Preload: What is it and how do I adjust it?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Snyperx, May 16, 2003.

  1. Snyperx

    Snyperx Guest

    ****NEWBIE ALERT****

    Recenlty purchased a new mt. bike equiped with the Manitou Axel Fork. What I was wondering is what
    exactly does the Preload dial do?? If someone could please give me some addtional info on fork
    Preload and how to adjust it correclty it would be grealty appreciated. Thanks.

    snyperx

    Tags:

  2. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

    "Snyperx" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > ****NEWBIE ALERT****
    >
    > Recenlty purchased a new mt. bike equiped with the Manitou Axel Fork.
    What
    > I was wondering is what exactly does the Preload dial do?? If someone
    could
    > please give me some addtional info on fork Preload and how to adjust it correclty it would be
    > grealty appreciated. Thanks.
    >

    > snyperx

    It puts an artificial "load" on the spring by compressing it to adjust the ride characteristics to
    your liking. Add load and the fork becomes stiffer, decrease load and it does the reverse. Check the
    manual for the amount of sag (how much the fork should compress while you are sitting on the bike)
    you need and you can use the preload to get to that point.

    You can also add different types of springs for coil forks, is the axel coil or air?

    Chris

  3. Snyperx

    Snyperx Guest

    CTG, Thanks for the reply. The Axel fork is coil. I am not sure what set of coils come with it, but
    they seem to be pretty soft. I am 6' and 180 lbs. I can easily compress the fork all the the way
    down. I tried adjusting the Preload, but the adjustment dial doesn'r seem to do anything, so I am
    not sure if something is up with the fork or what.

    Snyperx

    "ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Snyperx" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > ****NEWBIE ALERT****
    > >
    > > Recenlty purchased a new mt. bike equiped with the Manitou Axel Fork.
    > What
    > > I was wondering is what exactly does the Preload dial do?? If someone
    > could
    > > please give me some addtional info on fork Preload and how to adjust it correclty it would be
    > > grealty appreciated. Thanks.
    > >

    > > snyperx
    >

    > It puts an artificial "load" on the spring by compressing it to adjust the ride characteristics to
    > your liking. Add load and the fork becomes
    stiffer,
    > decrease load and it does the reverse. Check the manual for the amount of sag (how much the fork
    > should compress while you are sitting on the bike) you need and you can use the preload to get to
    > that point.
    >
    > You can also add different types of springs for coil forks, is the axel
    coil
    > or air?
    >
    > Chris

  4. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    Snyperx <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > ****NEWBIE ALERT****
    >
    > Recenlty purchased a new mt. bike equiped with the Manitou Axel Fork.
    What
    > I was wondering is what exactly does the Preload dial do?? If someone
    could
    > please give me some addtional info on fork Preload and how to adjust it correclty it would be
    > grealty appreciated. Thanks.
    >

    > snyperx

    Dude don't touch the pre-load just buy yourself a firm ride kit to suit an axel fork ASAP!

  5. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

    "Snyperx" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > CTG, Thanks for the reply. The Axel fork is coil. I am not sure what set of coils come with it,
    > but they seem to be pretty soft. I am 6' and 180 lbs. I can easily compress the fork all the the
    > way down. I tried adjusting
    the
    > Preload, but the adjustment dial doesn'r seem to do anything, so I am not sure if something is up
    > with the fork or what.
    >
    > Snyperx

    Preload isn't meant to compensate for drastic differences, that's what the springs are for. The
    preload is for small adjustments. Talk to your lbs and see what weight the springs are rated for,
    you may need a new spring kit suited to your weight. But I don't know anything about the new
    Manitous so definitely check with someone at your shop, or a friend, who is more knowledgable.

    Chris

  6. "Snyperx" <[email protected]> writes:

    > CTG, Thanks for the reply. The Axel fork is coil. I am not sure what set of coils come with it,
    > but they seem to be pretty soft.

    Soft springs are good for certain kinds of riding.

    > I am 6' and 180 lbs. I can easily compress the fork all the the way down.

    That would be a problem if you were supposed to sit on the bars of your bicycle, but your not. Does
    it work properly for the riding you expect to use it for?

    If it bottoms out to often you need to increase the the preload, if that does'n help or you run out
    of negative suspension travel - get stiffer springs.

    [snip]

    --
    __o | Øyvind Røtvold _`\(, | http://www.darkside.no/olr/index.html (_)/(_) | ... biciclare
    necesse est ...

  7. Snyperx

    Snyperx Guest

    Thanks for the reply. Now does anyone know an online retailer that sells spring kits for Manitou
    forks?? I haven't had much luch locating one. Thanks again. "David Bailey" <[email protected]>

    > Snyperx <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > ****NEWBIE ALERT****
    > >
    > > Recenlty purchased a new mt. bike equiped with the Manitou Axel Fork.
    > What
    > > I was wondering is what exactly does the Preload dial do?? If someone
    > could
    > > please give me some addtional info on fork Preload and how to adjust it correclty it would be
    > > grealty appreciated. Thanks.
    > >

    > > snyperx
    > >
    > Dude don't touch the pre-load just buy yourself a firm ride kit to suit an axel fork ASAP!

  8. Paul Eaton

    Paul Eaton Guest

    "Snyperx" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > ****NEWBIE ALERT****
    >
    > Recenlty purchased a new mt. bike equiped with the Manitou Axel Fork. What I was wondering is what
    > exactly does the Preload dial do?? If someone could please give me some addtional info on fork
    > Preload and how to adjust it correclty it would be grealty appreciated. Thanks.
    >

    > snyperx

    I have the same fork and problems on my new Rockhopper, far too soft for my liking. It comes with
    the 'standard kit' 150-170 lbs spring. Look at Answer Products website and there is a dealer locator
    and an owner's manual pdf with part numbers.

    http://www.answerproducts.com/

    Paul