Preferences in Scrambling eggs???

Mr Libido Incognito

Guest
I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...I butter
my non-stick fry pan, wisk the eggs with a little frank's hot sauce and
some fresh ground Black pepper. I add the eggs when the butter starts to
bubble and get noisy. I stir them around constantly with a silicon
Spatchula, and just before they're set I add optional stuff like shredded
cheese, or herbs etc. And then directly onto a plate...the finish setting
up on the way to the table.

I tried doing them in a double boiler but I find that takes more clean up
than I'd like...

How do you make your's?

--
-Alan

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...

<snip>

> How do you make your's?

So they nauseate others, I'm afraid - I like them very, very, runny -
with soft curds. I melt butter in a pan over a low heat, add the beaten
eggs (with a drop of Kikkoman's soy sauce for flavour) and stir
incessantly until they're at the stage I like them - still almost
liquid. Never found anyone else who likes them this way!

Jo (and before anyone asks, no I don't worry about salmonella!)

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

> I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...I butter
> my non-stick fry pan, wisk the eggs with a little frank's hot sauce and
> some fresh ground Black pepper. I add the eggs when the butter starts to
> bubble and get noisy. I stir them around constantly with a silicon
> Spatchula, and just before they're set I add optional stuff like shredded
> cheese, or herbs etc. And then directly onto a plate...the finish setting
> up on the way to the table.

Similar to yours but without cheese or herbs. I like them cooked slowly and
only until slightly runny.

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...I butter
> my non-stick fry pan, wisk the eggs with a little frank's hot sauce and
> some fresh ground Black pepper. I add the eggs when the butter starts to
> bubble and get noisy. I stir them around constantly with a silicon
> Spatchula, and just before they're set I add optional stuff like shredded
> cheese, or herbs etc. And then directly onto a plate...the finish setting
> up on the way to the table.
>
> I tried doing them in a double boiler but I find that takes more clean up
> than I'd like...
>
> How do you make your's?
>
> --
> -Alan

Oh yeah, with fresh grounded black pepper. Also I like it with salt.
Sometimes add single cream in the mix. non-stick pan for me as well.
Probably have it with toast.

dee wrote on 16 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Sometimes add single cream in the mix.

I seem never to have cream in the house...except when I'm baking.

--
-Alan

"Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...I butter
> my non-stick fry pan, wisk the eggs with a little frank's hot sauce and
> some fresh ground Black pepper. I add the eggs when the butter starts to
> bubble and get noisy. I stir them around constantly with a silicon
> Spatchula, and just before they're set I add optional stuff like shredded
> cheese, or herbs etc. And then directly onto a plate...the finish setting
> up on the way to the table.
>
> I tried doing them in a double boiler but I find that takes more clean up
> than I'd like...
>
> How do you make your's?

I tend to like "purist" scrambled eggs. I start with local free range eggs
if possible and beat them with a fork, adding about 1/2 TB heavy cream and a
big pinch of salt. I melt 1/2 TB bitter in a 6" nonstick pan over low heat
(1 notch up from lowest). Add the eggs and stir now and then until almost
done. A grinding of white pepper, a final stir, and onto the plate. You must
take them out just before they are done because they continue cooking a bit.

DON'T add water, and DON'T overcook!

--
Peter Aitken

"Henhouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
>> I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...

> <snip>
>>
>> How do you make your's?
>>

> So they nauseate others, I'm afraid - I like them very, very, runny - with
> soft curds. I melt butter in a pan over a low heat, add the beaten eggs
> (with a drop of Kikkoman's soy sauce for flavour) and stir incessantly
> until they're at the stage I like them - still almost liquid. Never found
> anyone else who likes them this way!
>
> Jo (and before anyone asks, no I don't worry about salmonella!)

You found one now - me! And Julia Child, and Jacques Pepin, etc. etc. This
is the true best way to make scrambled eggs, soft, moist, and creamy.

--
Peter Aitken

Henhouse <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
news:[email protected]:

> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
>> I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...

> <snip>
>>
>> How do you make your's?
>>

> So they nauseate others, I'm afraid - I like them very, very, runny -
> with soft curds. I melt butter in a pan over a low heat, add the beaten
> eggs (with a drop of Kikkoman's soy sauce for flavour) and stir
> incessantly until they're at the stage I like them - still almost
> liquid. Never found anyone else who likes them this way!
>
> Jo (and before anyone asks, no I don't worry about salmonella!)

I like mine with lots of cheese, onions and mushroom. I whip the eggs,
sometimes with milk and add the other ingredients. Scramble them up and
they're done.

Michael

--
"The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

--Calvin Trillin

"dee" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
news:[email protected]:

> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
>> I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...I
>> butter my non-stick fry pan, wisk the eggs with a little frank's hot
>> sauce and some fresh ground Black pepper. I add the eggs when the
>> butter starts to bubble and get noisy. I stir them around constantly
>> with a silicon Spatchula, and just before they're set I add optional
>> stuff like shredded cheese, or herbs etc. And then directly onto a
>> plate...the finish setting up on the way to the table.
>>
>> I tried doing them in a double boiler but I find that takes more
>> clean up than I'd like...
>>
>> How do you make your's?
>>
>> --
>> -Alan

> Oh yeah, with fresh grounded black pepper. Also I like it with salt.
> Sometimes add single cream in the mix. non-stick pan for me as well.
> Probably have it with toast.

NON stick pan is always good.

Michael

--
"The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
found."

--Calvin Trillin

Peter Aitken wrote on 16 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> > How do you make your's?
> >

> I tend to like "purist" scrambled eggs. I start with local free range
> eggs if possible and beat them with a fork, adding about 1/2 TB heavy
> cream and a big pinch of salt. I melt 1/2 TB bitter in a 6" nonstick
> pan over low heat (1 notch up from lowest). Add the eggs and stir now
> and then until almost done. A grinding of white pepper, a final stir,
> and onto the plate. You must take them out just before they are done
> because they continue cooking a bit.
>
> DON'T add water, and DON'T overcook!

So you like a larger curd than I...More stirring equals smaller curd.
What is this facination with cream (2 posters so far use it)?

I read somewhere that salt makes eggs more brittle, so I never salt eggs
till they're at the table. Even though this would only apply to fries
eggs.

--
-Alan

Henhouse wrote on 16 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> So they nauseate others, I'm afraid - I like them very, very, runny -
> with soft curds. I melt butter in a pan over a low heat, add the beaten
> eggs (with a drop of Kikkoman's soy sauce for flavour) and stir
> incessantly until they're at the stage I like them - still almost
> liquid. Never found anyone else who likes them this way!
>
> Jo (and before anyone asks, no I don't worry about salmonella!)

I like my scrambled eggs moist...not dry but not actually runny...They look
almost like grits when I'm eating them...Not that I actually like grits...

--
-Alan

I like Peter Aitken's ingredients and use much the same. However, I am
an iconoclast in regard to paan temperature and have found that a
rleatively hot pan makes a delicious product. I dump the mix in a
medium hot well buttered pan (whether it's no-stick or not) when the
butter just barely begins to brown. I leave things alone for about 15
seconds and then start stirring around about every 3-4 seconds, tipping
the pan so that the still liquid parts of the mixture contact hot
surface. Some might not call these legit' scarmbled eggs but rather a
kind of broken up unstuffed omelette. I call 'em delicious. As it is
morning and I have made myself hungry typing this out, off I go to cook
some!

On Thu 16 Mar 2006 08:56:57a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Peter
Aitken?

> "Henhouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
>>> I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...

>> <snip>
>>>
>>> How do you make your's?
>>>

>> So they nauseate others, I'm afraid - I like them very, very, runny -
>> with soft curds. I melt butter in a pan over a low heat, add the beaten
>> eggs (with a drop of Kikkoman's soy sauce for flavour) and stir
>> incessantly until they're at the stage I like them - still almost
>> liquid. Never found anyone else who likes them this way!
>>
>> Jo (and before anyone asks, no I don't worry about salmonella!)

> You found one now - me! And Julia Child, and Jacques Pepin, etc. etc.
> This is the true best way to make scrambled eggs, soft, moist, and
> creamy.

Me, too! I hate dry, quickly cook scrambled eggs.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

> I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...I butter
> my non-stick fry pan, wisk the eggs with a little frank's hot sauce and
> some fresh ground Black pepper. I add the eggs when the butter starts to
> bubble and get noisy. I stir them around constantly with a silicon
> Spatchula, and just before they're set I add optional stuff like shredded
> cheese, or herbs etc. And then directly onto a plate...the finish setting
> up on the way to the table.
>
> I tried doing them in a double boiler but I find that takes more clean up
> than I'd like...
>
> How do you make your's?

One of the few things I will use a non-stick fry pan for is eggs. I
prefer my sunny side up but here's how I make scrambled eggs. I use
local free range eggs if that matters. Heat pan with a little light
olive or canola oil. Whisk the eggs with cream and pour into hot pan.
I like larger lumps so don't stir as much as you do. DH doesn't like
Frank's so that is added to my eggs after plating along with fresh
ground pepper and a little salt. DH puts ketchup on his or eats them
plain. When DH makes scrambled eggs he does it the same way I do except
he adds shredded cheese, onions, and mushrooms. They are quite tasty
this way too.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 16 Mar 2006 08:56:57a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Peter
> Aitken?

<snippage>

>>You found one now - me! And Julia Child, and Jacques Pepin, etc. etc.
>>This is the true best way to make scrambled eggs, soft, moist, and
>>creamy.
>>

> Me, too! I hate dry, quickly cook scrambled eggs.

Glad to be in such good company (and MFK Fisher, come to that)! As you
two will know, softly scrambled eggs, cooked slowly, have a flavour all
of their own - must evolve during the relatively long cooking process
(compared to those who cook hot 'n fast). It's the definitive flavour of
Sunday breakfasts of my youth - Dad did his once-a-week cooking, which
was either a soufflé omelette, or scrambled eggs cooked as I like them.
He's still going strong at age 78 (79 in July), but we live in separate
countries now, so this is my way of feeling closer to him.

I don't think Dad ever learned to cook anything apart from eggs - I was
over on a visit last week, and all he cooked all the time I was there
were 4 hardboiled eggs! My mother is no longer with us, but she didn't
cook much either (and hated doing it, with predictable results), so I
learned by necessity, really!

Jo

On 2006-03-16, Peter Aitken <[email protected]> wrote:

> You found one now - me! And Julia Child, and Jacques Pepin, etc. etc.

Yep, me too. Not still runny, but like a soft custard. Takes time,
about 8-10 minutes of constant stirring. I like how it magnifies the
flavor of the yolk, like a hollandaise sauce.

nb

"Henhouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
>> I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...

> <snip>
>>
>> How do you make your's?
>>

> So they nauseate others, I'm afraid - I like them very, very, runny - with
> soft curds. I melt butter in a pan over a low heat, add the beaten eggs
> (with a drop of Kikkoman's soy sauce for flavour) and stir incessantly
> until they're at the stage I like them - still almost liquid. Never found
> anyone else who likes them this way!
>
> Jo (and before anyone asks, no I don't worry about salmonella!)

Me too, me too! And I want the poached eggs on my benedicts runny, thank
you.

Felice

Mr Libido Incognito wrote on 3/16/2006:

> I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...

<snip>

> I tried doing them in a double boiler but I find that takes more clean up
> than I'd like...

> How do you make your's?

In a double boiler cooked to soft, slightly runny curds.

In article <[email protected]>,
Mr Libido Incognito <[email protected]> wrote:

> Peter Aitken wrote on 16 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > > How do you make your's?
> > >

> > I tend to like "purist" scrambled eggs. I start with local free range
> > eggs if possible and beat them with a fork, adding about 1/2 TB heavy
> > cream and a big pinch of salt. I melt 1/2 TB bitter in a 6" nonstick
> > pan over low heat (1 notch up from lowest). Add the eggs and stir now
> > and then until almost done. A grinding of white pepper, a final stir,
> > and onto the plate. You must take them out just before they are done
> > because they continue cooking a bit.
> >
> > DON'T add water, and DON'T overcook!
> >

> So you like a larger curd than I...More stirring equals smaller curd.
> What is this facination with cream (2 posters so far use it)?
>
> I read somewhere that salt makes eggs more brittle, so I never salt eggs
> till they're at the table. Even though this would only apply to fries
> eggs.

I'm not sure how adding cream, salt and white pepper makes one a
purist, but whatever. I like plain scrambled eggs to be beaten until
they are uniformly pale yellow, and I cook them until they are finished,
no wet or runny parts for me. I will add some water, salt, pepper if
I'm making it plain. If I'm making it with cheese, I leave out the salt
and water. I also make "dirty eggs" and cook the eggs with salsa,
cheese, sometimes olives, or using other omelet type ingredients and
just mixing them up with the eggs as they cook.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Ranee Mueller <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm not sure how adding cream, salt and white pepper makes one a
> purist, but whatever. I like plain scrambled eggs to be beaten until
> they are uniformly pale yellow, and I cook them until they are finished,
> no wet or runny parts for me. I will add some water, salt, pepper if
> I'm making it plain. If I'm making it with cheese, I leave out the salt
> and water. I also make "dirty eggs" and cook the eggs with salsa,
> cheese, sometimes olives, or using other omelet type ingredients and
> just mixing them up with the eggs as they cook.

Oh, and I cook them in butter.