Prescription Eyewear

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by StillRiding5500, Feb 17, 2005.

1. StillRiding5500

StillRiding5500 New Member

Does anyone have an informed opinion about prescription eyewear in a wrap around style? Are inserts the way to go? What manufacturer? Please share with me your experiences.......

Thanks in Advance

Tags:

2. leslierc8853

leslierc8853 New Member

Prescription lenses can be placed on Oakleys. I have 2 pairs of Oakleys that I use- one dark for very bright days, another more amber-coloured that can transition to evenings.

3. peloquma

peloquma New Member

I use the adidas red devil wrap around with insert. I have two lenses (fogy days and sunny days) and one Rx insert. They come witha sweat band, nose bridge adapter, strap around and regular mounts, all angles adjustable. I can remove the insert and wear contacts for regular uses. I have increased my training routine just by using them, using contacts was really painfull for me, I could feel my hearth beat in my eyes. Use them for Cross Country skating, downhill skiing and cycling.

4. fix

fix New Member

I have Adidas Evil Eye eyewear. They sound similar to the Red Devils noted previously. They meet my needs. I've got two different pairs of tinted lenses, the adjustable nose piece, the temples adjust and the sweat guard is included. The prescription insert also makes it easy to clean the lenses - just remove, wipe and replace. All of this works for me.

The big benefit is the protection of my eyes from the wind. before, with my regular prescription glasses, my eyes were tearing as I exceeded 25mph. I can only imagine what it would feel like if I caught a stone or bug in the eye. The Evil Eyes really surround my eyes with plenty of protection.

5. peloquma

peloquma New Member

ya I have evil eye too, evil eye, red devil, i get lost in the lingo

6. biker7

biker7 New Member

leslierc8853...
    a great question and something many of us have to consider as we age. Where I am at as well. I ride with Oakley M-frames currently without presciption and I really need one. I am wondering the best way to obtain M-frame prescription lenses? I have to say, M-frames have been out quite a while but I can't find a frame I like any better. Anybody have any experience there? Also wonder what the maximum + dioper you can run with Oakley M-frames...have heard conflicting reports...some say +2.0 and I have heard +3.0 dioper is possible. Yeah...I am farsighted.
    Thanks for any perspective as well.
    George

7. palewin

palewin New Member

Like all things, there are trade-offs between inserts and prescription-lensed Oakleys. Inserts are less expensive, and if your prescription changes, you can easily change the lenses in the insert. But you now have 4 lens surfaces instead of 2, so in foggy damp conditions it is easy to get condensation inbetween the insert and the "prime lens" which is a problem. Oakleys with prescription lenses avoid this problem, are a better solution, but a lot more expensive (especially if you have to have several pair of prescription lenses in different colors). I use Bolle Paroles with an insert, change the prime lenses frequently (i.e. on different days) for example today I rode in the clear lenses (very cloudy), last two days in the regular sunglass lenses (sunny) etc. I simply couldn't afford to do that with Oakleys.

8. ksl

ksl New Member

I have a set of BBB powerview glasses. They have a clip on insert into which you get your prescription lenses put in. There are 3 sets of outer lenses - clear, orange and smoke/grey, which are easily interchangeable.

They are quite cheap (AUS$120, roughly around US$90), compared to similar things from Rudy Project which were around the AUS$400 range.

The prescription insert has a small surface area, so vision is best looking straight ahead. I am super short sighted (-9.0 diopters) which I am sure makes the distortion worse, but it works well enough for me.

BBB have a website - try doing a google search for "BBB powerview".

9. tonkoch

tonkoch New Member

I use the Bolle Vigilante and my wife uses the Parole. Both come with the RX insert and a variety of lens colors. I use them a great deal and aside from the usual problems with glasses they have been great. Don't notice a problem with the extra lenses when I use the insert. Sometimes I use them without the RX insert and wear contacts. Definitely see better with the RX insert but the glasses are much lighter without the insert.
    Good Luck

10. edd

edd New Member

It really depends on your script. if you are a multifocal, such as I, then be careful, if the inserts are too small you may have a problem. I have the Adidas glasses which are good, but i had some adjusting to do, fell over a couple of times. I think the Rudy Projects are better as they have a bigger insert and they flip up for easy cleaning and reduce fogging up. I may get a pair of Rudy Projects. when I have the cash.