Prepration for London to Brighton ride

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jag Mann, Mar 4, 2003.

  1. Jag Mann

    Jag Mann Guest

    Hi,

    I am fairly new to biking. Recently bought a mountain bike to give my son company at weekends with
    his bike ride around the park etc.

    A friend of mine was keen on doing the London to Brighton ride this year and have convinced me to
    join him. Well I am a 32 yr old male and consider my self fairly healthy. I need some advice from
    the panel on how best to prepare for this. I was hoping to do some cycling in the gym and do some
    round at the weekends on road. unfortunately I can not ride to work as I take motorway to work. My
    Bike is a straight forward mountain bike. I am not looking to race towards the finish line, just
    completing the whole 50 miles will be a big achivemnet. How much prepration time and how to build
    towards the goal is the sort of information I am after.

    Any feedback greatly appreciated.

    oh yes can someone recommend a good seat (sadle) this one really hurts my bums.

    Thanks

    Jag Mann

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Jag Mann <[email protected]> writes
    >Hi,
    >
    >I am fairly new to biking. Recently bought a mountain bike to give my son company at weekends with
    >his bike ride around the park etc.
    >
    >A friend of mine was keen on doing the London to Brighton ride this year and have convinced me to
    >join him. Well I am a 32 yr old male and consider my self fairly healthy. I need some advice from
    >the panel on how best to prepare for this. I was hoping to do some cycling in the gym and do some
    >round at the weekends on road. unfortunately I can not ride to work as I take motorway to work. My
    >Bike is a straight forward mountain bike. I am not looking to race towards the finish line, just
    >completing the whole 50 miles will be a big achivemnet. How much prepration time and how to build
    >towards the goal is the sort of information I am after.

    If you're reasonably fit and healthy, then 50 miles at a sensible pace isn't as challenging as you
    might think - certainly nothing like running a marathon. There's no harm in doing the odd 20 or 30
    mile run of a weekend - that ought to build your confidence and fitness plenty. If you haven't
    already, fit slick tyres to your bike - knobblies will make it significantly harder work. Make sure
    you are comfortable on your bike - I can't recommend a saddle, but go to your local bike shop and
    try a few and see whether they think your bike is set up correctly for comfort.

    Good luck and happy cycling :)

    ttfn

    Martin

    --
    "If you keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you've misunderstood the situation."

    Martin Harlow [email protected]

  3. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Jag Mann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am fairly new to biking. Recently bought a mountain bike to give my son company at weekends with
    > his bike ride around the park etc.
    >
    > A friend of mine was keen on doing the London to Brighton ride this year and have convinced me to
    > join him. Well I am a 32 yr old male and consider my self fairly healthy. I need some advice from
    > the panel on how best to prepare for this. I was hoping to do some cycling in the gym and do some
    > round at the weekends on road. unfortunately I can not ride to work as I take motorway to work. My
    > Bike is a straight forward mountain bike. I am not looking to race towards the finish line, just
    > completing the whole 50 miles will be a big achivemnet. How much prepration time and how to build
    > towards the goal is the sort of information I am after.
    >
    > Any feedback greatly appreciated.
    >
    > oh yes can someone recommend a good seat (sadle) this one really hurts my bums.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jag Mann

    Get some padded lycra shorts, put a normal pair of shorts over the top, bingo ...

    50 miles and it's quite hilly so get out on the weekend when you can, and make sure your bike is
    serviced ...

    Everytime I do a ride like this, there are people lager-ing their way down, old and young people ..

    It's your bum that'll take the toll .. your legs'll hurt the next day, so don't worry about them!

  4. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Jag Mann wrote:

    > Recently bought a mountain bike to give my son company at weekends with his bike ride around the
    > park etc.
    >
    > A friend of mine was keen on doing the London to Brighton ride this year and have convinced me to
    > join him. Well I am a 32 yr old male and consider my self fairly healthy. I need some advice from
    > the panel on how best to prepare for this.

    Step 1, remove the knobbly MTB tyres and get high pressure road tyres on instead. It will make a
    *huge* difference to the amount of effort you need to put in, as well as giving a smoother and
    quieter (and thus more comfortable) ride.

    > I was hoping to do some cycling in the gym and do some round at the weekends on road.
    > unfortunately I can not ride to work as I take motorway to work.

    Cycling in the gym might work the muscles, but it's fantastically dull, it doesn't teach you how to
    use your gears optimally on different terrain and most importantly it doesn't help you ride safely
    and confidently on Real Roads. The nights are getting shorter again and the weather's improving for
    Spring, just get out on the roads anyway (you could cycle to the gym, rather than drive there and
    sit on a stationary bike!).

    > How much prepration time and how to build towards the goal is the sort of information I am after.

    If you're fairly fit you can probably ride 50 miles anyway. You might well be toast afterwards and
    stiff for a few days, but you've probably got the ooomph to cycle 50 miles. But the more you can do
    before then the more you'll actually *enjoy* it at the time, and the sooner you'll be able to walk
    normally again afterwards. Just get used to gradually bigger distances if you can: as well as
    building the body for the job you'll get to know what you can expect of yourself over time.

    > oh yes can someone recommend a good seat (sadle) this one really hurts my bums.

    Not really: they're all rather personal fits, but a good bike shop will let you try out a few so you
    can decide for yourself. A really good bike shop will let you bring back a purchase you initially
    liked a week later if you decide against it after all (good service == repeat custom). But the
    *things* that turn up on basic MTBs are pretty frightful, and usually well worth changing. A pair of
    reasonable quality padded shorts (usually work best with no underpants) is often recommended: the
    great majority do find a big difference.

    If you'll be carrying any stuff with you on the ride try and avoid carrying it in a rucksack.
    They're the pits over distances. If you can get stuff in a bum-bag that's better, better still is a
    bar bag or something on a rack that will let the frame of the bike take the weight directly.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  5. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Jag Mann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am fairly new to biking. Recently bought a mountain bike to give my son company at weekends with
    > his bike ride around the park etc.
    >
    > A friend of mine was keen on doing the London to Brighton ride this year and have convinced me to
    > join him. Well I am a 32 yr old male and consider my self fairly healthy. I need some advice from
    > the panel on how best to prepare for this. I was hoping to do some cycling in the gym and do some
    > round at the weekends on road. unfortunately I can not ride to work as I take motorway to work. My
    > Bike is a straight forward mountain bike. I am not looking to race towards the finish line, just
    > completing the whole 50 miles will be a big achivemnet. How much prepration time and how to build
    > towards the goal is the sort of information I am after.
    >
    > Any feedback greatly appreciated.
    >
    > oh yes can someone recommend a good seat (sadle) this one really hurts my bums.

    Make sure your saddle is not too low otherwise your knees will hurt. If you choose an alternative
    route to work and it's below about 15 miles, you should be able to commute 2-3 days a week. On
    your days off try a 10 mile ride, then a 20 etc. until you feel confident on tackling fairly long
    rides. You can read on my site how after a 25 year lay off I managed a 200 mile ride after 4
    months prep. Good Luck

  6. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Jag Mann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am fairly new to biking. Recently bought a mountain bike to give my son company at weekends with
    > his bike ride around the park etc.

    Firstly, is the saddle correctly adjusted? Height, angle and fore/aft positioning can all make a
    critical difference. Get it adjusted correctly -- if it is still uncomfortable go to a good LBS and
    try some others. (Some shops have a library of several you can borrow to test).

    Define hurts your bum. If you are just starting cycling you may suffer some chaffing which will go
    away and will be eased with some padded pants.

    Next. Put some road tyres on and pump them up hard. Then pump them up harder. That has cut your
    rolling resistance greatly (and relieved that awful road noise).

    Stay out of the gym. You will just bore yourself stupid putting in sensible time on a bike there.

    Next. Learn to use your gears. Maintain a steady cadence (pedalling rate) of 70 to 90 (then adjust
    to your own preference). Don't be tempted to pedal in too high a gear. You will bugger your knees
    and shatter your self more quickly.

    Finally, put some real miles in. Be sure you are happy covering 30+ miles at a shot and that the
    first hill won't bugger you completely.

    L-B is not long but there are a couple of brutal hills (by our soft southern standards). Take em
    slow and you will get there.

    On the night before have a good carbohydrate right meal and a good nights kip. A nice breakfast
    (porridge is good). While cycling eat little & often and drink plenty. Find some people to chat with
    as you go. The prettier she is the easier it will be to keep up with her :0

  7. Jag Mann wrote:
    > snipped about London to Brighton ride

    Shouldn't be too hard. (Although it may well still be quite hard) Make sure that your tyres are well
    pumped up. If you really want to splash out, some easier rolling tyres might be worth it, but they'd
    start at about £15 each. Check also that your saddle isn't too low. It's not necessary for you to be
    able to touch the floor while sitting in the saddle. The ideal height is so that your leg is almost
    straight when the pedal is at the bottom of its turn.

    > oh yes can someone recommend a good seat (sadle) this one really hurts my bums.

    maybe try cross-posting to alt.support.peoplewithanaboveaveragenumberofrearends I can see that the
    presence of superfluous posterier(s) may well make cycling a touch troublesome, but presumably you
    have coping strategies in normal life for your augmented buttock count, and these may apply here.

    Sorry, I'm in a silly mood.

    I'd definitely second the recommendation to wear padded cycling shorts (without underwear underneath
    them), probably disguising them under normal shorts. As for saddles, some people like narrow ones
    and some people like broad ones, so it's a matter of taste. Most people here think that gel padding
    is a waste of time, and I'd agree with that.

    Ambrose

  8. Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > Jag Mann wrote:
    >> snipped about London to Brighton ride

    Sorry, forgot to mention that it's also very important to use a far lower gear than you think is
    necessary. Basically, it shouldn't be any hard work pushing the pedals round so your legs can move
    pretty fast. Not whirling around, but definitely a lot faster than they do when walking.

  9. Jag Mann says:

    > Well I am a 32 yr old male and consider my self fairly healthy. I need some advice from the panel
    > on how best to prepare for this. I was hoping to do some cycling in the gym and do some round at
    > the weekends on road. unfortunately I can not ride to work as I take motorway to work.

    Had you thought of driving part way, unloading your bike, and cycling the rest? The advantage of
    having a bike is that you get plenty of choice of places to park your car, so parking should not
    be a problem. You ought to be able to find a place where it is easy to park, and also easy to
    cycle on to work. Even if you work actually in a motorway service area, there is often a back way
    to enter by bike.

    I think that riding a bike in the rush hour is easier, in some ways, than riding at other times, but
    if you need tips on riding in traffic, John Franklin's "Cyclecraft" is the book to read.

    Jeremy Parker

  10. Mike

    Mike Guest

    does anyone know what sort of return transport will be available from brighton? i have got the
    application form but it doesnt give much away "Jag Mann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am fairly new to biking. Recently bought a mountain bike to give my son company at weekends with
    > his bike ride around the park etc.
    >
    > A friend of mine was keen on doing the London to Brighton ride this year and have convinced me to
    > join him. Well I am a 32 yr old male and consider my self fairly healthy. I need some advice from
    > the panel on how best to prepare for this. I was hoping to do some cycling in the gym and do some
    > round at the weekends on road. unfortunately I can not ride to work as I take motorway to work. My
    > Bike is a straight forward mountain bike. I am not looking to race towards the finish line, just
    > completing the whole 50 miles will be a big achivemnet. How much prepration time and how to build
    > towards the goal is the sort of information I am after.
    >
    > Any feedback greatly appreciated.
    >
    > oh yes can someone recommend a good seat (sadle) this one really hurts my bums.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jag Mann

  11. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    > "Jag Mann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > unfortunately I can not ride to work as I take motorway to work.

    > If you choose an alternative route to work and it's below about 15 miles, you should be able to
    > commute 2-3 days a week.

    Alternatively, if the whole journey is out of range, put the bike in the car and find a place to
    park between 8 and 20 miles from work (off the M/way, naturally) and ride in and out from there.

    --
    Dave...

  12. They put special trains on

    HTH Russ

    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > does anyone know what sort of return transport will be available from brighton? i have got the
    > application form but it doesnt give much away "Jag Mann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am fairly new to biking. Recently bought a mountain bike to give my son company at weekends
    > > with his bike ride around the park etc.
    > >
    > > A friend of mine was keen on doing the London to Brighton ride this year and have convinced me
    > > to join him. Well I am a 32 yr old male and consider my self fairly healthy. I need some advice
    > > from the panel on how best to prepare for this. I was hoping to do some cycling in the gym and
    > > do some round at the weekends on road. unfortunately I can not ride to work as I take motorway
    > > to work. My Bike is a straight forward mountain bike. I am not looking to race towards the
    > > finish line, just completing the whole 50 miles will be a big achivemnet. How much prepration
    > > time and how to build towards the goal is the sort of information I am after.
    > >
    > > Any feedback greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > oh yes can someone recommend a good seat (sadle) this one really hurts my bums.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Jag Mann

  13. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > does anyone know what sort of return transport will be available from brighton? i have got the
    > application form but it doesnt give much away

    Really? My application said "pay an extra £x to book your train back ..."