Prescription glasses question

Andy Kriger

Guest
I'd like to have one pair of prescription glasses for day-to-day use that I can also use as cycling
sunglasses. I know about glasses with inserts but that seems a bit dorky for day-to-day wear. Does
anyone know if there are any cycling glasses that have interchangeable lenses that can be made as
prescription lenses?

thx andy

Andy Kriger wrote:

> I'd like to have one pair of prescription glasses for day-to-day use that I can also use as
> cycling sunglasses. I know about glasses with inserts but that seems a bit dorky for day-to-day
> wear. Does anyone know if there are any cycling glasses that have interchangeable lenses that can
> be made as prescription lenses?
>
> thx andy

I have tried all of the alternatives and have now had "Optique convertibles" for 2 years. These are
standard prescription specs which have really strong tiny magnets near the hinges. When you want to
turn them into sunglasses these lock on to a sunglass lens which has matching magnets. You only have
to place them within about 1cm and they get sucked on! They fit so closely that the whole setup then
looks like regular sunglasses as there are no big attacment clips. Quite expensive, about US$500...
some sort of ti material. I am not in US but presume they would be available. There are several
manufacturers using this setup.

You can try and find a decent optometrist. I chose the glasses I wanted, nice close fitting wrap
around Mistrals, and he made custom lenses to fit. Cheap as chips too, just A$100 in Australia.
These glasses are lighter and more wind stopping than any other alternative I have tried.

Good luck.

Tony Wilkins

--

news:[email protected]...

Check this site: http://www.e-rudy.com/ --dt

Andy Kriger <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I'd like to have one pair of prescription glasses for day-to-day use that I can also use as
> cycling sunglasses. I know about glasses with inserts but that seems a bit dorky for day-to-day
> wear. Does anyone know if there are any cycling glasses that have interchangeable lenses that can
> be made as prescription lenses?

Y'know before Greg LeMond wore Oakleys in the TdF all of us cyclists got by quite well without
sunglasses or perhaps the dime-store variety. Now of course we all know that we need "radical eye
protection" to cycle at all.

I used to have a pair of Oakley Straight Jacket frames with perscription lenses (not inserts). They
were pretty good for cycling but as you pointed out they look pretty dorky everywhere else. I did
have some problems with them though. They were so dark that I could only comfortably wear them on
very bright days, with the thicker perscription lenses they could not be adjusted so that my
eyelashes didn't brush the lenses, and they sat high on my face which was great for cycling but
light snuck in underneath when I was doing activities other than cycling. Luckily last time I took
my car in to be washed one of the attendants stole them. Now I have a pair of $99 sunglasses from
Sams Wholesale Club that are working out much better for me. They work just fine for cycling and I
don't look like an extra-terrestrial when I'm not cycling, my eyelashes no longer brush the lenses
and I can wear them when it isn't so bright that I have flashbacks of the landing scene in Close
Encounters of the Third Kind.

If you really need interchangeable lenses than one of the systems with an optical insert is probably
your best bet. I find medium strength brown lenses work well for me everywhere. They are comfortable
for my eyes and they increase contrast a bit without drastically distorting colors.

Bruce
--
Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company

I think you can accomplish what you are after by selecting a frame that is appropriate for riding
and getting custom clip on shades.

Your optician can tell you which frames will work.

On Tue, 13 May 2003 00:34:51 GMT, Andy Kriger <[email protected]> wrote:

> Does anyone know if there are any cycling glasses that have interchangeable lenses that can be
> made as prescription lenses?

Originally posted by Andy Kriger
I'd like to have one pair of prescription glasses for day-to-day use that I can also use as cycling
sunglasses. I know about glasses with inserts but that seems a bit dorky for day-to-day wear. Does
anyone know if there are any cycling glasses that have interchangeable lenses that can be made as
prescription lenses?

thx andy

Andy,

For years I used Bolles with Rx inserts -- but they were incredibly heavy and prone to fogging up between the two lenses, which made them almost impossible to wipe while I was on the bike. I finally went to Lens Crafters and got a great pair of Ray Ban frames fitted with bifocal sunglasses. Now I can read maps again. I also carry my regular glasses with me, which is far easier to deal with than swapping out lenses while your hands are sweaty.

In article <[email protected]>, dennisg <[email protected]> wrote:
>For years I used Bolles with Rx inserts -- but they were incredibly heavy and prone to fogging up
>between the two lenses, which made them almost impossible to wipe while I was on the bike. I
>finally went to Lens Crafters and got a great pair of Ray Ban frames fitted with bifocal
>sunglasses. Now I can read maps again. I also carry my regular glasses with me, which is far easier
>to deal with than swapping out lenses while your hands are sweaty.

I got a pair of Smith Moabs about 6 months ago, and had the optician put in a small bifocal at the
bottom of the RX insert. It worked out really well, and I can read the computer/HRM/route slips a
lot easier than I could before. I think it helped that the optician's husband did a lot of bike
riding, so she understood what I was talking about.

--
Mike Iglesias Email: [email protected] University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
Network & Academic Computing Services FAX: 949-824-2069