Preferred shifters for time trial bars?

Paiyili

Jun 17, 2005
Hi,
I am re-enabling an old (22 years) Fuji (Team, I think) double-butted, chromoly road bike. After serving well as a racing bicycle (centuries, metric centuries) it was languishing and rusting away in a basement ...the original owner replaced it with an aluminium Cannondale. As I have always been a hybrid rider, I am uncomfortable in the drop-bar position, so I installed a set of Nashbar time trial bars. Much more comfortable! Now I want to move the shifters to the bars, near the grips. I am considering trigger shifters, but am open to suggestions. The bike has been upgraded from the Suntour Ultra-6 freewheel stack that was on it to a Shimano seven stack. Since I have yet to see a brake lever-shifter combination made for seven speeds, and since all such combinations are more expensive than the entire remainder of the bike, I am not interested in them. (Yes, the derailleurs and rear cog stack have been replaced with modern components, capable of indexed shifting). Other than the inevitable "Get a new bike!" advice, any thoughts? Thanks.

artmichalek said:
The easiest option (aside from sticking with the down tube levers) is probably to track down an old set of bar end shifters. Harris Cyclery has some 8 speed ones that supposedly work with 7 speed cassettes. http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shifters.html#barcons
Thanks for the input and the link. I have been cnsidering bar ends. They would move the shifters much closer to my hands, but I wonder what would happen to them in the (inevitable) mishap. Seems that they would be the first thing to go. Anybody tried them?

I would like to see a way of using flat bar shifters, Shimano SL-R440, on TT or Bull Horn bars.