preparing a new chain for use

David Waters wrote:
> Same topic different slant. I have been using car engine oil on my chain
> for a while. It seems to lubricate well although it is a bit messy.
> Thoughts?

The two properties you need are low viscosity or it won't get inside the chain
where the real lubrication is needed and non-dirt attracting on the outside so
that it doesn't pick up dust and grit to grind your chainrings and cassette.
Engine oil does poorly on both counts.

Tony

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Me, I use 3-in-1 oil because it keeps the chain quiet and isn't
> excessively sticky.

Um, I hope

a) it's the 3-in-1 in the blue can which says "special blend for 1/4 hp
motors or larger"
b) the stuff in the black can promotes corrosion - it's about the only thing
that can kill a SA hub
c) if it is a) above it's nothing other than straight 20-weight motor oil
for which you are paying an extrordinary premium for the teeny-weeny can

Tony Raven wrote:
> David Waters wrote:
>
>>Same topic different slant. I have been using car engine oil on my chain
>>for a while. It seems to lubricate well although it is a bit messy.
>>Thoughts?

> The two properties you need are low viscosity or it won't get inside the chain
> where the real lubrication is needed and non-dirt attracting on the outside so
> that it doesn't pick up dust and grit to grind your chainrings and cassette.
> Engine oil does poorly on both counts.
>
> Tony

So what do you recommend?

Ed

"Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In news:[email protected],
> Mark South <[email protected]> typed:
>
> > White lightning has one virtue. It doesn't attract dirt.
> >
> > It has one failing. It doesn't lubricate worth a damn.
> >
> > It has one major extra downside. It is expensive.
> >

> Eh? It's only £2.49 for a 3 litre bottle. It's not quite as good a (social)
> lubricant as a nice bottle of wine or a few bottles of Deuchars or
> something, though.

From the tramps I've seen swigging it, I appear to be wrong about its propensity
for attracting dirt as well.
--
"To ... just not care that there are naked triathletes running
across your lawn, that's just a waste of exhibitionism."

Ed wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>> David Waters wrote:
>>
>>> Same topic different slant. I have been using car engine oil on my chain
>>> for a while. It seems to lubricate well although it is a bit messy.
>>> Thoughts?

>> The two properties you need are low viscosity or it won't get inside the
>> chain where the real lubrication is needed and non-dirt attracting on the
>> outside so that it doesn't pick up dust and grit to grind your chainrings
>> and cassette. Engine oil does poorly on both counts.
>>
>> Tony
>>

> So what do you recommend?

I generally use something like White Lightning which carries the wax inside
the link on a solvent and dries non-sticky. The solvent also does a good job
of washing the muck out of the inside of the links. If its wet and winter
I'll generally use something like Finish Line Cross Country carefully dripped
on the gap between the roller and the side plate so it wicks inside and not
too much on the outside. Resists washing out much better than WL

Tony

> I generally use something like White Lightning which carries the wax inside
> the link on a solvent and dries non-sticky. The solvent also does a good job
> of washing the muck out of the inside of the links. If its wet and winter
> I'll generally use something like Finish Line Cross Country carefully dripped
> on the gap between the roller and the side plate so it wicks inside and not
> too much on the outside. Resists washing out much better than WL

We are in the middle of this old one over on rec.bikes.tech. The only person
who's conducted a fair experimental test found that the longest chain life was
obtained by leaving the chain alone except for a few drops of oil. Cleaning and
relubing with anything resulted in more wear.
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:27:45 +0200, "Mark South"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>We are in the middle of this old one over on rec.bikes.tech. The only person
>who's conducted a fair experimental test found that the longest chain life was
>obtained by leaving the chain alone except for a few drops of oil. Cleaning and
>relubing with anything resulted in more wear.

Hi Mark

My own cleaning regimen - or, rather, that of my chain - is to slop a
dollop of citrus stuff into a rag and run the chain gently backwards
and forwards though said nice-smelling rag, wiping all the while. I
clean the jockey wheels in the a similar way. To finish, I squirt a
small amount of MultiLube about the place.

I tend not to let my road bike get too gunged up so the above method
works for me. My MTB-lookalike ... well, that's a different matter.
I'm half convinced that the detritus plays a major role in holding the
bike together.

Does the citrus stuff count towards my five portions of fruit/veg. per
day I wonder?

James

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:27:45 +0200, "Mark South"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >We are in the middle of this old one over on rec.bikes.tech. The only person
> >who's conducted a fair experimental test found that the longest chain life

was
> >obtained by leaving the chain alone except for a few drops of oil. Cleaning

and
> >relubing with anything resulted in more wear.

> Hi Mark

Hi James!

> My own cleaning regimen - or, rather, that of my chain - is to slop a
> dollop of citrus stuff into a rag and run the chain gently backwards
> and forwards though said nice-smelling rag, wiping all the while. I
> clean the jockey wheels in the a similar way. To finish, I squirt a
> small amount of MultiLube about the place.

It was pointed out in r.b.t that keeping the outside of the chain clean is a
GOOD THING on the grounds that there is less abrasive stuff wearing out the rest
of your drivetrain.

> I tend not to let my road bike get too gunged up so the above method
> works for me. My MTB-lookalike ... well, that's a different matter.

For the MTB, wash, rinse, repeat, apply conditioner, leave in. Well, oil
really.

> I'm half convinced that the detritus plays a major role in holding the
> bike together.

I've certainly come across bikes where bits would have fallen off if not for the
rust holding them together.

> Does the citrus stuff count towards my five portions of fruit/veg. per
> day I wonder?

No, it counts towards your bike's allowance. You have to give it 5 portions of
citrus cleaner per day too.
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:56:26 +0200, "Mark South"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> I tend not to let my road bike get too gunged up so the above method
>> works for me. My MTB-lookalike ... well, that's a different matter.

>For the MTB, wash, rinse, repeat, apply conditioner, leave in. Well, oil
>really.

Take two degreasers into the shower? Not me. I use slugs and snails
and puppy dogs' tails.

James

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:56:26 +0200, "Mark South"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> I tend not to let my road bike get too gunged up so the above method
> >> works for me. My MTB-lookalike ... well, that's a different matter.

> >For the MTB, wash, rinse, repeat, apply conditioner, leave in. Well, oil
> >really.

> Take two degreasers into the shower? Not me. I use slugs and snails
> and puppy dogs' tails.

:)

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:50:03 +0100, James Hodson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Take two degreasers into the shower? Not me. I use slugs and snails
>and puppy dogs' tails.

In the cold light of day the above certainly came out wrong.

James