Prescription Cycling Eyewear

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Allan, Feb 23, 2003.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Can anyone recommend prescription eyewear for cycling? I'm looking for both tinted and clear lenses
    in a lightweight wrap-around frame.

  2. I'll add to this question? What about prescription eye wear with a bifocal???

    --
    Alan C. Acock [email protected] [email protected] http://www.orst.edu/dept/hdfs/acock/
    "Allan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone recommend prescription eyewear for cycling? I'm looking for
    both
    > tinted and clear lenses in a lightweight wrap-around frame.

    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Alan C. Acock" <[email protected]> wrote in news:2gN6a.260025$be.242265 @rwcrnsc53:

    > I'll add to this question? What about prescription eye wear with a bifocal???

    Start by visiting a good local optician and see what they can make for you. Most have a pretty good
    selection of sunglasses and some will be great for cycling.

    Ken

  4. Patrick Lamb

    Patrick Lamb Guest

    On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:57:34 GMT, "Alan C. Acock" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'll add to this question? What about prescription eye wear with a bifocal???

    I prefer my old glasses, without the bifocals, for cycling. I can't find any good reason to use
    bifocals while cycling. They interfere with seeing the road, seeing my derailers, seeing the speedo.
    I don't read many books or newspapers while riding, so why bother?

    Pat

  5. Allan wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend prescription eyewear for cycling?

    I usually wear the same glasses I wear the rest of the time I'm awake.

    Barry

  6. Bill Fasula

    Bill Fasula Guest

    "Allan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Can anyone recommend prescription eyewear for cycling? I'm looking for both tinted and clear
    > lenses in a lightweight wrap-around frame.

    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

    I have been using the Bolle Parole for about three years. They have an insert for the prescription
    lenses and come with several tinted lenses. There are other similar brands. You can check them out
    at performancebike.com. The only negative is they tend to fog up in damp weather. I have just found
    out that you can get Rudy Project eye glasses with the tinted lenses made with your prescription and
    ordered a pair from http://www.in-spex.com.

    Bill Fasula

  7. F. Golightly

    F. Golightly Guest

    Do a Google search on this subject you'll find this was discussed at length just a few weeks ago.

    hth

    "Allan" <[email protected]>
    > Can anyone recommend prescription eyewear for cycling? I'm looking for
    both
    > tinted and clear lenses in a lightweight wrap-around frame.

  8. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    I wear Briko Sprinter. They have a snap in prescription lense.

    Allan wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend prescription eyewear for cycling? I'm looking for both tinted and clear
    > lenses in a lightweight wrap-around frame.

    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

  9. On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 00:48:47 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, Kolaga

    > > Can anyone recommend prescription eyewear for cycling? I'm looking for both tinted and clear
    > > lenses in a lightweight wrap-around frame.

    i've been happy with performance's house brand, but they've now changed the models. their "radial"
    glasses wrap around, and lenses are interchangeable. you buy a nosepiece that has frames for lenses
    you have made to fit at your eyewear supplier. works well.

  10. In article <[email protected]>, Patrick Lamb <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:57:34 GMT, "Alan C. Acock" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I'll add to this question? What about prescription eye wear with a bifocal???
    >
    >I prefer my old glasses, without the bifocals, for cycling. I can't find any good reason to use
    >bifocals while cycling. They interfere with seeing the road, seeing my derailers, seeing the
    >speedo. I don't read many books or newspapers while riding, so why bother?
    >
    >Pat

    I had a terrible time trying to read a map wearing single-vision contact lenses. At least us over-40
    nearsighted people can take the glasses off to read a map if need be. So the bifocals might be
    useful, or consider if you will be able to take the glasses off when reading.

    Phil White USENET: [email protected] Portland, OR 97221 USA 503-246-6718

  11. Patrick Lamb

    Patrick Lamb Guest

    Philip W White wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Patrick Lamb
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:57:34 GMT, "Alan C. Acock" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'll add to this question? What about prescription eye wear with a bifocal???
    >>
    >>I prefer my old glasses, without the bifocals, for cycling. I can't find any good reason to use
    >>bifocals while cycling. They interfere with seeing the road, seeing my derailers, seeing the
    >>speedo. I don't read many books or newspapers while riding, so why bother?
    >

    > I had a terrible time trying to read a map wearing single-vision contact lenses. At least us
    > over-40 nearsighted people can take the glasses off to read a map if need be. So the bifocals
    > might be useful, or consider if you will be able to take the glasses off when reading.

    Just want to add one more thing. IME, the bifocal makes it hard to check over my shoulder
    while riding in the drops. But then, I'm still on my first bifocals, so maybe I'll get used to
    it as I age. ;)

    Pat
    --
    Apologies to those easily confused. Address is spam-resistant. Correct email address like pdlamb
    'round-about comcast point net.