Preferences in Scrambling eggs???

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mr Libido Incognito, Mar 16, 2006.

  1. I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...I butter
    my non-stick fry pan, wisk the eggs with a little frank's hot sauce and
    some fresh ground Black pepper. I add the eggs when the butter starts to
    bubble and get noisy. I stir them around constantly with a silicon
    Spatchula, and just before they're set I add optional stuff like shredded
    cheese, or herbs etc. And then directly onto a plate...the finish setting
    up on the way to the table.

    I tried doing them in a double boiler but I find that takes more clean up
    than I'd like...

    How do you make your's?

    --
    -Alan

    Tags:

  2. Henhouse

    Henhouse Guest

    Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
    > I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...

    <snip>

    > How do you make your's?

    So they nauseate others, I'm afraid - I like them very, very, runny -
    with soft curds. I melt butter in a pan over a low heat, add the beaten
    eggs (with a drop of Kikkoman's soy sauce for flavour) and stir
    incessantly until they're at the stage I like them - still almost
    liquid. Never found anyone else who likes them this way!

    Jo (and before anyone asks, no I don't worry about salmonella!)

  3. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

    > I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...I butter
    > my non-stick fry pan, wisk the eggs with a little frank's hot sauce and
    > some fresh ground Black pepper. I add the eggs when the butter starts to
    > bubble and get noisy. I stir them around constantly with a silicon
    > Spatchula, and just before they're set I add optional stuff like shredded
    > cheese, or herbs etc. And then directly onto a plate...the finish setting
    > up on the way to the table.

    Similar to yours but without cheese or herbs. I like them cooked slowly and
    only until slightly runny.

  4. dee

    dee Guest

    Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
    > I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...I butter
    > my non-stick fry pan, wisk the eggs with a little frank's hot sauce and
    > some fresh ground Black pepper. I add the eggs when the butter starts to
    > bubble and get noisy. I stir them around constantly with a silicon
    > Spatchula, and just before they're set I add optional stuff like shredded
    > cheese, or herbs etc. And then directly onto a plate...the finish setting
    > up on the way to the table.
    >
    > I tried doing them in a double boiler but I find that takes more clean up
    > than I'd like...
    >
    > How do you make your's?
    >
    > --
    > -Alan

    Oh yeah, with fresh grounded black pepper. Also I like it with salt.
    Sometimes add single cream in the mix. non-stick pan for me as well.
    Probably have it with toast.

  5. dee wrote on 16 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > Sometimes add single cream in the mix.

    I seem never to have cream in the house...except when I'm baking.

    --
    -Alan

  6. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...I butter
    > my non-stick fry pan, wisk the eggs with a little frank's hot sauce and
    > some fresh ground Black pepper. I add the eggs when the butter starts to
    > bubble and get noisy. I stir them around constantly with a silicon
    > Spatchula, and just before they're set I add optional stuff like shredded
    > cheese, or herbs etc. And then directly onto a plate...the finish setting
    > up on the way to the table.
    >
    > I tried doing them in a double boiler but I find that takes more clean up
    > than I'd like...
    >
    > How do you make your's?

    I tend to like "purist" scrambled eggs. I start with local free range eggs
    if possible and beat them with a fork, adding about 1/2 TB heavy cream and a
    big pinch of salt. I melt 1/2 TB bitter in a 6" nonstick pan over low heat
    (1 notch up from lowest). Add the eggs and stir now and then until almost
    done. A grinding of white pepper, a final stir, and onto the plate. You must
    take them out just before they are done because they continue cooking a bit.

    DON'T add water, and DON'T overcook!

    --
    Peter Aitken

  7. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Henhouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
    >> I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...

    > <snip>
    >>
    >> How do you make your's?
    >>

    > So they nauseate others, I'm afraid - I like them very, very, runny - with
    > soft curds. I melt butter in a pan over a low heat, add the beaten eggs
    > (with a drop of Kikkoman's soy sauce for flavour) and stir incessantly
    > until they're at the stage I like them - still almost liquid. Never found
    > anyone else who likes them this way!
    >
    > Jo (and before anyone asks, no I don't worry about salmonella!)

    You found one now - me! And Julia Child, and Jacques Pepin, etc. etc. This
    is the true best way to make scrambled eggs, soft, moist, and creamy.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  8. Henhouse <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
    >> I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...

    > <snip>
    >>
    >> How do you make your's?
    >>

    > So they nauseate others, I'm afraid - I like them very, very, runny -
    > with soft curds. I melt butter in a pan over a low heat, add the beaten
    > eggs (with a drop of Kikkoman's soy sauce for flavour) and stir
    > incessantly until they're at the stage I like them - still almost
    > liquid. Never found anyone else who likes them this way!
    >
    > Jo (and before anyone asks, no I don't worry about salmonella!)

    I like mine with lots of cheese, onions and mushroom. I whip the eggs,
    sometimes with milk and add the other ingredients. Scramble them up and
    they're done.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

    --Calvin Trillin

  9. "dee" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
    >> I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...I
    >> butter my non-stick fry pan, wisk the eggs with a little frank's hot
    >> sauce and some fresh ground Black pepper. I add the eggs when the
    >> butter starts to bubble and get noisy. I stir them around constantly
    >> with a silicon Spatchula, and just before they're set I add optional
    >> stuff like shredded cheese, or herbs etc. And then directly onto a
    >> plate...the finish setting up on the way to the table.
    >>
    >> I tried doing them in a double boiler but I find that takes more
    >> clean up than I'd like...
    >>
    >> How do you make your's?
    >>
    >> --
    >> -Alan

    > Oh yeah, with fresh grounded black pepper. Also I like it with salt.
    > Sometimes add single cream in the mix. non-stick pan for me as well.
    > Probably have it with toast.

    NON stick pan is always good.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  10. Peter Aitken wrote on 16 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > > How do you make your's?
    > >

    > I tend to like "purist" scrambled eggs. I start with local free range
    > eggs if possible and beat them with a fork, adding about 1/2 TB heavy
    > cream and a big pinch of salt. I melt 1/2 TB bitter in a 6" nonstick
    > pan over low heat (1 notch up from lowest). Add the eggs and stir now
    > and then until almost done. A grinding of white pepper, a final stir,
    > and onto the plate. You must take them out just before they are done
    > because they continue cooking a bit.
    >
    > DON'T add water, and DON'T overcook!

    So you like a larger curd than I...More stirring equals smaller curd.
    What is this facination with cream (2 posters so far use it)?

    I read somewhere that salt makes eggs more brittle, so I never salt eggs
    till they're at the table. Even though this would only apply to fries
    eggs.

    --
    -Alan

  11. Henhouse wrote on 16 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > So they nauseate others, I'm afraid - I like them very, very, runny -
    > with soft curds. I melt butter in a pan over a low heat, add the beaten
    > eggs (with a drop of Kikkoman's soy sauce for flavour) and stir
    > incessantly until they're at the stage I like them - still almost
    > liquid. Never found anyone else who likes them this way!
    >
    > Jo (and before anyone asks, no I don't worry about salmonella!)

    I like my scrambled eggs moist...not dry but not actually runny...They look
    almost like grits when I'm eating them...Not that I actually like grits...

    --
    -Alan

  12. Skookum

    Skookum Guest

    I like Peter Aitken's ingredients and use much the same. However, I am
    an iconoclast in regard to paan temperature and have found that a
    rleatively hot pan makes a delicious product. I dump the mix in a
    medium hot well buttered pan (whether it's no-stick or not) when the
    butter just barely begins to brown. I leave things alone for about 15
    seconds and then start stirring around about every 3-4 seconds, tipping
    the pan so that the still liquid parts of the mixture contact hot
    surface. Some might not call these legit' scarmbled eggs but rather a
    kind of broken up unstuffed omelette. I call 'em delicious. As it is
    morning and I have made myself hungry typing this out, off I go to cook
    some!

  13. On Thu 16 Mar 2006 08:56:57a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Peter
    Aitken?

    > "Henhouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
    >>> I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...

    >> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> How do you make your's?
    >>>

    >> So they nauseate others, I'm afraid - I like them very, very, runny -
    >> with soft curds. I melt butter in a pan over a low heat, add the beaten
    >> eggs (with a drop of Kikkoman's soy sauce for flavour) and stir
    >> incessantly until they're at the stage I like them - still almost
    >> liquid. Never found anyone else who likes them this way!
    >>
    >> Jo (and before anyone asks, no I don't worry about salmonella!)

    > You found one now - me! And Julia Child, and Jacques Pepin, etc. etc.
    > This is the true best way to make scrambled eggs, soft, moist, and
    > creamy.

    Me, too! I hate dry, quickly cook scrambled eggs.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  14. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

    > I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...I butter
    > my non-stick fry pan, wisk the eggs with a little frank's hot sauce and
    > some fresh ground Black pepper. I add the eggs when the butter starts to
    > bubble and get noisy. I stir them around constantly with a silicon
    > Spatchula, and just before they're set I add optional stuff like shredded
    > cheese, or herbs etc. And then directly onto a plate...the finish setting
    > up on the way to the table.
    >
    > I tried doing them in a double boiler but I find that takes more clean up
    > than I'd like...
    >
    > How do you make your's?

    One of the few things I will use a non-stick fry pan for is eggs. I
    prefer my sunny side up but here's how I make scrambled eggs. I use
    local free range eggs if that matters. Heat pan with a little light
    olive or canola oil. Whisk the eggs with cream and pour into hot pan.
    I like larger lumps so don't stir as much as you do. DH doesn't like
    Frank's so that is added to my eggs after plating along with fresh
    ground pepper and a little salt. DH puts ketchup on his or eats them
    plain. When DH makes scrambled eggs he does it the same way I do except
    he adds shredded cheese, onions, and mushrooms. They are quite tasty
    this way too.

  15. Henhouse

    Henhouse Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Thu 16 Mar 2006 08:56:57a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Peter
    > Aitken?

    <snippage>

    >>You found one now - me! And Julia Child, and Jacques Pepin, etc. etc.
    >>This is the true best way to make scrambled eggs, soft, moist, and
    >>creamy.
    >>

    > Me, too! I hate dry, quickly cook scrambled eggs.

    Glad to be in such good company (and MFK Fisher, come to that)! As you
    two will know, softly scrambled eggs, cooked slowly, have a flavour all
    of their own - must evolve during the relatively long cooking process
    (compared to those who cook hot 'n fast). It's the definitive flavour of
    Sunday breakfasts of my youth - Dad did his once-a-week cooking, which
    was either a soufflé omelette, or scrambled eggs cooked as I like them.
    He's still going strong at age 78 (79 in July), but we live in separate
    countries now, so this is my way of feeling closer to him.

    I don't think Dad ever learned to cook anything apart from eggs - I was
    over on a visit last week, and all he cooked all the time I was there
    were 4 hardboiled eggs! My mother is no longer with us, but she didn't
    cook much either (and hated doing it, with predictable results), so I
    learned by necessity, really!

    Jo

  16. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2006-03-16, Peter Aitken <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You found one now - me! And Julia Child, and Jacques Pepin, etc. etc.

    Yep, me too. Not still runny, but like a soft custard. Takes time,
    about 8-10 minutes of constant stirring. I like how it magnifies the
    flavor of the yolk, like a hollandaise sauce.

    nb

  17. "Henhouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
    >> I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...

    > <snip>
    >>
    >> How do you make your's?
    >>

    > So they nauseate others, I'm afraid - I like them very, very, runny - with
    > soft curds. I melt butter in a pan over a low heat, add the beaten eggs
    > (with a drop of Kikkoman's soy sauce for flavour) and stir incessantly
    > until they're at the stage I like them - still almost liquid. Never found
    > anyone else who likes them this way!
    >
    > Jo (and before anyone asks, no I don't worry about salmonella!)

    Me too, me too! And I want the poached eggs on my benedicts runny, thank
    you.

    Felice

  18. KevinS

    KevinS Guest

    Mr Libido Incognito wrote on 3/16/2006:

    > I like to make my scrambled eggs in a frypan over med-low heat...

    <snip>

    > I tried doing them in a double boiler but I find that takes more clean up
    > than I'd like...

    > How do you make your's?

    In a double boiler cooked to soft, slightly runny curds.

  19. In article <[email protected]>,
    Mr Libido Incognito <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Peter Aitken wrote on 16 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking
    >
    > > > How do you make your's?
    > > >

    > > I tend to like "purist" scrambled eggs. I start with local free range
    > > eggs if possible and beat them with a fork, adding about 1/2 TB heavy
    > > cream and a big pinch of salt. I melt 1/2 TB bitter in a 6" nonstick
    > > pan over low heat (1 notch up from lowest). Add the eggs and stir now
    > > and then until almost done. A grinding of white pepper, a final stir,
    > > and onto the plate. You must take them out just before they are done
    > > because they continue cooking a bit.
    > >
    > > DON'T add water, and DON'T overcook!
    > >

    > So you like a larger curd than I...More stirring equals smaller curd.
    > What is this facination with cream (2 posters so far use it)?
    >
    > I read somewhere that salt makes eggs more brittle, so I never salt eggs
    > till they're at the table. Even though this would only apply to fries
    > eggs.

    I'm not sure how adding cream, salt and white pepper makes one a
    purist, but whatever. I like plain scrambled eggs to be beaten until
    they are uniformly pale yellow, and I cook them until they are finished,
    no wet or runny parts for me. I will add some water, salt, pepper if
    I'm making it plain. If I'm making it with cheese, I leave out the salt
    and water. I also make "dirty eggs" and cook the eggs with salsa,
    cheese, sometimes olives, or using other omelet type ingredients and
    just mixing them up with the eggs as they cook.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  20. In article <[email protected]s.isp.giganews.com>,
    Ranee Mueller <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm not sure how adding cream, salt and white pepper makes one a
    > purist, but whatever. I like plain scrambled eggs to be beaten until
    > they are uniformly pale yellow, and I cook them until they are finished,
    > no wet or runny parts for me. I will add some water, salt, pepper if
    > I'm making it plain. If I'm making it with cheese, I leave out the salt
    > and water. I also make "dirty eggs" and cook the eggs with salsa,
    > cheese, sometimes olives, or using other omelet type ingredients and
    > just mixing them up with the eggs as they cook.

    Oh, and I cook them in butter.