preparing for a marathon

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Gery Cook, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Gery Cook

    Gery Cook Guest

    I am trying to get into shape for a marathon. I would like to be able to run one at the end of the
    year. Does anyone have a good training schedule that might help me. Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. In article <Lhr_b.27427$%[email protected]>, Gery Cook wrote:
    > I am trying to get into shape for a marathon. I would like to be able to run one at the end of the
    > year. Does anyone have a good training schedule that might help me. Thanks.

    Could you post some information on your current training ? The following would be useful:

    (1) how much racing experience do you have ?
    (2) how long have you been training for ?
    (3) what sort of weekly milage have you averaged recently ?
    (4) how many miles did you run last year ? last month ? last 3 months ?

    Cheers,

  3. Cwo3

    Cwo3 Guest

    Gery Cook wrote:

    > I am trying to get into shape for a marathon. I would like to be able to run one at the end of the
    > year. Does anyone have a good training schedule that might help me. Thanks.
    Go to Barnes & Noble, buy a coffee, go to the running book area, return to your table, read the
    book, drink your coffee.

    cwo

  4. Hts

    Hts Guest

    A good book will give you enough info on the theory behind marathon training that you can almost
    design your own training program. That said, two books I have used are below, and each gives
    programs of varying intensity depending on your own goals and abilities. For your first marathon,
    finishing is a good goal.

    A couple of rules of thumb you may have heard for developing a goal marathon pace:
    >take your best 1/2 marathon time, double it and add 10 minutes. I found it
    to be pretty close.
    >Another is 4.75 x your best 10k time.

    Two books I like:

    1. Galloway's Book on Running (1980's edition, before he starting advocating the run/walk approach
    to covering 26 miles)

    2. The Competitive Runner's Handbook by Bob Glover

    news:Lhr_b.27427$%[email protected]...