Prescription glasses question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Andy Kriger, May 12, 2003.

  1. Andy Kriger

    Andy Kriger Guest

    I'd like to have one pair of prescription glasses for day-to-day use that I can also use as cycling
    sunglasses. I know about glasses with inserts but that seems a bit dorky for day-to-day wear. Does
    anyone know if there are any cycling glasses that have interchangeable lenses that can be made as
    prescription lenses?

    thx andy

    Tags:

  2. Gmaker

    Gmaker Guest

    Andy Kriger wrote:

    > I'd like to have one pair of prescription glasses for day-to-day use that I can also use as
    > cycling sunglasses. I know about glasses with inserts but that seems a bit dorky for day-to-day
    > wear. Does anyone know if there are any cycling glasses that have interchangeable lenses that can
    > be made as prescription lenses?
    >
    > thx andy

    I have tried all of the alternatives and have now had "Optique convertibles" for 2 years. These are
    standard prescription specs which have really strong tiny magnets near the hinges. When you want to
    turn them into sunglasses these lock on to a sunglass lens which has matching magnets. You only have
    to place them within about 1cm and they get sucked on! They fit so closely that the whole setup then
    looks like regular sunglasses as there are no big attacment clips. Quite expensive, about US$500...
    some sort of ti material. I am not in US but presume they would be available. There are several
    manufacturers using this setup.

  3. >Does anyone know if there are any cycling glasses that have interchangeable lenses that can be made
    >as prescription lenses?

    Check out http://www.in-spex.com/home/index.html or at Zeal's web site Steve

  4. You can try and find a decent optometrist. I chose the glasses I wanted, nice close fitting wrap
    around Mistrals, and he made custom lenses to fit. Cheap as chips too, just A$100 in Australia.
    These glasses are lighter and more wind stopping than any other alternative I have tried.

    Good luck.

    Tony Wilkins

    --

    "Andy Kriger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'd like to have one pair of prescription glasses for day-to-day use that
    > can also use as cycling sunglasses. I know about glasses with inserts but that seems a bit dorky
    > for day-to-day wear. Does anyone know if there are
    any
    > cycling glasses that have interchangeable lenses that can be made as prescription lenses?
    >
    > thx andy

  5. Doug Taylor

    Doug Taylor Guest

    Andy Kriger <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'd like to have one pair of prescription glasses for day-to-day use that I can also use as cycling
    >sunglasses. I know about glasses with inserts but that seems a bit dorky for day-to-day wear. Does
    >anyone know if there are any cycling glasses that have interchangeable lenses that can be made as
    >prescription lenses?

    Check this site: http://www.e-rudy.com/ --dt

  6. Andy Kriger <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I'd like to have one pair of prescription glasses for day-to-day use that I can also use as
    > cycling sunglasses. I know about glasses with inserts but that seems a bit dorky for day-to-day
    > wear. Does anyone know if there are any cycling glasses that have interchangeable lenses that can
    > be made as prescription lenses?

    Y'know before Greg LeMond wore Oakleys in the TdF all of us cyclists got by quite well without
    sunglasses or perhaps the dime-store variety. Now of course we all know that we need "radical eye
    protection" to cycle at all.

    I used to have a pair of Oakley Straight Jacket frames with perscription lenses (not inserts). They
    were pretty good for cycling but as you pointed out they look pretty dorky everywhere else. I did
    have some problems with them though. They were so dark that I could only comfortably wear them on
    very bright days, with the thicker perscription lenses they could not be adjusted so that my
    eyelashes didn't brush the lenses, and they sat high on my face which was great for cycling but
    light snuck in underneath when I was doing activities other than cycling. Luckily last time I took
    my car in to be washed one of the attendants stole them. Now I have a pair of $99 sunglasses from
    Sams Wholesale Club that are working out much better for me. They work just fine for cycling and I
    don't look like an extra-terrestrial when I'm not cycling, my eyelashes no longer brush the lenses
    and I can wear them when it isn't so bright that I have flashbacks of the landing scene in Close
    Encounters of the Third Kind.

    If you really need interchangeable lenses than one of the systems with an optical insert is probably
    your best bet. I find medium strength brown lenses work well for me everywhere. They are comfortable
    for my eyes and they increase contrast a bit without drastically distorting colors.

    Bruce
    --
    Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company

  7. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    I think you can accomplish what you are after by selecting a frame that is appropriate for riding
    and getting custom clip on shades.

    Your optician can tell you which frames will work.

    On Tue, 13 May 2003 00:34:51 GMT, Andy Kriger <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Does anyone know if there are any cycling glasses that have interchangeable lenses that can be
    > made as prescription lenses?

  8. dennisg

    dennisg New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2003
    Andy,

    For years I used Bolles with Rx inserts -- but they were incredibly heavy and prone to fogging up between the two lenses, which made them almost impossible to wipe while I was on the bike. I finally went to Lens Crafters and got a great pair of Ray Ban frames fitted with bifocal sunglasses. Now I can read maps again. I also carry my regular glasses with me, which is far easier to deal with than swapping out lenses while your hands are sweaty.

  9. In article <[email protected]>, dennisg <[email protected]> wrote:
    >For years I used Bolles with Rx inserts -- but they were incredibly heavy and prone to fogging up
    >between the two lenses, which made them almost impossible to wipe while I was on the bike. I
    >finally went to Lens Crafters and got a great pair of Ray Ban frames fitted with bifocal
    >sunglasses. Now I can read maps again. I also carry my regular glasses with me, which is far easier
    >to deal with than swapping out lenses while your hands are sweaty.

    I got a pair of Smith Moabs about 6 months ago, and had the optician put in a small bifocal at the
    bottom of the RX insert. It worked out really well, and I can read the computer/HRM/route slips a
    lot easier than I could before. I think it helped that the optician's husband did a lot of bike
    riding, so she understood what I was talking about.

    --
    Mike Iglesias Email: [email protected] University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
    Network & Academic Computing Services FAX: 949-824-2069