preparing for a marathon

Gery Cook

Guest
I am trying to get into shape for a marathon. I would like to be able to run one at the end of the
year. Does anyone have a good training schedule that might help me. Thanks.

In article <Lhr_b.27427$%[email protected]>, Gery Cook wrote:
> I am trying to get into shape for a marathon. I would like to be able to run one at the end of the
> year. Does anyone have a good training schedule that might help me. Thanks.

Could you post some information on your current training ? The following would be useful:

(1) how much racing experience do you have ?
(2) how long have you been training for ?
(3) what sort of weekly milage have you averaged recently ?
(4) how many miles did you run last year ? last month ? last 3 months ?

Cheers,

Gery Cook wrote:

> I am trying to get into shape for a marathon. I would like to be able to run one at the end of the
> year. Does anyone have a good training schedule that might help me. Thanks.
Go to Barnes & Noble, buy a coffee, go to the running book area, return to your table, read the
book, drink your coffee.

cwo

A good book will give you enough info on the theory behind marathon training that you can almost
design your own training program. That said, two books I have used are below, and each gives
programs of varying intensity depending on your own goals and abilities. For your first marathon,
finishing is a good goal.

A couple of rules of thumb you may have heard for developing a goal marathon pace:
>take your best 1/2 marathon time, double it and add 10 minutes. I found it
to be pretty close.
>Another is 4.75 x your best 10k time.

Two books I like:

1. Galloway's Book on Running (1980's edition, before he starting advocating the run/walk approach
to covering 26 miles)

2. The Competitive Runner's Handbook by Bob Glover

news:Lhr_b.27427$%[email protected]...