Preload Adjustment

gr033y

Aug 5, 2006
I have a 2005 Cinder Cone with Marzocchi MZ Race forks. I've just got round to properly setting the pre-load on recomendation from a riding buddy as i was only getting about 1" of travell max.

However after trying to adjust the pre-load as directed on there website i couldnt seem to make any change to the sag i am getting (about 10mm) I think it should be around 20%. The forks are 100mm travel and seem to be wasted.

Do they need a service? They havent had one since i purchased the bike new in summer 05?

gr033y said:
Do they need a service? They havent had one since i purchased the bike new in summer 05?
Depending on your actual use, my guess is they need a service.

Before you pay money for a service, try moving the fork up and down by pushing on the handlebars; is it hard to do? To see how much travel you are getting, take a zip tie and fasten it around one of the stanchion tubes (above the legs that move up and down). You want it snug, not loose. Then move it down until it is touching the top of the fork leg. Ride your bike off road where you usually ride. When you get home, you can measure the distance between the top of the fork leg and the zip tie to see how much travel you are using. You can also try this when you're pushing down on the fork. It could be you're just not hitting big enough bumps. If it still isn't using a lot of its travel, then you can bring it in for service. Hopefully this might save you a few dollars...