Preparing for my first race this sunday, please give me some advice on training

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by LS17, Feb 8, 2006.

1. LS17

LS17 New Member

I am very new to cycling and have just started training last week. I will be entering my first road race this sunday and was wondering if I should train more than once per day? I am only a cat 5 so I don't know if I should just take it easy for now or what. But so far I've been riding for 30 min every other day. Should I train for more than one session a day? I feel like I have more energy left in me before I go to bed.

Tags:

2. JAPANic

JAPANic New Member

Too late to worry about training for next Sunday.....

Start training for your next race about 3 months in advance or enter the races as training.

Good luck on Sunday.

Don't be surprised if you come last.

Be happy if you do come last.

I hope you don't come last.

If you win. Well, you have a talent.

3 times a week is enough for a novice.

30 minutes is a bare minimum and won't get you in race fitness.

You need to do a 2 or 3 hour ride at least once a week 2 to 3 weeks before a race if not every week of your cycling life.

I'm racing Feb 26th and I have not had enough training lately for it....I rode 100km yesterday, probably 6o tomorrow, 200 on the weekend and 300 next week over 4 days. It still won't be enough to win the race I'm going in...

I'd ride 100kms a day if I had the time....

Whatever you do on Sunday don't crash!

Don't be scared to give up if you feel unsteady or have a few close calls. Riding in a tight bunch race the first time can be deadly....

Keep on the sides so you have an exit. Don't stay near the gutters though....

Enjoy!!!!!

3. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Unless this is an important race, why change your weekly training program? As to race specific training, I suggest that you simply work in a lot of power variability in your rides. The constant surging in a RR (or crit) can be a little unnerving if you're not used to it. Races have far more variability of power than most of us do on our routine training rides.

4. velodrome.co.nr

velodrome.co.nr New Member

train like mad until about 5days before the event, then rest up do nothing
    carbo load the day before, eating loads of pasta etc

hope this helps

andy

5. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

I always stop training about 7 days before the race. In the last week i only do some very light stuff, maybe 3 times a ride for about an hour but really slow and yes PASTA!

6. velodrome.co.nr

velodrome.co.nr New Member

i find omelette is good to

7. sooray02

sooray02 New Member

make sure you do a good warm-up. drink a plenty. eat right.

don't be surprised if you get blown away.

enjoy.

8. EoinC

EoinC New Member

How long is the race? Hilly or flat?
    As has been said previously, don't be surprised if you get blown away - it doesn't matter, you'll learn from it. It does get better, if you stick with it.
    If you do get blown away, try to still finish the race. Finishing last is still better than not finishing - you'll end up with a better understanding of what is required, and you won't be setting a precedent for dropping out in the future.
    Unless you are starting out fitter than most of us did, try to just hang in there for the first part - go too fast, too early and you'll find yourself out the back door before you know it.
    Unless you already have good bike-riding skills with regards to riding in the middle of a bunch, don't mix it up too much - you'll be a danger to yourself and others. Ride in accordance with your confidence and skill level. They will develop if you allow them to.
    Most of all, enjoy it.

9. JAPANic

JAPANic New Member

Sunday is almost over here, so I'll get in now. (You probably haven't raced yet).

HOW DID YOU GO?

10. ToffoIsMe

ToffoIsMe New Member

Only a week to go before your first race? And you've only been training since last week? Don't expect to do too well. I have my first race on March 11, roughly four weeks away, and I started doing race training the first week of January. I still don't plan on doing to well, just because it will be my first ever race.

11. Maroje

Maroje New Member

HOW DID RACE GO? DID YOU CAME WITH THE GROUP TO FINISH:rolleyes: