Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Prefer bar ends over bar - reach or angle?

Started by dabac · · Last activity · 1 post · 397 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
5 November 2007
Last activity
5 November 2007
Original author
dabac
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
397
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi guys,

    I've discovered that whenever I hit a flat stretch on my MTB I much prefer riding with my hands on the bar ends rather than on the bar itself, but I can't determine whether this is mainly because of change in orientation or mainly because of change in reach.
    Not having a longer stem available for experimental purposes I wonder if someone in this illustrious group has any insights and/or experiences to offer, is my preference for the bar end position actually a sign that I should be looking for a longer stem, or (perish the thought!) a bigger frame, should I maybe scoot my saddle back, or should I simply accept this as part of my riding style and habits?

    The change in position isn't that big, best as I can tell an imaginary center line through the wrist moves about 2 inches forward when I'm on the ends as compared to the bar.

    Why am I asking? I'm trying to determine where to put the bar on what's going to be my winter commuter bike. Maybe if I get the bar positioned just right I won't have to bother about nasty, bare-metal bar ends on the winter bike at all...

    For the intended usage the advantage of different hand positions isn't a high priority.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.