09' 11"
    18 SCARPONI Michele ITA DVE at 09' 25"
    19 GONZALEZ GALDEANO Igor ESP LST at 09' 42"
    20 HAMILTON Tyler USA PHO at 09' 46"

And why did WGodefroot (sic) not ask Kloden to go and help JU? It's crazy why Kloden was off on his own like that. Was T-Mobile trying to get "insurance" against JU not beating LA?

4. musette

musette New Member

Not a good thing -- cracking before Hincapie on the mountains (JU), although Hincapie is somewhat stronger in that terrain this year.

5. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

Probably. I don't think wg believes in him anymore. I'm starting not to believe in him anymore. I've gone through a range of emotions since ullrich dropped, now I'am even angry at him, for making me believe in him. Close to 4 minutes in near impossible to get, there's no way he can win now. Just accept it. Please prove me wrong Jan. That wasn't the real jan ullrich I saw today, we've never seen the real Jan ullrich since 97.

6. i2ambler

i2ambler New Member

This is only one stage in the mountains.. There are so many to come. 5 or even 10 minutes will not be hard to make up for any of the top contenders. Dont count JU out yet. Lance looks alot better than he did last year, and I dont think he was really going for the stage win. He was going for putting distance between him and his rivals. I do not think that Armstrong recieving second behind Basso is a sign of weakness in him, I think it is a sign of strength of Basso.

Lets see what happens tomorrow as it unfolds. If armstrong stays as strong as he did today, he will be very very difficult to beat in the end.

How about USPS? Wow they looked great. I am only dissapointed in Beltran. Did anyone else notice, but he looks FAT.

7. birdman23

birdman23 New Member

I wonder if LA just held back a little today, seeing as how tomorrow will be absolutely torturous. I guess we will see tomorrow!

POSTAL RULES!

8. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

Are you serious, don't try to make me feel better, I might as well die, nothing matters anymore.

9. birdman23

birdman23 New Member

Wow you really are a JU fan. Did you by chance place a LARGE bet on JU this year?

10. musette

musette New Member

I'm a JU fan too, although I know sometimes my posts don't highlight that (since I am also an LA fan). But I am disappointed that JU lost so much time. T-Mobile has to commit to JU and should have asked Kloden to wait for JU and help pace JU to the front.

11. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

Yes, a very bad day for Tyler, Jan, and Roberto.

But a very good day for Lance and probably the best day yet for Ivan Basso. He looked very strong coming across the line and he surely has made a statement few will miss.

I'm a Lance fan and so I was very excited to see Lance's trademark stoic look as he turned a quick cadence up the mountains. There can be no doubt that he is in fine, fine form.

Everyone will talk about Postal's team today. There were surely impressive. But CSC had a very good day, too, finishing 1st and 5th and with Julich at 18th. Illes Balears also put three in the top 20.

For those that are curious, here's a rundown of the ages of the top 20. Santo Gonzalez and Karpets are both 23 and the yougnsters of the pack and Guerini, at 34, is the grandpa.

1 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC - 26
    2 Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal p/b Berry Floor - 32
    3 Andreas Klöden (Ger) T-Mobile Team - 29
    4 Francisco Mancebo Pérez (Spa) Illes Balears - Banesto - 28
    5 Carlos Sastre (Spa) Team CSC - 29
    6 Oscar Pereiro (Spa) Phonak Hearing Systems - 27
    7 Denis Menchov (Rus) Illes Balears - Banesto - 26
    8 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Domina Vacanze
    9 Iban Mayo (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi - 26
    10 Santos Gonzalez (Spa) Phonak Hearing Systems - 23
    11 Georg Totschnig (Aut) Gerolsteiner - 33
    12 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Saeco - 32 (?)
    13 Aitor Gonzalez Jimenez (Spa) Fassa Bortolo - 29
    14 Christophe Moreau (Fra) Crédit Agricole - 33
    15 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Illes Balears - Banesto - 23
    16 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Rabobank - 30
    17 Pietro Caucchioli (Ita) Alessio-Bianchi - 28
    18 Bobby Julich (USA) Team CSC - 32
    19 Giuseppe Guerini (Ita) T-Mobile Team - 34
    20 Jan Ullrich (Ger) T-Mobile Team - 30

Big day tomorrow. Let the fun continue!

12. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

I agree, but I do think that if LA grabbed the stage win, it would have been that much more psychologically powerful. The headlines would have been very hard for JU/RH/TH, etc. to handle. I would have liked to see it.

All the same, I am very excited about Basso. A great win for a future (and hey, maybe even this year) contender. Wonderful day for the Italian fans.

13. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

I'm not into bets, the tour de france is like the mecca, he lost the battle, I lost my faith, our relationship goes back 7 years even though I don't know him. This is something deep for me, he was always my idol.

14. birdman23

birdman23 New Member

I think we are all fans of JU and it is disappointing to see him struggle the way he did today.

You hit the nail on the head about T-Mobile not committing to JU. They left Cadel Evans at home (who would have helped tremendously today!) and brought Santiago Botero? What are they thinking?

15. musette

musette New Member

JU: "I have a good team and we are not giving up.'' I agree JU shouldn't give up, but the team?! He has his loyal aide Guerini, that's for sure.

But LA has, in order of increasing strength in the mountains I think based on current form: Hincapie, Noval, Beltran, Landis, Chechu, Azevedo and hmself. He has 7/9 of his team helping him today for meaningful periods.

Noval can continue to do well on the mountains, and redeem himself a bit with respect to his disappointment in the TTT.

16. David_Zen

David_Zen New Member

I predict that Lance will increase his lead even more in stage 13 and might even win that stage. Hell, we might even see him in Yellow on Sunday!

17. davidbod

davidbod New Member

Anyone thinking LA was at his rope at the line today is kidding themselves. He did not contest the win and was conserving himself for tomorrow's even harder stage. I was all smiles when I saw it was raining on the cols as LA would love this and others would dread it.

It is sad to see that JU may be at the end of his career now, allthough everyone including Lance can have a bad day. It was not just JU who lost major time today. Its almost as if we are seeing a changing of the guards, but with LA still at the top and just the seconds on down changing.

This will have a huge psychological impact on JU and TH and the race for them is surely over unless Lance has a misshap. We will see how everyone recovers physically and mentally for tomorrow's stage. Tomorrow will be the real test to see who can come back from today's disaster and whether Lance and Basso can be as impressive as they were today.

I think you have to tip your hat to Voekler and his team as they survived another day in yellow. It will be interesting to see how he and his team recover for tomorrow as well.

18. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

Oh woopeee, lance is going to win, I'am so happy that the tour is over for ullrich now. (sarcasm)

19. keydates

keydates New Member

The problem with Ullrich is that he (and most everybody else) can't ride in the mountains as well as Lance, whether that be a result of training, genetics, or, drugs (I doubt that Lance dopes, but there is always a possibility). Those that do, ie Mayo, cannot ITT. There are 8 stages left, so it isn't over yet, but Lance's win is a major blow to his rivals (except for maybe Basso).

20. musette

musette New Member

This is sad. Reuters reports JU as saying:

"'Kloeden is riding well and could be a joker for the team,' the German said....
    'If I realise I can't win, I'm ready to sacrifice my chances for the best rider in the team,' said the T-Mobile team leader, who looked Armstrong's main rival at the start of the gruelling race having finishing runner-up in the Tour five times."

JU should be demanding that everybody, Kloden included, continue to help him. Kloden has shown himself to be an unworthy aide to Jan. Kloden must have heard that Jan was in trouble. What does Kloden do? Try to finish well himself. With that kind of teammate, who needs rivals?